FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am picking up my 06 tomorrow-desert metallic colour. it was a big decision to trade in my beloved suzuki bandit 1200(2000 model)-i loved that bike for its grunt and comfort and user friendliness. however a few months back i started to get new bike fever. i was hoping suzuki would totally revamp the bandit-you know more hp, less weight-a hayubusa with a half-fairing and high bars would have been nice. then i read the 06 ban dit would only consist of mainly cosmetic changes so forget renewing the love affair with suzuki. 06 fzi-sounded tasty and looked sexy. i didnt expect the new fz1 to pull down low like the bandit but was disappointed to read virtually all ride reports of the world launch said it was gutless down low so forget the fz1.i have always liked the fjr, especially since all tests have been so praisefull. though always thought it was a tad too expensive-also didnt like el cheapo looking instruments. i have owned bmws(fours and twins) so know the foibles of shaft drive. took a 03 fjr around the block a couple of years ago and was surprised to feel hardfly any shaft effect. so last week when the salesman said he had a demo on the floor i was there as quick as i could. just like the first ride the biggest impression was lack of bulk and the fact that the fairing doesnt look as big or enclosing as it does when looking at it parked. yamaha claim 264kg dr(!!!) but the fjr felt as easy to throw around as the bandit-no way it felt like it weighed 44kg heavier. of course push-parking it you neede a bit more effort. the gearbox felt pretty good considering there was 17km on the clock. engine felt very very smooth but didnt have the chance to open her up. yamaha say they have made the gearing higher for ok which i was frankly p****d off to learn because i like grunt and response-feelin a big motor just pull away from ultra-low revs in top gear. however since the measured hp and torque of the fjr are quite high and come on low in the range im hoping Grunt with a capital G will still be evident. was also dubious about the full-fairing-i prefer a half-fairing better to cop a bit of cold and rain rather than sweat in the summer but yamaha claim the 06 is cooler engine-wise and rider-wise. oh yeah-they improved the instruments with extra ancilliary readouts-something to look at while on the long lonesome highway. anyway one more sleep and ill see if the expectations deliver. age 53-previous big bikes owned: 1977 BMW R/100S 1980 BMW R100RT 1984 BMW K100 1990 BMW k1 1993 BMW R110RS 1994 TRIUMPH SPRINT 1998 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 2000 SUZUKI BANDIT 1200

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.