FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is 7:30 pm, rain has stopped, finally have left the dealership after waiting 3 hours for a break in the rain. I just didn't want to get the new 06 dirty on the short ride home - after all tomorrow (Sunday) was going to be a sunny day and I planned for a 200 mile maiden voyage to seat the rings, stretch its legs and see how this beast compares with my beloved CBR1100XX. By now the dealership has been closed for hours.

I am approximately 2 miles from the dealership running at 55 mph. The ambient temperature has fallen into the high 30s and I must admit I'm tired an cold after waiting in the damp cold for 3 hours. I look down at the instrument cluster - and the OIL light is full on. I pull off the road at the first opportunity and shut her down. It's getting dark - rain is starting again - I'm not happy. The manual says the oil light comes on when the oil level is low - not when the pressure is low. The bike had not been running hot at all when this occurred.

I check the site glass and the oil level is fine - turn the key on - oil light on then off, OK - restart - oil light on-off as normal. I ride the remaining 7 miles home - no oil light.

What do you think?

I promise a full rider report if I take her out today.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had a simular glitch with my 04. It's happened to me a couple times the morning after changing oil. I noticed when I first start up with new oil the light did not come on and stay on for few seconds like you'd expect. The next morning a couple miles from home the light came on. I like you stopped and when turning it back on the light was out. I attribute this to some kind of glitch which delays the reaction of the error? I'll bet your experiancing a variation of the same glitch in the cpu's memory?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fjr vfr said:
I've had a simular glitch with my 04. It's happened to me a couple times the morning after changing oil. I noticed when I first start up with new oil the light did not come on and stay on for few seconds like you'd expect. The next morning a couple miles from home the light came on. I like you stopped and when turning it back on the light was out. I attribute this to some kind of glitch which delays the reaction of the error? I'll bet your experiancing a variation of the same glitch in the cpu's memory?
Thanks. It just happened again - a few minutes after I started out with a cold engine- after church. I stopped, light was gone when I re-started, came on again for a few seconds and went out. I then proceed to bring it up to 100mph at half throttle then backed off quickly - trying to get the rings seated. I have 25 miles on the clock and really want to ride for a few hours today. Think that will be oK?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Has an administrator deleted my posts on this subject? and if so, why? They were 100% accurate in my opinion as a mechanic in a former life !!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
No Malki, somehow Joe has managed to open two threads with the same title and your relpies are in the other one.

other thread

1 - 8 of 8 Posts