FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
507 Posts
This is the exact reason that I use a top case for my daily needs. I only side cases for my annual longer trip. Sorry, no solution for you except the inner bags mentioned

Reactions: CLyle

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
229 Posts
While I keep "Bigger" items in my side pannier's (lunch bag, grocery bag of clothes, rain gear) I find that putting the bike on the center stand helps keep things 'in' the side panniers. It's not a guarantee, but I find it helpful. JK

·
Registered
2020 FJR
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Similar to yours. But I keep forgetting what's in them and which one so I thought about getting it better organized. I've been looking for netting that I could Velcro in the pannier lids but so far haven't found what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
685 Posts
Don't know if it's still available but I have some bungie type cargo net that I use in the lid of my top box. I attached some small metal tabs around the edge then hooked the net in them and bent them down. I keep some rain pants, gloves other small items I want to be able to get to quickly. Got the net in Harbor Freight. 😀

·
Registered
2020 FJR
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Don't know if it's still available but I have some bungie type cargo net that I use in the lid of my top box. I attached some small metal tabs around the edge then hooked the net in them and bent them down. I keep some rain pants, gloves other small items I want to be able to get to quickly. Got the net in Harbor Freight. 😀
Thanks for the reference and for taking the time to reply.

PS I like you forum handle.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Hopnel makes smaller cargo nets with thinner cording.... the Goldwing guys use them.

Reactions: Sete Bond

·
Registered
2020 FJR
30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I pack the main part of the low side pannier with larger items such as tire pump, jacket liner, electric jacket, first aid kit, etc. I use small packing cubes to keep these organized. I use small bungee cords to keep everything in place when the lid is open. I find bungees more useful than the OEM straps.

Hood Product Trunk Musical instrument accessory Luggage and bags

I use netting in the lid to keep small loose items that I may want quick access to such as gloves, hat, GPS case, pinlock shield, etc. My preference is netting with softer elastic and smaller gaps than others I've seen.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

This setup let's me open the pannier without worrying about stuff falling out and I can find whatever I need quickly. The fact that it's all a little anal is a given.

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 79073

This setup let's me open the pannier without worrying about stuff falling out and I can find whatever I need quickly. The fact that it's all a little anal is a given.
I LOVE this net setup. I was attempting to velco a small net to the lid itself, this is so much better. I know I am reviving an old thread, but can you clue to me to where you might have purchased the net, and the anchors? I have the same concern, I would like to keep some smaller items like gloves without concerns about them falling out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I LOVE this net setup. I was attempting to velco a small net to the lid itself, this is so much better. I know I am reviving an old thread, but can you clue to me to where you might have purchased the net, and the anchors? I have the same concern, I would like to keep some smaller items like gloves without concerns about them falling out.
The net was from the lid of a Givi Trekker Dolomiti, DLM 30, top case that I had left over from a previous bike. This link shows one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/E166-Elastic-Carrying-Trekker-Dolomiti/dp/B07PH2QQ7F. The anchors are plastic cable ties with double-sided tape which I zip tied to the net. I've had to replace the doubled-sided tape on a few of the anchors with a stronger version. Otherwise it works well.
Font Material property Automotive wheel system Packaging and labeling Auto part

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use regular $20 backpack (it has 3 compartments and 5 pockets, so it's like an organizer already) in one pannier, much cheaper and easier to carry around (y) ...in the other pannier I keep a small Coleman hard shell cooler, perfect fit and great to keep your lunch / granola bars and cold beer drinks ;)

$100 to $200 for Yamaha bags is a rip off, considering these bags are just to contain small items (so any small bag of any kind will do), and usually we don't walk around with those "Yamaha bags", when in the motel you just bring the panniers inside.
View attachment 78449
Sadly I have had to lock the panniers on and not easy or practical at the end of a long day to try..... When they work properly it was great... Just ordered some inner bags... :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I pack the main part of the low side pannier with larger items such as tire pump, jacket liner, electric jacket, first aid kit, etc. I use small packing cubes to keep these organized. I use small bungee cords to keep everything in place when the lid is open. I find bungees more useful than the OEM straps.

View attachment 79075

I use netting in the lid to keep small loose items that I may want quick access to such as gloves, hat, GPS case, pinlock shield, etc. My preference is netting with softer elastic and smaller gaps than others I've seen.

View attachment 79073

Why can I only fit my jacket on one side and helmet and gloves on the other?

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
Depends- do you wear 'Circus Tent' size jackets and have a watermelon head :eek:? In my right saddlebag I have a jacket, gloves, windshield aerosol cleaner and a stack of cloths, and raingear. I can still stuff some smaller things in there like a bottle or 2 of water, etc. My left side has all kinds of stuff in of all things, a 2-sided leather golf shoe bag. Plus ballcap, wallet, cold drink, wipies, munchies, sanitizer, etc.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
I could hardly fit my jacket in one of the stock FJR bags. If you have a stiff back plate you have to get it in there just right.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Depends- do you wear 'Circus Tent' size jackets and have a watermelon head :eek:? In my right saddlebag I have a jacket, gloves, windshield aerosol cleaner and a stack of cloths, and raingear. I can still stuff some smaller things in there like a bottle or 2 of water, etc. My left side has all kinds of stuff in of all things, a 2-sided leather golf shoe bag. Plus ballcap, wallet, cold drink, wipies, munchies, sanitizer, etc.
I need to go on the melon head diet!

Are you 4 feet tall or something? Do you wear an old leather helmet that folds up? My jacket will fit better if I pull the armour out...I guess I should chock the wheels with it? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Well I can attest the cheese cake diet doesn't work.

• Haha
Reactions: BigOgre and Oldjeep
21 - 40 of 49 Posts