FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm getting ready to do a oil change, I'm probably going with Mobil 1 T4. Has anybody noticed a difference in gear noise with different oils?

Steve

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
559 Posts
Hi Steve,

I use AMSOIL, 10W40 , and I have noticed no change in gear noise... It still sounds like a Singer sewing machine at idle! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ReRose

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hi Steve,
I use AMSOIL, 10W40 , and I have noticed no change in gear noise... t still sounds like a Singer sewing machine at idle!
Skippy,

How many miles on your FJR? Checked your valve clearances lately? As the engine ages, valve clearances get smaller, and the valves will get quieter. Once a valve leaks, that valve can burn, and serious trouble can happen in short order.
Some amount of clicking there may be preferable. As long as your valves are set within specs, you are golden there.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
42k and I checked them last summer. They were spot-on.
Powerplant is quiet, I was referring to the tranny whine, that these bikes make at idle.

But once you crack the throttle, Boy-Howdy! It sounds good!!

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just shy of 14k, the motor is quite, just the standard gear noise from the tranny and balancer shaft. most of the whine goes away by 4k rpm and I don't hear it at cruising speed. Was just wondering if different oils affected the gear noise. I had a GM QL6 6 liter that had cold start knock, Mobil 1 helped a lot on quieting it down while Pennzoil made it worst.

Steve

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I have used both Mobil1 and AMSOIL and it did not change any sounds on Orion.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have noticed a stickier tranny shifting but with ear plugs in Ive never noticed a whine.
My bike had Amsoil in it and I changed it out with PENNZOIL platinum.
I went back to Amsoil. Silky smooth now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Was a funnie Russ.... was a funnie ......instead of my intended "ugh....another oil thread" meme.
I personally wouldn't run brand R in my mower or generator even.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just changed my oil 500 miles ago going from Yamalube to Mobil 1. I didn't notice any change in noise. I have used Mobil 1 in all of my bikes, custom cars with large motors and daily transportation and have gone over 300K in my Rav4 and she has cost me nothing but an alternator and a couple batteries. I'm staying with what has worked. I do use factory filters and change my oil every 3k which is over kill but it is cheap insurance.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,379 Posts
Was a funnie Russ.... was a funnie ......instead of my intended "ugh....another oil thread" meme.
I personally wouldn't run brand R in my mower or generator even.
Oops, my bad :rolleyes:. Based on my experiences with brand R it's good for knocking the dust down on dirt roads, that's about it.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Not going to get sucked in, not going to get sucked in.....🤐🤐🤐

·
Registered
387 Posts
. . . since I was a teenager in the '70s. . . .
You were a teenager in the 1970s!!??😁

Oh wait, so was I. For most of them.🙁

Haynes

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
347 Posts
I use that Castrol Actevo (from Cycle Gear) in all my bikes...never had a problem. As far as the whine.....thats the final drive gears...that's never going away. I love it. With a set of cans the FJR sounds like a land speeder from return of the jedi....I love it personally.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts