FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an oil leak that appears to be coming from the pickup rotor cover, where the wiring enters. Recently, I was in there to do valve clearance check. I used a new gasket and 8.7 foot pounds. I’ve ordered another new gasket. Anyone else have trouble in this area? Any gasket treatment - permatex? It seems it might be difficult for a metal gasket to seal with the rubber block for the wiring. The rest of the engine is dry. First panic was the valve cover gasket. (It took some time to soak the foam in the fairing and start to spot the garage.

Thank,
Ray

·
Registered
262 Posts
I know many time we are told by the gasket manufactures .. no sealant needed .. I say bull..always get leaks ..I stopped believing them :)
Use a thin layer of Permatex grey or Black .. runs about 8 $$ for a tube ... works for all your gasket needs :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I got some “ultra black.” Both sides of the metal gasket I assume? Back in my day, RTV, silicone bathtub caulk, was the only thing that kept the points dry.

Thanks all,
Ray

·
Registered
212 Posts
You don't need sealer with that type of gasket however, as posted above (and likely in the shop manual) Yamabond sealer IS to be applied around that rubber grommet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably a dumb question, willing to take abuse. Where does the oil come from in the pickup rotor compartment? Run down the cam chain? And how/where does it return? Area is wet but no volume to speak of. Ive been looking for some kind of flow diagram, no luck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Probably a dumb question, willing to take abuse. Where does the oil come from in the pickup rotor compartment? Run down the cam chain? And how/where does it return? Area is wet but no volume to speak of. Ive been looking for some kind of flow diagram, no luck.
Oil is pumped up to the camshafts, obviously comes out (oils valve springs, etc) and via gravity/moving parts, is slung about and down (into the cam chain, clutch, etc) area's..

It eventually drops / returns, (again gravity) to the crankcase.

Your Yamaha shop manual should have the oiling diagram.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an FSM. I’ll look some more. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,268 Posts
As said above, gravity and sling, no oil pressure in there. Gasket does have a wee strip of sealer on it, but always a little film of RTV on the grommet will fix you up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oil is pumped up to the camshafts, obviously comes out (oils valve springs, etc) and via gravity/moving parts, is slung about and down (into the cam chain, clutch, etc) area's..
It eventually drops / returns, (again gravity) to the crankcase.
Your Yamaha shop manual should have the oiling diagram.
In addition to that, the outer main bearing of #4 cylinder is right there behind the lower cam chain sprocket and while running, oil is constantly squeezing out from there to then drain back into the crankcase.
Clearly there is quite a bit oil going through that area..

I've got a Yam Service manual and it does have some good schematics of the oiling system....
Regards,
Mr. BR

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all. I scraped all surfaces with plastic razor blades. Wiped them down with brake clean. Oh, I pulled the grommet and cleaned it with the other surfaces. Ultra Blacked the grommet to case. Put a smear of ultra black on the grommet surface that meets the metal gasket, installed gasket and hand tightened the bolts. Dry. I reused the same metal gasket as I got tired of waiting. Why is everything so hard.

Thanks again,
Ray

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the leak is back. Can’t believe it. I will trying again tonight/tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,268 Posts
What do you mean by metal gasket... I only know of the special paper one.... sounds like time for a new gasket and a smear of RTV on the grommet.

Reactions: justacrossthehill

·
Registered
624 Posts
I restore vintage bikes and on my Z1900 bikes the electrical grommet has always been a problem. Recently I decided to use a product I use on my boat Its a sealer used for sealing the bellows on a lower unit and is called bellows sealant. You can get it at most boat stores.
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/86166q1-adhesive-bellows
The stuff is super tacky and has stopped many leaks besides the grommet leaks. I think it is better in an oily area that RTV.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ever consider replacing the rubber grommet? Rubber hardens and shrinks with deterioration/breakdown.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a heck of a time getting the valve cover on after the valve check.I just noticed oil in a valley of the frame just above the pick-up cover. I now suspect a valve cover leak that is running down the frame. Initially I suspected a valve cover gasket but everything looked clean. It is difficult to see along side of the engine. Tank will come off again when I run the fuel down.

Thanks for putting up with me.
Ray

Cra-Z1 - I had a 1976 KZ900. Bought new in Fall of 1975. Wish I still had it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had a heck of a time getting the valve cover on after the valve check.I just noticed oil in a valley of the frame just above the pick-up cover. I now suspect a valve cover leak that is running down the frame. Initially I suspected a valve cover gasket but everything looked clean. It is difficult to see along side of the engine. Tank will come off again when I run the fuel down.

Thanks for putting up with me.
Ray

Cra-Z1 - I had a 1976 KZ900. Bought new in Fall of 1975. Wish I still had it.
I think you need this https://tinyurl.com/y65snakc
florescent dye and you need the light and goggles for another $15 you will beable to see all
sources of leaks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had similar issues with oil leaking from the valve cover post-service on my YZF. I actually bought a new valve cover gasket to install. Comparing the old to the new, didn't really see enough of a difference. So I used silicon spray to perfect the old gasket + double/triple check the mating surfaces on the valve cover head. Made sure it was everything was perfectly aligned for installation. Leaks ceased. New gasket stored away for later use.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,268 Posts
Gunsight down the end of the valve cover to ensure the two half moons are seated...
Can try to feel along the front edge to see if seal had slipped out of the groove when installed. Might even be able to shine a flashlight along the front edge but you'll have to remove the side fairing.
Can also use foot powder spray to detect oil leaks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts