FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today there was no oil visible in the site glass so I added about 5 ounces and it was fine. That means in 3000 miles it used 5 ounces of oil. Has anyone else monitored oil consumption and is this about the normal amount? I've been using sunthetic since about 3000 miles on the bike and it now has about 33500 miles total.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's pretty good. I just went through a tad less than a quart in about 5,000 miles..granted that had to involve a moderate amount blowing through the vent (serious Interstate mileage for about 3-4 days at warp speed) 8) . For the most part, <1/2 a quart every 4,000-5,000 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How long had the bike been left without the engine running?

Was the bike left on the side stand or the center stand?

The last time you checked the oil was it on the side stand and now when you checked it it was on the center stand?

When you checked the sight glass the last time, had you just changed the oil and didn't fill the oil filter before you put it on the bike?

Be careful about overfilling the oil!

I rode an 04 for 30,000 plus miles and never burned one drop of oil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did a 5000km trip in June and my consumption was about 8,000miles/litre. Mine has always used oil. No idea where it goes either. I asked the same question on the old forum. General consensus was some do, some dont. I just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
In 40 years of continuous bike riding, I have never had a bike that uses oil. All the oil I put in at one service, I take out at the next service, and none disappears in between. And I stick to book service intervals, I'm not one of those guys who changes the oil every week.

What are you guys doing to these bikes. :? :?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Many years ago an exceptionally talented mechanic (not "techncian" or whatever the buzz word is now) advised me that a motor which uses NO or little oil is not a good thing. Hey..what do I know :? I do know he had forgot more than most ever could claim to ever known.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Well, I've done trips right around Australia, 16000 Km, 2 up and pulling a trailer, and cruising at around 5000 Rpm, and still not used any oil.

And I've never had to overhaul a motor, or even put in new rings.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Acmemfg said:
Many years ago an exceptionally talented mechanic (not "techncian" or whatever the buzz word is now) advised me that a motor which uses NO or little oil is not a good thing. Hey..what do I know :? I do know he had forgot more than most ever could claim to ever known.
I've heard people say that same thing. But I've had motors that never seemed to burn a drop between changes that were seemingly indestructible and ran forever, so... :?

:)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree....., I have never had a bike that drinks any oil and they remain fighting fit, i wonder if its the old fashioned idea of a carefull and not too carefull running in period that i always do that helps the long term oil consumption / motor bedding in, as i have mates who firmly believe that quick out the crate is the best way, and i know when i follow them that as miles rack up i notice the puff of blue smoke when used hard. modern build tolerances as they are and ceramic coated bores etc. etc, i wonder if its been nursed in much too lightly, or blasted straight from the crate, either way, i ride fairly hard to be honest, and oil consumption on all previous FJR's has been zero between services.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine was blasted straight out of the crate and it uses oil. I'm told there is the occasional puff of blue smoke as well but it doesn't always happen, only sometimes. Hard to match the oil smoke to my throttle action. As I said it doesn't bother me, (unless it migrates into full blown ticking).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Bernie said:
Well, I've done trips right around Australia, 16000 Km, 2 up and pulling a trailer, and cruising at around 5000 Rpm, and still not used any oil.

And I've never had to overhaul a motor, or even put in new rings.
Without re-opening old "wounds" I am convinced that a new engine that is run in with periods of moderate to heavy load / accelleration is the key to a well "sealed" life with minimal oil burn. Periodic heavy loading and hard accelleration throughout an engines life also helps to maintain good ring to bore contact. The engine doesn't have to be flogged just made to pull moderately to load the rings up. A ceramic or chrome bore is no guarantee of a perfect, "non oil burning" seal from day 1.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
waldy said:
i wonder if its the old fashioned idea of a carefull and not too carefull running in period that i always do that helps the long term oil consumption / motor bedding in, as i have mates who firmly believe that quick out the crate is the best way, and i know when i follow them that as miles rack up i notice the puff of blue smoke when used hard. modern build tolerances as they are and ceramic coated bores etc.
Both my FJRs (and just about everything else) were blasted right out of the crate, and they never used a drop.

The Ducati's the first bike I've had that likes a couple of ml every couple thousand miles. No smoke though.

:)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I've mentioned once before, a long time ago, that I once saw a documentary on one of the big Japanese bike factories, can't remember which one. Anyway, as the bikes came off the production line, they all go straight on the dyno.

The dyno operator starts the brand new, stone cold motor, gives the throttle a couple of blips to clear it's lungs, then immediately snaps the throttle wide open, and runs the motor flat out for about 5 minutes.

If it doesn't blow up, and makes specification power, the bike gets crated and delivered.

After I saw that, I stopped worrying about running in new bikes, I just ride them as I normally do.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I ran mine as per the manual (keep it below 4,500 mostly and use the gears etc). In 3,300 miles it has not used a drop.

·
Registered
139 Posts
32,000 miles on my 04 FJR, and I have never had to add any oil between services. Oil level drops a little, but stays well within limits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts