FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The handle bar grips on my 2010 are too small (diameter). I need to install an over grip for comfort & control.
The bike has stock heated grips.
Recommendations for increasing grip size?
Will a foam over grip decrease the heater efficiency?
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I use Grip Buddies. Have used both but I prefer the neoprene grip feel better than the foam. Grip heaters may take a little longer to heat thru but they work just fine.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
2017 FJR1300ES and 2016 FZ-09
34 Posts
i used progrip grips but you have to buy 2 sets (around 30$) to use the throttle side for both left and right side since the diameter with heater for both is the same but too big for the none throttle grip

biggest outside diameter is progrip 714 which was too big for me so i went for 780

take off the old grips exposing the heaters, cover/coat with rubber cement (clear permatex rtv) and slide the new grips right on and wait a day for it to cure

Grip Puppies are nice but i don't prefer the foam feel

·
Registered
2021 FJR1300, 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2010 Vespa GTS 300
5 Posts
Ditto on Grip Puppies. I've used them on three different bikes and the heated grips work fine. They just take a little bit longer to warm up.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I thought the hea
i used progrip grips but you have to buy 2 sets (around 30$) to use the throttle side for both left and right side since the diameter with heater for both is the same but too big for the none throttle grip

biggest outside diameter is progrip 714 which was too big for me so i went for 780

take off the old grips exposing the heaters, cover/coat with rubber cement (clear permatex rtv) and slide the new grips right on and wait a day for it to cure

I thought the heating elements were built into the stock grips? No?

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES/2022 FJR1300ES
3,432 Posts
I much prefer Dave Reppert’s grip buddies to grip puppies. But either will allow ample heat transfer from the heated grips.
The handle bar grips on my 2010 are too small (diameter). I need to install an over grip for comfort & control.
The bike has stock heated grips.
Recommendations for increasing grip size?
Will a foam over grip decrease the heater efficiency?
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Dave's Grip Buddies..... get the Lite version unless you got real big hands.... they're just a smidge thinner than the regular ones. They don't absorb water like Grip Puppies.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
39 Posts

I tried the Grip Buddies and they only lasted a season. How did you remove the grip and leave the heaters? Did you use compressed air?

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts

So I looked at the parts fiche and there is no heating element, it's built into the grip itself. You must have aftermarket grip heaters. Correct?

·
Registered
2017 FJR1300ES and 2016 FZ-09
34 Posts
i have the stock grips but the owner before me must have cut/stripped the grip portion off from the heater portion
you can literally see the heater coils/wires when the grips were removed
must have cut length wise and just peeled it off to expose the heater coils, here are a couple of pictures
Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Wheel Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
You lucked out (y) For the prev owner to do that was cool. New Yami grips are over $100 a piece.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts