FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought something so simple could turn into such a chore.

The Story so far......

I want to install this RAM fixture onto the stem nut at the top of the fork-yolk/Tripple-tree (for want of the correct term) on my 05 FJR1300.

My initial approach was to buy a new stem nut (so I could replace the old one if I came to sell) and tap it to accept the 1/4"-20TPI (UNC!) thread on the RAM ball.

However, when I received the replacement stem nut, I discovered that the top was only 2mm thick, which is not thick enough to tap.

My next thought was, OK, I'll drill the stem nut and bolt the RAM ball from behind. So I removed the stem nut from my bike and then discovered that the fork post is solid (I was under the impression that it would be hollow) and there is no space behind the stem nut to accomodate a nut for the RAM ball.

So.... after several days thinking about this, I have come down to two options....

1) Drill a 'well' into the top of the fork post (about 15mm dia and about 10mm deep) to make space for a nut to hold the RAM ball.

2) Purchase a 'raised' stem nut from Techmount (via Bike Johnny). This appears to have a raised/thicker top to accept the bolt that holds the Techmount StemStand in place. The problem with this (apart from the £26 + shipping) is that I think this is already taped but I don't know what thread diameter and TPI is is taped with. I could end up with an expensive paperweight.

I am currently thinking of option 1, but am not shure if this small mod to the fork post will cause a weakness or other problem. Do we have any engineers here who could comment?

To save a little bandwidth, I should say that I am aware of other mounting options (mirror mount, RAM Universal mount, Dashboards, StemStand etc.) but I like my RAM mount and I want it central on the stem nut if at all possible (not that I'm stubborn or anything :lol: )

Any help, gratefully received.

Regards,

Glenn

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Clearance hole through the stemnut, and drill and tap into the fork post to take the ball fitting?

Has the advantage that the hole in the centre of the post will be a lot smaller, and so weaken it less, but if the threaded portion on the ball is as shown in the photo then it might not be long enough to reach.

Or maybe get your local engineering shop to make up a new stem nut with a thicker top? Might be expensive unless you know someone with a lathe in their shed who's looking for something to do

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply marshman.

Yes, I'd already considered this (tried lots of things, but in the interests of keeping the post to a reasonable size, I left them out). But the fork post already has a small 'well' (about 4mm by 4mm) in the top center (you'd think someone was deliberately trying to prevent me from reaching my goal) and like you say, there is not enough length on the RAM post to reach down.

Thank's again.

Glenn

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver made a very clean RAM installation on his R1 that I will also use on mine. It uses a jam bolt for an off road bike hand guard run into the steering stem. That secures the RAM offset ball mount. On the R1, the stem nut does not have a cap style nut as the FJR does so if you've drilled yours, it should work.

Liquid, ya got those pics to make it all crystal clear for this man? I printed mine and cleared the email.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Why dont you lenghten the thread on the Ram ball, ie, screw the ball into a threaded sleeve which would be long enough to fit some all thread at the other end thus allowing a longer thread.
or
Take off your stem nut (05 Ali) and have an ali nut welded on the top for extra strength.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Glen

Have just gone through this process with a thread last week asking for advice.

Purchased the stem mount from Biker Johnny with locking Touratech mount, fitted in minutes, tried it out last Sunday no problems - a bit expensive but as they say you get what you paid for.

Teejay

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
RAM ball mount on the R1.

This is what the taperlock mount looks like...

He keeps talking about the 'fork post.' Do you mean the steering stem? I have absolutely no recollection if the steering stem is hollow or solid... but those taperlocks fit into a 13mm ID... about 1.5" deep. Sounds like the steering stem nut replacement may be the best option, of you want the GPS in the middle. I didn't want it there, because it would be a problem with tankbags.

I don't think I have any pictures of the installation on the FJR... but I used one of those offset ball mounts in the unused threaded mirror mount on the left handlebar. I use my left hand to operate the GPS anyway.

Here's the same mount on the Ducati.

That offset RAM ball really comes in handy, because it can be mounted at any degree of rotation, which enhances the range of motion of the arm. It's RAM part number - GRAB11

I have these RAM balls on my ATV, my mountain bike, my dirt bike, my street bikes... so the same mount works for any vehicle.

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Got my jam nut in today and this mount (liquidsilver's) is so clean, so easy and so solid that to do anything else just seems like the hard way.

As best I remember, the stem is hollow on the FJR because my 03 model had a regular nut but the 04's and later came with the cap style nut. In any case, get though the top of the cap nut and this easy and solid mount will put your GPS where you want it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Knnleg, just go to your local hardware store and ask for a 1/4-20 "T" nut. Drill out the cap to allow it to fit through. Cut off the three or four prongs and use tha approppriate spacer to thread the ram ball through.

OR...just mount a double hole ram ball (looks like liquidsilver's but with two holes) on the front fuel tank mount with long bolts and spacers. I'll try to get a pic of mine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
worldbound4now said:
your link requires a username and password. Can you post the pics here?
Certainly;

Well, having looked at the multitude of different solutions I opted to try the simplest for the BO Austria tour and it worked a treat. I needed a bit of luck however and for once luck was on my side.......

Parts;

1. RAM-B-252 mirror mount from gpsw.co.uk @ 10 gbp
2. M8 x 50 S/S bolt (a couple of euros from the local DIY store)
3. 2 washers to compensate for the 11mm mounting hole on item 1
4. A suitable spacer to sit between the handlebar and the underside of the mount.

Ah! theres the problem - a suitable spacer. What I need is something like those old Fazer grab rail spacers I've got knocking about in my bits box. OMG!! they're a perfect fit into the handlebar and a perfect height for the mount. I just turned scrap metal into gold

A picture paints a thousand words as they say so the following show how it all hangs together. Ignore the nut on the final pic. It just keeps all the bits together..................

The mount really keeps everything out of the wind / weather although I do slide an Aquapac (minus its plastic lock) over the whole caboodle if it looks like heavy rain.

I tightened the bolt to 25 NM torque (std bolt is 23 NM) and finally, I opted for the left side position as I figured that the tacho was the instrument I could most easily do without. I just need that 6th sense to figure out when I'm in top and not to go hunting for 6th

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Here's an early version bar mount but vibed a bit,

This is my first frame mount also wobbled

And this is what I'm using at the moment
&

Fits inbetween the bars and does not move.

·
Registered
247 Posts
FJRandy said:
OR...just mount a double hole ram ball (looks like liquidsilver's but with two holes) on the front fuel tank mount with long bolts and spacers. I'll try to get a pic of mine.
I used to do that with the VFR but I couldn't get it to fit the FJR :?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
20valves said:
As best I remember, the stem is hollow on the FJR because my 03 model had a regular nut
Guess I don't remember too well after all. U.S. '03 cap nut was steel, '04 and later are alloy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Shakey said:
FJRandy said:
I used to do that with the VFR but I couldn't get it to fit the FJR :?
Look at the pic above that says frame mount MK1. That's exactly how I did mine. Hasn't moved or loosened up in three years now. The Ram mount needs some slight filing of the two holes, but fits right on there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many thanks for all the replies guys.

I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to respond. Based on these replies and those from some other forums, I've ordered a Techmount stem nut and intend to drill/tap it to take the ball (I'm told the existing thread in the nut is smaller than 1/4", so there is room to open it out).

Once I have the completed install, I'll post some pics.

Woody, I thought your Idea was excellent, I'd never thought of making an adapter to lengthen the thread. But since I don't have access to a lathe, it would probably cost more than the (admittedly expensive) stem nut from Techmount.

Shaky, Thanks for that, If I failed to mount on the stem nut, then this would be the next best as long as I could find a suitable spacer.

20valves & liquid, Thanks for the info, but the 05 FJR has a solid post and won't take a 'jam' bolt (would require drilling our far more material than I'd be comfortable with).

Once again, many thanks people.

Regards,

Glenn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to complete the thread, I Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my final install.

As I mentioned, I ordered the Techmount replacement stem nut from Bike Jonny. The original nut on an 05 FJR1300 looks like this...

And once you remove it, you are presented with this solid (execept for a smallish hole about 4mm dia by about 5mm deep) post...

Here is the replacement techmount nut which has had it's centre hole drilled out and taped (by local engineering firm) to take the 1/4" - 20 TPI thread of the RAM ball...

And here is the combined item installed on the bike. This is all that is visible when the GPS mount is not installed...

This means I can now mount my TomTom 'One' using the Brodit cradle combined with the normal RAM system. This takes around 20 seconds using the excellent RAM system. This is how it looks from the riders perspective...

This is the setup I was after, and is MY prefered solution.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and general feedback.

Regards,

Glenn

1 - 20 of 30 Posts