FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently own a 05 warrior handles well in turns ,whats the difference between both bikes as far as tork and taking those turns in the twistees,by the way i put a deposit on my 06 fjrA look foward to owning one........................................

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
BWAHAHAhAHAHAAHAhahahahahaha... :lol:

Check out the differences between the two:

weight? power? torque?

Then consider the basic handling differences of a cruiser versus a sport-tourer (more lean angle on the S-T, etc.).

Given a rider of equal skill, the FJR will leave the cruiser in the dust. In the best case, the cruiser might take it off the line, in a straight line, but not keep the lead for long.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I've ridden a Warrior. It has good torque but I don't recall the exact torque and HP figures. I think they are both lower than the FJR. The HP by a wide margin. The torque figures are closer. Nevertheless, I think BOunce is being generous with the off the line acceleration guesstimate. The Warrior would be left for dead in any acceleration matchup, then when you got to the twisties it wouldn't have a prayer, given identical riding skills. The lean angle is quite a bit farther on the FJR. However, in the context of cruiserdom, the Warrior is quite good in the twisties both in acceleration and handling. But given its weight differential compared to the FJR there is no comparison. Hope this helps.

Glenn

Welcome to the board BTW.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have great difficulty (a polite way of saying "this is such BS" ) believing that any cruiser could pull out on an FJR anywhere, at any portion of the power band. The power to weight ratio is so heavily in the FJR's favor, it just moooves. Scared the heck out of me the first time I rode it. Took it through the redwoods from Oregon to the CA coast and then did a long ride on 80 eastward, and was amazed at how well it does in both arenas. You will be happy, just hold on....

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Belly said:
Ever heard of chalk and cheese; Well thats about the story :lol:
I agree with Belly, they are not the same animals at all.
Any big engine cruiser will have it max torque in the 2-4thou region and will be very quick ie: Vee Rod & Rocket 3, it would be tough to get one of these off the line.

·
Registered
38 Posts
FJR vs Warrior??

Night and day, water and oil....what comparison? Each has two wheels and that's just about where the commomality stops! While the FJR certainly won't (in theory) run with crotch rockets on a super twisty road it is plenty fast, good handling and-based on my '03 with Corbin saddle and bar risers-l-o-n-g distance comfortable.

Other than that...practically, almost, but not quite the same riding expierance...almost! I love my 1200R Sportster, but no way can she stay with an FJR...at all. Methinks you should be in for some very enjoyable riding. DFO :D

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Loki said:
I have great difficulty (a polite way of saying "this is such BS" ) believing that any cruiser could pull out on an FJR anywhere, at any portion of the power band.
Beware gentlemen. There are cruisers on the street that will hand you your huevos in a little stoplight skirmish. Some of those customs, that are barely rideable in anything but a straight line, will smoke you, up to 60 - 70 MPH. (remember, the only 'performance' most of these chaps are interested in bragging about is 'straight-line go.'

Take heart though, once the custom gets to the end of the straight line, his air-cooled S&S will have either blown up, or he'll have no hope of making that first turn (unless you're in Florida). :lol:

On the Triumph Rocket 3 I rode a few weeks ago... the rider doesn't have to do anything right, to be doing 70, almost instantly.

By the same principle, an FJR has a chance with some full sportbikes, because it requires less technique to get rolling. An R6 can whomp an FJR in a drag race, but the R6 rider has to launch it almost perfectly.

There's an old video floating around on email that had a guy on a souped up Harley (not a v-rod or full custom, but the heavy 'deuce-type') that really surprised a guy on an R1... almost beat him. The R1 barely pulled it out in the end. An FJR rider in the same situation would have been embarrassed. :oops:

- -

FJRK9, you'll absolutely love the FJR. You'll feel like you're floating over the pavement on a smooth, rocket-sled compared to the Warrior. The ease of turning and braking will shock you as well. Then, after you've ridden 1000 miles or so on it, and you get another ride on the Warrior, you'll wonder what you ever liked about it. 8) - That's my prediction, anyway.

:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
According to the Dec 2002 MOTORCYCLE CONSUMER NEWS the stats for the Warrior/FJR are:

• .........................Warrior/FJR
    Rear wheel HP..... 71.8/120.7
    rear wheel torque..92.4/87.6
    max speed...........125mph/153
    0-60mph secs....... 3.93/2.97
    0-100mph secs...... n/a /6.84
    1/4mi secs............ 12.25/10.68
    1/4mile mph..........105.52/126.28

edited to make clear that both HP & Torque values are measured at rear wheel, not at crank.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I still want to meet the guy that can do a true 10.68 on a stock FJR. :lol:

·
Registered
405 Posts
The stats quoted are for 2002, so I think the 1300 has, as of 05, 20 more horses. Would this not throw the other stats/comparisons off? I just don't like dissing the FJR.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Who's dissing the FJR?

...and when did it gain 20 HP?

Did you know that few mere mortals could do 10.68 on a Hyabusa?

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
That's my point. Magazine numbers are always far fetched. Normal-sized people can almost never get within a half second of 'magazine times'... and that MCN number on the FJR is 0.3 sec under any other magazine number I've seen.

Example - a buddy of mine got really serious drag racing his FZ1. With motor mods, exhaust, extended swing arm, lowered front end and race rubber, he still couldn't get within 2 tenths of Cycle Worlds 'stock bike' number, even correcting out reaction time. He was getting almost 140 to the ground after the mods (over around 125 stock). He's not a big guy, about 140 pounds. When his bike was stock, with the front end strapped down, he was like 8 tenths off the magazine time.

I'm not saying the FJR isn't a totally fabulous performer. I just have to chuckle when I see magazine times.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
...and when did it gain 20 HP?:)
The new Fjr is more likely to have less HP than the 2002 due to restrictions laid down by the government.

In the UK the Fjr is stated @ 143 at crank -15% in friction losses= 121.5 @ rear wheel, not to bad the shaft takes a lot of the power.

But with good maintenance & running-in the percentage should become less, maybe only 10%.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have no doubt that a Hyabusa /machine/ is capable of a 9.84s 1/4 mile; I just don't think that there are more than a handful of pilots that can hit each shift point perfectly with the throttle wide open... 8)

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Wess said:
I have no doubt that a Hyabusa /machine/ is capable of a 9.84s 1/4 mile; I just don't think that there are more than a handful of pilots that can hit each shift point perfectly with the throttle wide open... 8)
Yup. And keep the front wheel down perfectly, and avoid wheelspin, and keep it going straight, and getting it launched in a perfectly coordinated fashion, and do all this while weighing 85 pounds. :lol:

I've even seen lower magazine numbers for the 'busa.

IIRC, other magazines agree that the FJR is closer to 11 - 11.1... still pretty darn impressive for a 'touring' rig. :D

- -

Are you trading-in the Warrior, K9... (or will you be selling it after you've had your 12th FJRgasm? :p )

I do have to say, if I lived in flat, western Florida (where I annually rent HDs instead of wearing the middle of my own bike's tires) I might have a bad-boy cruiser in the stable, like the Warrior.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts