FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2020 FJR
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to the FJR. I love the ride and handling but I could use your suggestions about any after-market products that help to organize and contain stuff in the side bags. Every time I open them, lose items tend to fall out. Does anyone know of products that help keep stuff in the bag?

·
Registered
2021 FJR
200 Posts
My 2021 came with the FJR bags which are really nice. Pack stuff in the bags like packing a backpack and slip them into the side cases.

Reactions: JustBabs

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
The Canadian FJR's came without saddlebag liners, and we bought some from US guys selling them off........ I wouldn't be without those bag liners personally.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yamaha Canada wants $194 plus tax for the side case liners. Ouch! I use reusable grocery bags. Works for me, and at $1 or $2 per bag, they really work for me.

Haynes

Reactions: Damir

·
Registered
428 Posts
I remember seeing one rider securing something like black cardboard along the bottom third of the inside of the bag. Also someone suggested the trick of adjusting shorter the retractable cord/webbing that holds the lid from dropping all the way down. By doing that you'll keep the lid at a little more of an angle up and not allow stuff to fall out onto the ground.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Use a rucksack, but the bags are difficult to close if there is too much stuff in them, as you close them empty you can feel the locking pins sliding into place, you also need to feel that when they are full

·
Registered
2020 FJR
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the sidecase liners, and like them, but it can be difficult to find small items inside of them. I am looking for ways to organize various items that I typically want to access quickly, without having to rummage through the liner. I am considering adapting the camping approach of using different sized containers - such as would be used for storing food leftovers. Such containers are typically stackable, so might work well within a sidecase. But the containers themselves would reduce the amount of space inside the side case. Result would be less stuff in the side case, but better organized and easier-to-access stuff. Just musing at this point - with the COVID-19 restrictions on travel in my part of the world, I have no trips planned for the immediate future, so have the luxury of time to consider this solution and look for others.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I use regular $20 backpack (it has 3 compartments and 5 pockets, so it's like an organizer already) in one pannier, much cheaper and easier to carry around (y) ...in the other pannier I keep a small Coleman hard shell cooler, perfect fit and great to keep your lunch / granola bars and cold beer drinks ;)

$100 to $200 for Yamaha bags is a rip off, considering these bags are just to contain small items (so any small bag of any kind will do), and usually we don't walk around with those "Yamaha bags", when in the motel you just bring the panniers inside.
Rectangle Bag Material property Household supply Gas

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have the sidecase liners, and like them, but it can be difficult to find small items inside of them. I am looking for ways to organize various items that I typically want to access quickly, without having to rummage through the liner. I am considering adapting the camping approach of using different sized containers - such as would be used for storing food leftovers. Such containers are typically stackable, so might work well within a sidecase. But the containers themselves would reduce the amount of space inside the side case. Result would be less stuff in the side case, but better organized and easier-to-access stuff. Just musing at this point - with the COVID-19 restrictions on travel in my part of the world, I have no trips planned for the immediate future, so have the luxury of time to consider this solution and look for others.
That's very true, I have two bikes and the bags in each bike are packed with different stuff, the hardest part is to remember what's inside each bag, and yes there is no easy way to organize a "bag"... plus sometimes I add camera mounts, batteries, small tripods and other camera gear, and then forget to transfer it to my other bike :rolleyes:.
I use medium size freezer bags to pack small items, a bit easier to see the content, and they don't have a waste of space like Rubbermaid food containers.

In my previous FJR, Concours and GL1800Wing I had trunks, they are much easier to organize.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yamaha Canada wants $194 plus tax for the side case liners. Ouch! I use reusable grocery bags. Works for me, and at $1 or $2 per bag, they really work for me.

Haynes
$20000 for the bike. $200 to make the side cases easier to use, seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
598 Posts
$20000 for the bike. $200 to make the side cases easier to use, seems reasonable to me.
I think a $20,000 bike should come with the side case liners included, just like they do in the USA. They also probably cost Yamaha about $2 a bag to have them produced: $194 retail for the set is ridiculous.

Also, perhaps Yamaha should just design a side case that's easier to use, like a top loading case.

While we're on the topic of ridiculous, YES in Canada is beyond ridiculously priced, again especially compared to the price they pay in the USA.

Haynes

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think a $20,000 bike should come with the side case liners included, just like they do in the USA. They also probably cost Yamaha about $2 a bag to have them produced: $194 retail for the set is ridiculous.

Also, perhaps Yamaha should just design a side case that's easier to use, like a top loading case.

While we're on the topic of ridiculous, YES in Canada is beyond ridiculously priced, again especially compared to the price they pay in the USA.

Haynes
All very true.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Thanks for letting me know but I already have the liners.
What kind of stuff are you keeping in the panniers? For me those are just for groceries or clothes. Tools, little first aid kit, tire patch kit and compressor are all stored under the seat.

Reactions: Scott B
1 - 20 of 49 Posts