FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've purchased an 05 FJR ABS with only 14.5k miles on it. The thing is a beauty, and runs as good as she looks.

First portion is the mechanical side. In terms of reliability, what should I be looking to upgrade to make sure the bike stays happy? I have heard that the CCT is a must, which is what I have heard loads of bikes have problems with. I have also seen the throttle position sensor being an issue, should I look into that? When the bike is cold, the throttle seems a tiny bit boggy, but my R1 before did the exact same thing, and after about 2 minutes of riding, goes on perfectly fine (maybe a Yamaha deal?). I may also look into some customization of performance. Is there any recommended air intake mods that people do? And do these bikes take kindly to Power Commanders? Last but not least, there is some fairing right behind the front tire that covers the exhaust. Has anyone ever heard of modifying this? My R1 had this open to allow air flow through which makes me wonder if the same can be done here to keep things cool, or if it is necessary for proper radiator performance.

Now for the other mods, I have heard that an aftermarket seat makes a world of a difference. Is there such thing as a cooled seat? Otherwise, any recommended seats that I should be looking at? I also plan to put heated grips on the bike. Are there any other common mods that people do? (ie cruise control, air deflectors, dampeners).

I currently have handlebar risers and a larger windshield, but am looking to personalize this bike even more.

Good riding!

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
So I've purchased an 05 FJR ABS with only 14.5k miles on it. The thing is a beauty, and runs as good as she looks.

First portion is the mechanical side. In terms of reliability, what should I be looking to upgrade to make sure the bike stays happy? I have heard that the CCT is a must, which is what I have heard loads of bikes have problems with. I have also seen the throttle position sensor being an issue, should I look into that? When the bike is cold, the throttle seems a tiny bit boggy, but my R1 before did the exact same thing, and after about 2 minutes of riding, goes on perfectly fine (maybe a Yamaha deal?). I may also look into some customization of performance. Is there any recommended air intake mods that people do? And do these bikes take kindly to Power Commanders? Last but not least, there is some fairing right behind the front tire that covers the exhaust. Has anyone ever heard of modifying this? My R1 had this open to allow air flow through which makes me wonder if the same can be done here to keep things cool, or if it is necessary for proper radiator performance.

Now for the other mods, I have heard that an aftermarket seat makes a world of a difference. Is there such thing as a cooled seat? Otherwise, any recommended seats that I should be looking at? I also plan to put heated grips on the bike. Are there any other common mods that people do? (ie cruise control, air deflectors, dampeners).

I currently have handlebar risers and a larger windshield, but am looking to personalize this bike even more.

Good riding!
CCT - Yes, if it doesn't have the blue dot.

TPS - I'd wait till it gave problems.

Intake - some people put in a K&N filter. You can get marginal improvements in HP and torque with that and aftermarket mufflers. But it probably isn't worth the coin. Get mufflers if you want to change the sound. Don't expect a performance improvement beyond weight reduction.

PCommander - I'll let other weigh in.

Removing the bottom V in the fairing will not help your radiator/cooling and may do the opposite.

Almost everyone prefers an aftermarket seat. What works best is determined by your butt and the kind of riding you do. I have a Russell Day Long and love it. My next bike is coming with a Laam, which I hear is good. Sargent and Corbin are also out there.

Don't know how to cool a motorcycle seat. I think airflow would be the key there. Maybe a Beadrider?

Heated grips will make cool weather travel so much more pleasant!

Several cruise controls are available, from throttle locks up to an MC Cruise.

Reactions: Ace Handler

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
What Ludwig said ^^^

The only thing that I think you really, really need to do is the CCT if you don’t have the most current version, the rest can be done at your leisure.

As far as a PCommander goes, before I spent that money I’d have Ivan do a reflash on yours, my .02.

Performance wise, there isn’t much to be gained with the fjr, as Ludwig said you can do performance cans on the pipes. Which will/maybe give you a more pleasing sound but as far as more power goes the only added gritty-up will be from the reduced weight only. Intake side, a K&N will maybe/sorta add something (probably not) with a pc reflash being your best bet there.

Truthfully though, the only reason I added a K&N to my14a is because mice seem to really like the fjr air box and the oiled K&N seems to make them look elsewhere.

So, in summary in my opinion do the CCT as soon as possible, it’s a must do thing if it’s the old one, past that, just ride and enjoy your bike and then, you can take your time on deciding a seat, etc. my .02

·
Registered
105 Posts
cct must have a blue or green dot not just blue. green is the latest revision blue is previous, no dot is bad one

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Way,,,, it’s a Cam Chain Tensioner.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase!!!! I too just purchased a gently used 2005 the end of July. Performance mods, not really worth the expense from what I have been reading and talking to a few members here. Changing the mufflers will get you about a 3.5hp gain and about $800-$1300, depending on brand, out of your wallet with a decent tone change.

Ivan offers a reflash for the '06 up according to his site, but I haven't called him to see about our '05's what he offers.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300_g2.htm

First thing is to check to see if your cct has a blue dot or green dot on it. No dot, it is straight from the line. You can stick your finger in on the right side of the tank between the frame and the black rubber panel, lift it up, and then use a flashlight to look direct at the top of the cct. In my first thread there are pics and others comments of my questions similar to yours.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-fjr-central/150869-new-me-05-fjr.html#post1261551

CCT
check brake pads
check fork seals for leaking - mine are horrible full rebuild soon
brake fluid flush and fill
throttle body synchronization
valve adjusment
check air filter
drain and replace coolant
and I have purchased a 2016 rear shock to go on mine as mine may only have 43k miles on it, but too weak for my 290lbs that list is my list of to do. I bought mine from a 72 year old man so I am not worried that it has been abused at all. Hope this has helped

David

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,268 Posts
Can't say much more.... check that CCT and if no dot on it, replace it at the earliest opportunity (be sure to follow the proper procedure). The one you buy today will be the latest revision, get the gasket to go with it.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
It's a valve check. An adjustment is performed only if required.
Many riders have been happy with a Beadrider to keep the family jewels cool and happy.
A shock alone won't stiffen up an under sprung suspension. You need the proper spring for your weight.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi David,

I'm 74 and I cannot have claimed to always be gentle with my bikes. :)
LOL thanks for the chuckle John! I can attest to this fellas appreciation of taking his time. Out of the 5 bikes he had in his garage, his favorite and most mileaged bike was his 650 Vstrom. He has rode that bike all over the USA. Last trip was from Danville Ky to Alaska and back. After I got my bike home from purchasing it I was doing a little detailing on it. Got to the gauges and was cleaning away on the speedometer for a couple of minutes and not having any luck. Grabbed the flashlight and realized he had literally taken a fine tip paint pen and made a line about the 62 mph mark and the same length as the red tip of the needle. I quit trying to get it off as I wanted to leave it to remind me of the day I bought it, and how cool he was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree with the concept of having the ecu flashed for the biggest bang for the buck. I did this on the Concours I just sold. It was a far bigger improvement over the Akrapovic slip on muffler. For well over half the cost. I’m getting to the point that I prefer less noise from the exhaust system. Other than the weight savings, there isn’t a tremendous power gain. Just my. Two cents

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just checked Ivan's site and there is no flash yet for GEN I FJR's. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I may also look into some customization of performance. Is there any recommended air intake mods that people do? And do these bikes take kindly to Power Commanders?
It's not a Harley. There is very little bolt on horsepower to be found.

I have a Series III. By about 10 years into the life cycle of the model, MamaYama has done a pretty good job getting the EFI dialed in, but from most of my reading, FJR riders seem to use the PC to cure rideability problems, not power - or rather, lack of power problems.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you want to spend the money on it, get a full exhaust from Delkevic, headers and all, get a K&N filter, and have IVAN flash your ecu for your mods. Gonna be a lot of money for a handful of HP though. Probably not good enough bang for buck, unless you buy a part every so often over time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Corbin or sargent announced a cooled seat last year for a few bikes. Mostly baggers. I just ordered the corbin seats and backrest with heat. Ill post on how they seem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2005 I’m thinking of selling, can I ask how much you paid? Mine has all the goodies installed and just curious what the market is like.
Power commander works well, fork brace, bar risers plus rear off set , Cruise on grip���� Header exhaust pipe but stock mufflers.
Corbin seat, my bike was the mold model and I got them free ��C.Baileys windscreen too

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since an opinion was asked, I'm not a fan of modding. Backyard engineers often just end up creating new issues for themselves... more work, move expense, less seat-time, less enjoyment. Do the necessary bits like the CCT, maybe some LED replacements and a horn add-on** for visibility and audibility, and otherwise leave it alone.

** Do it right or don't do it at all. For example: https://www.r6-forum.com/threads/guide-for-wiring-new-horns.444878/post-5749514

1 - 20 of 23 Posts