FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
20w50 Valvoline 4T motorcycle oil. Available at NAPA and lots of other places and meets all specs. Gear shifts are very smooth as well. About the last thing I would use is diesel oil unless of course I had a diesel. lol..lol..

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
20w50 Valvoline 4T motorcycle oil. Available at NAPA and lots of other places and meets all specs. Gear shifts are very smooth as well. About the last thing I would use is diesel oil unless of course I had a diesel. lol..lol..
Even if it carries the JASO MA and MA2 specifications?
Rectangle Mammal Font Parallel Magenta

·
Registered
196 Posts
my 2009 service manual simply states recommended oil 20w50. That's what I use Mobil1. And when oil changes get cooler I mix 50/50 with 10w40. I also use the oversized WIX recommended filter 57356 to ensure the flow. I do agree a 10w50 is the best if you can find it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Even if it carries the JASO MA and MA2 specifications? View attachment 88194
Last time I looked at a jug of Rotella there was no mention of JASO specs. I tried the 15w40 and promptly drained it because I didn't like the way the transmission shifted. With the Valvoline all is well.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,002 Posts
Last time I looked at a jug of Rotella there was no mention of JASO specs. I tried the 15w40 and promptly drained it because I didn't like the way the transmission shifted. With the Valvoline all is well.
Jaso specs have been on there forever. For me the 15W rotella feels better than the 10w Valvoline and Castrol I have tried. I will say that the FJR has been the most finicky bike I have owned in terms of oil and how fast it seems to wear out. I'm on 3000 mile oil changes.
Product Automotive tire Font Drink Bottle

Liquid Sports equipment Fluid Household supply Gas

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,788 Posts
Jaso specs have been on there forever. For me the 15W rotella feels better than the 10w Valvoline and Castrol I have tried. I will say that the FJR has been the most finicky bike I have owned in terms of oil and how fast it seems to wear out. I'm on 3000 mile oil changes.
My '07 is like James's '10- hated Rotella, likes Valvoline. For about 100K miles that's all I used in it. I've always thought the same "princess oil finicky" about it. My '13 performs extraordinarily well with Mobil1. Never used anything else.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
So, when was that? The JPG I posted was the specifications portion of their product data sheet, which I've included here. And you can get a shot of the back panel of a bottle of 15w40 T6 on Amazon or any number of other sources online. It's not hard to check.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,265 Posts
Rotella T5 does not have any JASO mentioned. T4 and T6 do.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well, I never used Rotella T6 because I'm not a big fan of any full synthetic oil. I think I tried T4 or maybe T5 and there was no mention of JASO specs. The other reason I shy away from synthetics is what it can do to BMW oil seals and BMWs are the bikes I've pretty much always owned for the last 45 years. My FJR is a very new experience for me and the longer I own it the more I like it. Bought it in '16 and I've long been curious about the FJR ever since I ran across a Canadian fellow on a new 2005 FJR up near the boarder.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I’ve been using 20W-50 365 days/year since I got my first Yamaha back in 1995 (FZR1000), followed by several R1s and now my FJR. I’ve had zero issues. None. Zip. Goose egg.
But in the end, use what you feel the most comfortable with, and above all, change your oil & filter regularly.
Cheers!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts