FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
It appears that Yamaha does not want to go less than 20W for this engine as it runs really warm. 20WX50W Castrol GTX is my choice. Spec calls for 20WX40W but you never know when you'll need to ride across the desert. :wink: :shock:

·
Registered
737 Posts
redhawk said:
It appears that Yamaha does not want to go less than 20W for this engine as it runs really warm. 20WX50W Castrol GTX is my choice. Spec calls for 20WX40W but you never know when you'll need to ride across the desert. :wink: :shock:
:? :ale:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cold Idle Rpm

The cold idle rpm is affected by the oil viscosity. Using 5w- oil will result in a higher rpm and 20w- oil a lower rpm.

I noticed after changing to 5w-40 that the cold rpm was higher than what I'd seen using 15w-40 oil.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oil

I have about 12.4k on my '04. Was a believer in Motul 300V 15w-50 until recently. Was using on my '86 FJ1200 for many miles. Mechanic/racer recommended it.

I got to thinking. Looked for Motul website. Could no longer find a US site. Used to be one. Been thinking of Mobil 1 bike oil. Talked to a Triumph rider a few weeks ago, he switched his over to Mobil 1 a while back. He believed that he could tell a difference. Kept thinking.

Switched over to Mobil 1 a couple of rides ago. I think I can tell a difference. Rode with a buddy, he has an '03 FJR. It appears his fan comes on sooner than mine. I think that my fan comes on less often. Can't quantify.

I'm a true believer in www.tufoil.com an additive. Been running in a modified BMW four banger for years. 130k miles on a custom engine. I DRIVE it. 260k total miles on the car, 26 sets of tires worn out. Machinist that built the engine recommended the Tufoil. He was correct. I use 1 ounce per Qt, in the FJR. Motul didn't want me to run Tufoil with their oil. One reason why I was getting a little thoughtful about Mobil !.

I came back from a ride once on the FJ1200. I had just gone through the carbs, set them up and all. Took the ride. Bike was running righteous. Found a couple of Tufoil "doses" in my newly arrived supply while changing the oil on my BMW. Added them to the FJ. Damned if idle RPM didn't go up by about 150/200 RPM! Had to readjust!

I use Redline and Tufoil in my '05 Mustang GT, couldn't wait to change over, did engine and trans at 4.6k. Added a 10% mix of Tufoil to the 5 Spd. Transmission.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
bobsfjr said:
The lower value on a multigrade oil only affects the viscosity when the oil is cold. I have been running Rotella T synthetic 5-40 W for 15,000 miles and the bike loves it! :D
As Bobsfjr said the lower the first value the better as I run 10-40w and have done for years and if it was cheaper I would run 0-60w but the temperatures in Britain not cold enough anyway.

I had a Fj12 3CV air cooled (for members who dont know) and due to the old tech design I used 20-50w but it ran better with 10-60w as it didnt like running in town.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just did another oil change on my 06 FJR. Its been really hot here in NJ, so bought some Castrol GTX 10-40 and 20-50 together to get a bit higher viscosity.

Runs great, good quality dino oil you can find anywhere.

cz

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
czguybilly said:
I just did another oil change on my 06 FJR. Its been really hot here in NJ, so bought some Castrol GTX 10-40 and 20-50 together to get a bit higher viscosity.

Runs great, good quality dino oil you can find anywhere.

cz
Your joking arent you? as GTX is car oil (clutch slip) and you shouldnt mix oils as all sorts of nasties could happen!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.