FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering this 25 litre drum of Castrol GPS from this company after doing a search for cheaper oil:

http://www.geo-broughton.co.uk/prod...cial-automotive/motorcycle-oils-products.html

It works out at £19.34 per 4 litres (including delivery) against retailers £25-26.

Could do with some advice -

Anyone had bad dealings with them?
Is it feasible to buy such a large quantity - i.e. does oil have a shelf life?

I change my oil every 3000 miles, plus I have my Honda Cub90 and my mate uses it in his Blackbird.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Halfords fully synthetic motorcycle oil is around £25 for 5 litres, and they often do special offers on it. Think the last one I bought was around the £21 mark. They even had it on '3 for the price of 2' for a year back. :D

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
MM is right Halford are selling 5ltr for £21? something and it's the same grade.

So you would bepaying £4.84 a ltr

Halfords would be £4.40 a ltr @£22 a can

·
Registered
632 Posts
Be careful with fully synthetic. If it isn't designed for bikes, you may end up with a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Alan,
The Halfords oil is motorcycle specific and designed for wet clutches. Has worked fine in both my FJRs for umpteen thousand miles.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Excellent - I may well purchase some myself then, since the dealer KINDLY put fully synthetic in on the 600 service...

Alan

[the word "KINDLY" is a tad sarcastic since I have always used semi-synthetic on the grounds that fully synthetic is overkill for a normal bike]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, thanks for the above

I've bought Castrol GPS on a buy 2 get 1 free basis before from Halfords, but it depends when their offers come up. I'm in need of some oil soon-ish.

GPS is a semi synthetic of course, and I've always used GPS.

I have considered Halfords own brand in the past, but - a big but - I didn't want to use fully synthetic. I didn't want to prompt an oil debate either :lol:

So, what's to do - does anyone know if oil has a shelf life?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks REV

I've already sent an e-mail enquiry to Castrol UK and asked the question. They have responded in the past to an enquiry.

Now here's an interesting thing - Castrol UK now have a help section and you can check what lubricants they recommend, which include the FJR.

Guess what - R4 Superbike fully synthetic is their first choice with GPS semi as second.

Let's have an oil debate.......... :D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those who may be interested in the outcome, I got a response from Castrol UK (very quick, only sent over the weekend):

Hi Dave

We normally give a rule of thumb of 3 years for shelf life, but stored
properly I wouldn't have too many issues with stretching that to 4 (
just check it's clear and bright )
Other thing is to buy some with a mate ( or few mates ) so it gets used
quicker - and you share the cost.

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Castrol Technical Support

1 - 10 of 10 Posts