FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a beautiful ride from Tulsa to Wichita? Try riding west on 20 from north of Tulsa to 18 up into Kansas.

The only problem was when a rather large (OK, F$*# HUGE) Buzzard decided to check my rection times. He lost.

I cannot say I recommend letting a bird with a 3' + wingspan bounce off of you at 70 m.p.h. My former left mirror didn't think much of it either.

The Givi V46 held up well. In fact it has more guts that the bird does or should I say it now has the bird's guts. yuck.

OTOH it was a beautiful ride.

Peace, out,

Thom

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Sounds like it's a good thing the only guts we're hearing about were formerly the bird's, and not the rider's.

I once got a baseball-sized bruise from a blue jay. I shudder to think if it were a bigger bird.

Lots of reports in the helicopter community of larger birds coming through the plexiglass and removing the flesh from the crew's shins... and they're not moving much faster than FJR-nominal speeds.

:) - on bikini patrol in FL

·
Registered
426 Posts
According to the road atlas, the roads going into and out of the Gray Horse Indian Reservation look to have some curves in them too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
A few years ago (pre-FJR days) I was riding my dirt bike (TTR600) at about 90KM/H along a smallish track in central New South Wales (Australia) when I copped a Kookaburra ( Australian Kingfisher family type bird....on steroids!!) straight on in the chest. I tried to avoid the bloody big thing but I couldn't. I bruised 4 ribs and was thrown of my bike. :cry: My chest felt like a truck had hit me.... and had an equivalent size bruise. I was wearing body armour thank god....I could have been the first man in history to be killed by a Kookaburra. I never could find the bird after the prang....I wonder what ever happened to it?

I know what you guys went thru...I feel for ya. :wink:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I personally knew 2 guys who were killed by by hitting birds on motorbikes, in separate incidents. They both hit big owls at night.

·
Registered
192 Posts
oklahoma

Those black vultures don't move too fast. I hit one with the windshield of my car at about 80. Scared the crap out of my son who was riding as a passenger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My favorite was the time I was cruising down a gravel road looking for a friend's house. I was holding my tinted faceshield up on my full face helmet so I could read the street signs.

A frickin' huge hornet flew into my helmet. Startled me so much I dropped the face shield. Now I'm trying to control my bike and avoid crashing while a really pissed off hornet is swarming around inside my helmet....

·
Registered
949 Posts
zmlw3 said:
A frickin' huge hornet flew into my helmet. Startled me so much I dropped the face shield. Now I'm trying to control my bike and avoid crashing while a really pissed off hornet is swarming around inside my helmet....
Damn - thats gotta hurt !

·
Registered
405 Posts
Riding an ancient Honda 450 right through the middle of Oakland, CA before helmet law were enacted. Come around a bend in the road, right into an entire hive of bees migrating to who know's where while I am dressed in a Tshirt, shorts and sunglasses. I am now sensitive unto death to bee stings.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
During my open face helmet days in the late 70's, a June bug hit me square in the upper lip. I thought I'd broken a tooth. Didn't taste that bad though.

A buzzard? That'll do damage, glad you're ok and even more glad you discovered an actual curvy road in Oklahoma (Talimena notwithstanding).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Riding at dusk in PA backroads, got hit by a bird, didn't see it, just felt it hit the front left corner of my helmet.

Saw a tourist in a truck pull into a gas station with a bald eagle imbedded in his grill. The bird was spread eagle (no pun intended) on the grille like some put glue on it's back and glued it to the grille. It was still alive and trying to bite anyone who wanted to get it off. I couldn't see it living after they did.

Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not as much as the time I came over a hill and found a herd of cows in the road....but that's another story...[/quote

You just say MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE....

And your tryin to decide whats best to hit in this split second of response time :crylarf:

sorry but i relate to that one...

·
Registered
737 Posts
arkninjazx9 said:
Not as much as the time I came over a hill and found a herd of cows in the road....but that's another story...[/quote

You just say MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE....

And your tryin to decide whats best to hit in this split second of response time :crylarf:

sorry but i relate to that one...
The same thing happend to me. Not only was I trying to miss those big four legged critters, but also what they left ALL OVER the hyway. :shock: The bike was no longer the original color. In a lot of places...it was a shitty green. :crylarf:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts