FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is 7:30 pm, rain has stopped, finally have left the dealership after waiting 3 hours for a break in the rain. I just didn't want to get the new 06 dirty on the short ride home - after all tomorrow (Sunday) was going to be a sunny day and I planned for a 200 mile maiden voyage to seat the rings, stretch its legs and see how this beast compares with my beloved CBR1100XX. By now the dealership has been closed for hours.

I am approximately 2 miles from the dealership running at 55 mph. The ambient temperature has fallen into the high 30s and I must admit I'm tired an cold after waiting in the damp cold for 3 hours. I look down at the instrument cluster - and the OIL light is full on. I pull off the road at the first opportunity and shut her down. It's getting dark - rain is starting again - I'm not happy. The manual says the oil light comes on when the oil level is low - not when the pressure is low. The bike had not been running hot at all when this occurred.

I check the site glass and the oil level is fine - turn the key on - oil light on then off, OK - restart - oil light on-off as normal. I ride the remaining 7 miles home - no oil light.

What do you think?

I promise a full rider report if I take her out today.

·
Registered
425 Posts
the oil light comes on because the oil level switch has determined that the oil level is low...this happens to me almost every day that my bike is cold and so is the oil...the oil has a hard time flowing when cold and gets hung up in the head.....my '03 does this almost every day for about a week after changing the oil...good reminder to let the engine warm up before leaving for the ride....my '05 has done this only twice...I use 20-40 when the weather gets warm and use 10-30 when the temp highs are only going to be in the 40's....have a great breakin ride and enjoy...let us know how you like the ride

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fjrville said:
the oil light comes on because the oil level switch has determined that the oil level is low...this happens to me almost every day that my bike is cold and so is the oil...the oil has a hard time flowing when cold and gets hung up in the head.....my '03 does this almost every day for about a week after changing the oil...good reminder to let the engine warm up before leaving for the ride....my '05 has done this only twice...I use 20-40 when the weather gets warm and use 10-30 when the temp highs are only going to be in the 40's....have a great breakin ride and enjoy...let us know how you like the ride
Thanks. It just happened again - a few minutes after I started out with a cold engine- after church - it been in the high 30s. I stopped, light was gone when I re-started, came on again for a few seconds and went out. I then proceed to bring it up to 100mph at half throttle then backed off quickly - trying to get the rings seated. I have 25 miles on the clock and really want to ride for a few hours today. I'm gone.... thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
The oil warning light is pressure based, not soley for the oil level. The sight glass on the left of the engine is for checking the oil level. If the oil level is low enough to bring the light on, it means the engine has no oil pressure anyway, so it's a must stop situation, it is next to nil level or an oil pump problem (doubtful)
I would suggest a fault in the switch before looking for any other problem.
I've had mine anywhere between -12c and +42c and never once saw the light come on.

·
Registered
163 Posts
FWIW, every time I change the oil and filter on my '05 that happens at least once, sometimes twice. I guess the oil just needs to git 'round some before it's happy...

I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps up...

·
Registered
177 Posts
And for what it's worth, some folks might not be sure, the FJR comes from the factory with fully synthetic oil and should never be changed back to a mineral 20/50 or similar. Makes for a longer break in period, but that just means more fun on the road :mrgreen:

PS: as a mechanic in a former life, please never change from fully synthetic back to mineral, it does horrible things to the internals. Make sure any synthetic oil you put in the FJR is designed for motorcycles, such as Castrol R4 or similar, these will not damage a wet clutch.

If on any motorcycle, you want to change from synthetic back to mineral, use a flushing oil for 30 miles at working temperature, and take it very easily, no need to change the filter at this point.

Then change the oil and filter as normal.

Going from mineral to semi or fully synthetic just change oil and filter as normal.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
malki said:
the FJR comes from the factory with fully synthetic oil and should never be changed back to a mineral 20/50 or similar
That must be new to the '06 as this was not so on earlier versions.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
malki said:
And for what it's worth, some folks might not be sure, the FJR comes from the factory with fully synthetic oil and should never be changed back to a mineral 20/50 or similar.
I hadn't heard that, and am interested in confirming this info. Any confirmed source?

·
Registered
177 Posts
@ 20 valves - mine was an 02 UK model and it came with fully synthetic as standard. So nowt to do with 06 models unless they have changed the spec since then, but I doubt if they would adjust the spec backwards.

·
Registered
425 Posts
David...all the FJR's that have hit the states have mineral oil....no sign of synthetic yet.....

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
How do you know what type of oil the factory, or anyone else, has put in the motor????

That's why I always do my own oil changes, so I know what's going in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Castrol Formula SLX is a fully synthetic and as I posted a little while ago, they print a warning in their tech spec "The low friction characteristics of CASTROL FORMULA SLX makes it unsuitable for most motorcycles that incorporate wet clutches in combined engine and transmission systems." Though I've just rung my dealer who confirms that he has been servicing mine with a synthetic for the past four years. So I guess there are synthetics and then there are synthetics? Bears out the old adage RTFM!
________
Rolls-Royce Motor Cars

·
Super Moderator
3,959 Posts
malki said:
The oil warning light is pressure based, not soley for the oil level. The sight glass on the left of the engine is for checking the oil level. If the oil level is low enough to bring the light on, it means the engine has no oil pressure anyway, so it's a must stop situation, it is next to nil level or an oil pump problem (doubtful)
I would suggest a fault in the switch before looking for any other problem.
I've had mine anywhere between -12c and +42c and never once saw the light come on.
IIRC the earlier models (US 2003 for example) are oil LEVEL based and not pressure based. A good hit on the throttle could move the oil level to the back of the pan and cause the light to come on in some cases. I think Mammy Yammy changed that somewhere along the way.

·
Super Moderator
3,959 Posts
20valves said:
malki said:
the FJR comes from the factory with fully synthetic oil and should never be changed back to a mineral 20/50 or similar
That must be new to the '06 as this was not so on earlier versions.
I'd have to agree. Up until recently the owners manual and factory service manual recommended Yamalube 20w40. That's a full dino oil; not a synth or blend.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Back to the original subject. I don't think this is right. The oil light should NOT be coming on. Take the bike back and get it checked out.

Alan

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
This happened a couple of times to me - BUT - this was like four years ago.

I think the problem was riding the bike before it was fully warmed up.

It has never happened since.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
My 1989 FZR 1000 did this constantly when cold, my '98 R1 did it occasionally, my '03 FJR never did it. I was hoping they had this one figured out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I posted this same 'issue' a couple of years ago, had a great explanation from Torch, who we don't see any more :cry: , his explanation related to a mechanical level sensor in the case and hard acceleration or banking the bike significantly when it is cold can cause the light to come on. I can duplicate it when the weather is cold any time on a specific bit of road if I jump on after work and just go. Most times now, I let the old girl ('04) warm up while I put my ear plugs in, helmet and gloves on, and the rpms have settled down to 1,100, then I go with no false alarms.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oil Level

Just a spin on the whole subject of oil. I don't wish to debate the pro's and con's of synth or mineral, I just want to know who checks their oil in the level window hot and who checks it cold. I have just phoned my service agent to question the overfilling of my '03 ABS, services after great 3600km ride along South Africa's east coast and arid interior. The techie stated that he only checks the level window when it's hot? I am now doubting my own logic. If this has been debated at length before, forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I believe the manual says to check it after running it a bit after an oil change so I suppose that means it should be checked hot, or at least pretty warm. I don't think a few extra ounces will hurt anything. An extra quart could be a problem. Not sure how much overfill it will tolerate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts