FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming life gets back to "normal" in the next little while, I'm looking at a possible ride to visit family & friends in the midwest/southeast and and looking for recommendations on possible routes between northeastern Indiana and the Charlotte, NC area -- i.e., through western/southern Ohio, into WV (or maybe KY?) southwestern VA and eventually to the Charlotte area.

It's a little less than 600 miles by the most direct route (interstate) but I won't do that. I'll spread it over two days to allow for a combo of fun, enjoyable roads and making time when necessary - again, no interstate, but I'm not opposed to the old US highways when necessary, especially if through a scenic area (like US 50 across CO!).

Being from Texas, and with all of my touring being west of here, I've no familiarity with riding in those parts so I'd be very appreciative of suggestions from anyone who lives in or has riding experience in those areas.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is really nothing between Northeast Indiana and Columbus Ohio. But Southeast Ohio it get pretty good. You have the "Triple Nickel" rt555. Anything around Chillicothe, Athens, Marietta Ohio is fine riding... I'll be watching this thread too. I plan on riding south to Florida to visit mom this spring. Spending some time in the Kentucky/Tennessee area.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Storm - yes, I remember well the terrain around the Indiana-Ohio border, even though it's years since I've been there! Miles and miles of straight farm roads and cornfields. So maybe that's where I make time just getting to southern Ohio!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
once you get to Cincinnati you have several good west to east options of getting to se Ohio. ST RT 125 which is a great road once you get east of Georgetown Ohio and runs thru Shawnee State forest where it meets up with 52. ST RT 52 the Ohio River Scenic Byway runs next to the Ohio river along Ohios southern border with a view of Kentuckys northern border across the river. ST RT 50 runs in the southern Ohio countryside and ST RT 32 which is a divided 4 lane thru Ohio country side and a good way to make time but not a whole lot to see.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just looked at that one on the map - looks nice (and easy - sticking to one highway much of the way!)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mr Ferret forgot to mention "The Ribber" in Portsmouth. Probably the best steak in the state and located on route 52. Must stop if you choose that route. Assuming of course that it is open during these crazy times !

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the recommendation, Kiwi. I suspect if things aren't a little more normal by late May I won't be doing this ride... hopefully - for everyone's sake - that will not be an issue!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Mr Ferret forgot to mention "The Ribber" in Portsmouth. Probably the best steak in the state and located on route 52. Must stop if you choose that route. Assuming of course that it is open during these crazy times !
yea I should have mentioned that, along with the Mural Wall in Portsmouth a few blocks from Ribbers, also a must do if in the area

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
btw Ray if yougo to OH-SToc this restaurant and Mural Wall is about 7 miles from the base for the event.

Here's a link to a vid of the Mural Wall. it is quite something

·
Registered
569 Posts
btw Ray if yougo to OH-SToc this restaurant and Mural Wall is about 7 miles from the base for the event.

Here's a link to a vid of the Mural Wall. it is quite something /QUOTE]

Give yourself at least an hour for that mural wall. It is indeed something else. You can call up a descriptive commentary on your phone as you walk the wall.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
I am interested in art..... the art of munching on those ribs..... what wall?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I am interested in art..... the art of munching on those ribs..... what wall?
One word of warning, their ribs are not like normal "ribs" ie not a bunch of curved bones in a row with meat in between them. The ribs at The Scioto Ribber aka "Ribber's" look like giant pork chops.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
I was gonna say!! Trying to deter us with a wall picture.... for shame, Ferret!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Is the OH STOC event listed somewhere on this forum? I haven’t checked in at that forum in years. Better yet once this virus settles down let’s try for an FJR RTE for those ribs. Even a vegetarian like me can’t pass those up.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
OHSTOC is on the ST Owners site... June 11-14 in Shawnee State Park. Hoping to be there, have to see what develops by then.

·
Registered
233 Posts
US-52 is definately good in WV/VA. Not so much in NC.

I would suggest getting on the BRP at Fancy Gap, VA. Just so you can say you have ridden some of it, then get on NC-16 near Obids, NC.

Follow NC-16 all the way to Charlotte. It is 2 lane through rolling foothills and small towns/small city until you get to I-40. Its 4 lane from there into Charlotte, but urban sprawl has taken over the best scenery anyway. Runs you right by Lake Norman.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/36....0x8856b227281a49a7:0xba1cf746ca8a8ca9!1m0!3e0

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks NealC - local insight like this is really helpful. I'd thought about the Blue Ridge, but the pace of it was a deterrent... but as you say, to relax and enjoy the scenery - so that I can at least say I've ridden some of it - may make it worthwhile!

Whether this trip happens in 8-9 weeks as I'd originally hoped, or has to be delayed for a future date, I'm getting good info so thanks to all who have contributed so far

1 - 19 of 19 Posts