FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Scotty,

This looks exactly like what I want for Garmin and radar detector. Wonderful post. However, I'm not getting any traction at the local Yamaha dealer with your part number. Is there something else about this that needs to be known?

Thanks,

/hank watts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Hank, I'm in Australia and was having the same problem, so I e-mailed the main Aussie/Yamaha product support department and got the following reply.

Dear Bernie,

1. GPS mounting kit part No.
5VS-W0779-00-00
THIS PART IS NOT NORMALLY A STOCK LINE AS THE ACTUAL GPS UNIT DOESN'T COME
WITH AUSTRALIAN MAPS ON IT. HOWEVER, WE CAN ORDER IT REQUIRED, ETA ABOUT
3-4 WEEKS PROVIDING YAMAHA EUROPE HAVE ONE IN STOCK AND APPROX RRP
$150.85.Please contact your local Yamaha dealer to order.

2.Resin tank pad part No.
5JW-W0740-00-TP
THIS PART IS ON THE SYSTEM AND CAN BE ORDERED AT A DEALER, NIL STOCK AT
PRESENT. BACKORDERS ETA SAME AS ABOVE. RRP $71.27.

Regards,
Yamaha Motor Australia
Service Department

So I went up to my local dealer this morning with a copy of this reply, and they ordered the items for me.

The Resin tank pad is just a stick on protector for the tank, but it has the FJR logo on it. You can see it on the Yam-Europe web site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bernie,
That appears to be a European Part, not available in the USA. I had the same problem with a tankpad, which for some reason was only available in Europe or Canada. If you're interested in the part I found a dealer in Nova Scotia who will order and send you parts not available here in the states. Go to

http://www.freedomcycle.ca/contact.htm

and send an email to the parts manager Paul Tough telling him what you want and he'll respond with price and shipping.

I did order some parts from him and he's a pleasure to deal with.

Good Luck
NYPete

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
150 bucks sounds a bit much, as the equivalent metalwork for the earlier model FJR costs around £20 in the UK. Are you sure you aren't getting the mount for the GPS (part no 7 in the illustrations) in the price? That's an extra £70 or so over here, but is only useful if you have the correct GPS to fit in it, or are going to have a go at modifying it.

This photo shows what you get for your twenty quid, bolted in place between the handlebars

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
NYpete, It's too late now, I've ordered and paid for the parts, and should get them in about a month.

Marshman, the Europe website is not real clear on what exactly I will be getting, but I think it will be just the metal work. I think it would have been a lot more expensive if it included the clamp.

I already have a stem stand and Touratech mount for my Garmin 276C, but I'm not happy with the stem stand, it keeps shaking loose and the mount sags onto my tank. There is no positive locking mechanism to keep the stem stand firm, it relys on the tightness of the screws, which I have tightened to the point of stripping the threads to no avail.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The metalwork for the 01-05 is 5JW-W0779-00-00, but in the photo I have replaced the socket headed bolts through the handlebars that came with the kit with some button headed stainless steel items that I had kicking around, as I thought they gave a neater finish.

The 5VS number that Scotty and Bernie quote is correct for the 06 equivalent part which is why I was surprised at how much they have charged, but I suppose air freight to Oz adds a fair bit to the cost.

·
Registered
280 Posts
NYPete said:
Bernie,
That appears to be a European Part, not available in the USA. I had the same problem with a tankpad, which for some reason was only available in Europe or Canada. If you're interested in the part I found a dealer in Nova Scotia who will order and send you parts not available here in the states. Go to

http://www.freedomcycle.ca/contact.htm

and send an email to the parts manager Paul Tough telling him what you want and he'll respond with price and shipping.

I did order some parts from him and he's a pleasure to deal with.

Good Luck
NYPete
I just contacted that same person this morning and got this reply...

Paul Tough <[email protected]> to me
More options 7:07 am (0 minutes ago)

[email protected]
I'm sorry to say this is the one accessory I can't seem to get in Canada - Yamaha doesn't seem to be actually carrying the part.

If there are any other accessories you're interested in, don't hesitate to drop me a line; I've shipped a lot of orders to the US with great results.
So, eliminate this as a source for the mount. If anyone out there has a confirmed source for the 06 mount, please advise here in this thread. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Euro source

It's very pleasing to see how the combined forces of this BB can get a lot of relevant facts organized in a hurry.

Seems to me we need a European Yamaha dealer who's willing to ship to the US (or wherever else). I'll go web searching, but does anyone have a recommendation?

/hank

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Have any of you US guys tried contacting the main US-Yamaha website product support department and demanding some service. Worked for me here in AUS.

It amazes me how different divisions of the same company can't seem to get their act together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, just sent to the UK email address the following. Will post any reply that comes this way

Hi.

A number of us are looking for an accessory mount for the '06 FJR, 5VS-W0779-00-00, which does not appear to be available except in Europe/UK. Is it possible you can get this part and would be willing to ship to US, Canada, Australia, other places?

Thanks,

/hank watts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Have any of you tried dropping Bike Johnny an email? You never know, Joos might be persuaded to fill this niche in the market if there was enough demand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sources

OK. Tried fjclub.co.uk, no response. Tried Bikejohnny, no response.

However, I did get a response from Mark Treadwell of Alf England Motorcycles. He can help.

You need to call him at (+44) 2476 312184 ext 2. It's the only way. He'll take a credit card over the phone and ship anywhere. For us US folk (and possibly for everyone), the prices are

Mount £40 (~$75 at current exchange rates)
Std air shispping £11 (~$20)
or Tracked and signed-for air shipping £16 (~$30)

Total delievery time from placing order is roughly 8 days.

Mark is the only one in sales dealing with international orders. He's there
Monday through Thursday from 9.00am to 5.30pm.

/hank

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Re: Would these fit mine?

screwsrus said:
Hi all, in a rush so excuse spelling etc,etc wouls these parts fit a 04/05 bike? as they look just the job for mounting my 2610.

cheers djack.
There are two different types, both more or less the same. The one in the photos I posted fit bikes from 01 to 05, the ones mentioned in henrywatts posts fit the 06.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you use this for the Garmin, which is what I did, two suggestions: First, the center plate that is actually the mount has two pairs of holes in the sides, one pair centered, one slightly offset. This allows you to mount the plate neutrally, or closer or farther away from the fuel tank. For Garmin mounting, put the plate as close to the fuel tank as possible.

Second, there is a cheap ($10) and wonderfully effective mount for the Garmin from Ram-Mount. Go here, being sure to paste the entire URL together.

http://65.102.174.116/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-HOL-GA9U&searchTerm=2710&item=1

/hank

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.