FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 AE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on changing to Amsoil and they recommend their 10w40 M/C oil. The manual states that 20w40 is the recommended oil and Amsoil has that in their V-twin category. Which should I use?

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
749 Posts
OIl and weights have been beat to death in this and every forum on the planet for decades.

The search function at top middle of the page will yield you days on days of reading.

·
Registered
FJR Novice
42 Posts
If you want to get a good oil answer and want to try something besides the owner's manual recommended fluid options, don't go to the forums. Get into lab sampling and get answers for yourself. The masses are full of opinions and passion, but quite often very little to back their tenacity.

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
<sigh>
If you flog this dead horse enough, it might rise to its feet and run. But probably not.

If you are paranoid enough, just follow the Book recommendations. Otherwise, modern oils are good enough and MamaYama's recommendations are conservative enough that you should be able to use your judgment. Then next time, just stick to whatever worked for you the last time.

Me? Even though I live in north Texas, I have used Shell Rotella T-6 5W-40 year around since 2014.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,804 Posts
Here in the hot southeast 10w-40 is fine. No need for 15, 20 or 50w. And yes, confirmed several times over on different bikes by Blackstone Labs.

·
Super Moderator
4,183 Posts
If you want to get a good oil answer and want to try something besides the owner's manual recommended fluid options, don't go to the forums. Get into lab sampling and get answers for yourself. The masses are full of opinions and passion, but quite often very little to back their tenacity.
If REALLY concerned about if the recommended oil is best (and not just casting about for something to do), getting periodic samples tested is affordable and the oil equivalent of actually dyno tuning a bike instead of throwing parts at it and assuming they worked [or worse... "butt dyno" with the associated money-spent-bias (I spent $ so I feel an improvement)].

·
Registered
522 Posts
See? Now that's taking the thread off topic. You specifically asked about motor oil, not blinker fluids. So back on topic and being we're moving past summer into fall you should take advantage of the seasonal offerings:

Liquid Bottle Bottle cap Automotive cleaning Fluid

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Your manual probably gives a chart of acceptable viscosities with 20w40 as their preferred. Amsoil 10w40 will be fine. I ran it in my 2013 model for about 92,000 miles. I actually used Amsoil because my best friend was a dealer, and I wanted to help him. That's no longer the case, so I used Rotella T6, 15w40, until it got hard to find. I'm now running Mobil 1 motorcycle oil.

There are probably a kajillion different oils that would be just fine. Amsoil is but one of them. ;)

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
Perhaps this will help you decide on viscosity...... first a little FJR history..... The Owner's Manuals up to 2009 did not specify a temperature range for the 20W40 recommendation, and the only place you could get it was from Yamaha, thus steering you to the dealer as the only source. Also at that time, the oil filters of that era were mostly 30 micron filters. Keep in mind too that all the internal parts (engine bearings, etc.) have the same part numbers from 2003 to present.... i.e., the engine hasn't really changed internally in all these years.........

So, the Owner's Manual in 2010 finally gave you a temperature chart..... for you sticklers of 20W40 or 50, you have to move into modern times..... you shouldn't really be using those below 50F if that chart is to believed..... 10W40 on the other hand handles a greater range of temperatures, and likely all you'll ride in. And I would advise from personal experience, you shouldn't use 20W with today's filters, which mostly are 21 microns..... When Purolator PureOne's came out (21 microns), I was using 20W50 in my '07, and in cooler temps, I didn't like the start-up noises I heard for the first few seconds..... I switched to 15W40 and that lessened to almost gone, also read that Purolator did not recommend PureOne's be used on motorcycles.... (9-11 GPM flow, vs. 11-13GPM for 30 microns). Now most of the new filters are 21 microns, so what you want upon start-up is maximum flow you can get to vital engine bearing areas quickly, i.e., thinner (10W) oil.

Maybe most of you don't ride if it's 40F outside, but I do...... if you're using 20W40 or 50, it can work for you, but I suggest you try it when your bike is parked at 40F or lower.... listen with your ears for noises.

Here is a pic of the original Yamaha filter back in the 20W40 days. Many were sticklers for using the OEM filter...... a blob of I dunno what, but I'm sure glad they're gone....... Things have changed, so I'm suggesting you move into the 21st century and consider a switch to 10W40 or thereabouts and leave that 20W stuff on the shelf. Your engine bearings will thank you.

I'm also including the 2010 Owner Manual oil recommendation (first year for the chart), and the modern one from Gen3 manuals.

Automotive tire Wood Tire Gas Cylinder

Gas Font Electric blue Automotive tire Jewellery

Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Number
Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern Number

1 - 20 of 32 Posts