FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured people might like to see (one of) my other bikes, which has a front suspension system inspired by the Britten V 1000. Geometry is adjustable in many ways via arm length (upper and lower), upper ball joint connection (threads in and out of fork to control trail), and shims under lower ball joint (tweaks dive rate). Basic configuration / behaviors were determine using Tony Foale's "funny front end" program, design was done in head / using wood models. Did 100% of the fabrication myself, and tested the construction by bolting the frame in a jig via engine mounts and putting ~2,000 lbs force on axles in various directions (measured via crane scale).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apocalypse coming? '82 Seca 750?
Frame is from an 80 seca, title from an 81, engine from an 82 maxim (all 750's). And yeah, although it started as an experiment in handling / suspension, the aesthetics skewed rat / PA enough to win me a few trophies at related shows.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
That’s just wild Seb ! Is that a gas tank as the rear fender ? Show bike ? Where’s the chrome & polished aluminum ���� lot of innovation there, good job ! How’s it ride ?

What’s the little bottle there by the rear shock for ? It looks like it should have a lot of range, any lighting like a headlight or tail light ? How about some more pic’s ?

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
527 Posts
Mad Max, Beyond Minnesota!

Starring, Seb Wiers

That is totally rad, Seb!!

Nicely done!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's just wild Seb ! Is that a gas tank as the rear fender ? Show bike ? Where's the chrome & polished aluminum ���� lot of innovation there, good job ! How's it ride ?

What's the little bottle there by the rear shock for ? It looks like it should have a lot of range, any lighting like a headlight or tail light ? How about some more pic's ?
Yeah, the rear fender is the original (heavily rusted) gas tank. I cut out the bottom, coated the inside with bed liner, bolted it up.

Wasn't built as a show bike, has 7k miles on it! But has won a spot in every show entered. In one case that spot was "ugliest bike", which was the only category with a trophy (a toilet paper dispenser made from handlebars).

The bottle is for gas, the range SUCKS, is like 80 miles plus 10 (if that) reserve. Bottle gives me another 15 for safety. The actual tank (vs fender) is from a Virago, and has a cavernous tunnel (the battery is under there, as well as coils and some other stuff). If the back tank was actually a tank, would be nice... I do have another Seca tank, may figure out how to rig that some day. But there's other things

1 - 7 of 7 Posts