FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my '03 FJR yesterday. Much warmer on the way home than my XJR on the way there!

I ordered and the dealer fitted a givi rack, plate and V46 topbox. Very good value compared to the Yamaha bits I must say but it looks like an afterthought in my opnion. The plate on the rack is huge without the box and I am thinking perhaps I should have had Yamaha stuff.

Has anyone got a picture of the original rack with topcase attachment kit in place please? (without the box on)

Would appreciate any views on what looks best.

Cheers

·
Registered
721 Posts
The OE rack isn't much better looking and the box looks huge but is only 35L so small inside and won't hold more than one helmet. You also need to drill two holes in the rear bodywork to fit it which means if you ever decide to remove it you need to find a way to plug the holes. You made the right choice in my opinion and I'm in the process of swapping from OE to Givi myself.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Why not try Shad?

- The plate / fixation on the rack is much more discrete than Givi's;
- You don't have to drill nothing;
- It's less expensive (here in Europe) and also has a full range of accessories: backrest, light, etc;
- If your bike is blue, you don't even have to paint it ;-)

There is a 42 and 48 litre model. I have one and like it!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ian - OK that sorts that then!

Miguel - didn't think of Shad. As I understand it their plate fits directly onto the OE rack? Wonder why Givi don't do the same - maybe a strength issue?

·
Registered
144 Posts
CarMan said:
Miguel - didn't think of Shad. As I understand it their plate fits directly onto the OE rack? Wonder why Givi don't do the same - maybe a strength issue?
Yes it fits onto the OE rack. I made maybe more than 6000 km full loaded and no strenght issues so far.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rabbit

Thanks for the welcome and the pics - all your efforts much appreciated but now I am confused!

Your pics appear to show a Givi plate fixed to the OE rack. If you can do that why did I have fitted a givi rack??? :roll:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone ever tried the complete set of Givi bags......Their website mentions a rack to hold side as well as trunk bags...much bigger and easier to use......

Whip

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ok CarMan, here's the story.

Those pics are what I collected for my info in the early days of FJROwners and what people had done and how. In those days the Givi replacement rack SR346 was not available.

After that, the rack was produced by Givi and most owners went down that route, prefering to have a sturdier option.

You see, most people were worried that the OEM rack would not stand up to continued useage with a (heavy?) Givi box + load year on year. In fact though, I don't think one owner ever reported the OEM rack cracking under the strain. So, if I am remembering this correctly, their worries were unfounded. Despite this, I think that the Givi rack is in fact the sturdier option, the OEM rack being plastic.

Be that as it may, I fitted the Givi rack and V46 box around 18 months ago - each to their own.

This is what Warchild did with his Givi rack:

http://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=38

As previously mentioned, fitting the Yam top box has to be, more or less, a permanent fitting, because of the bloody big holes that you have to drill in your tail piece. (Could have been designed better methinks)

Whereas the Givi rack and box can be swopped to your next new FJR, because once you've had an FJR, most people want another.......(yeah, I know colour code may be different, but you know what I mean).

All clear now?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very clear - many thanks. Actually the Givi silver to my mind looks nearly like an extension of the bike frame (same colour 'ish) so I guess I'll live with it for a while and see how it feels.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've mounted the rack for the top box on both my FJR's and am very happy with how they look and function. I don't understand why you would take the rack off after installing it, but if you did ....two small darts would fill the holes. I use the top box on both bikes when needed. Watching the snow blowing by the window right now and it is killing me :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Carman, we have 1 of each. I got so fed up of waiting for OE on backorder that I went with the Givi.

Of course then we decided to upgrade to 2005 model bikes which were different colours, but our friendly local paintshop sprayed them up for us for around £100.

I think the Givi is tons better and lots cheaper, so pleased that I didn't bother to wait.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can anybody tell me do either the Givi or OE case have much of a negative effect on the bikes handling (especially with side cases)?

I read in the brochure for the FJR that Yamaha advise against using topcase and side cases - what are the views out there?

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here is mine and a friends, in fact Hogan2085 off this site has the same, they are from the Yamaha catalogue, colour matched less that £90.00 plus the fitting plate. Whole thing very neat on or off the bike.

As for handling, solo at 'speed' there is a slight buffetting but depends on the conditions. Coming back from Assen 2 up loaded 140mph no problem, my 19yr old passenger made me do it!!!

Teejay

·
Registered
163 Posts
No motorway in Holland or was it France--- certainly not here, had to try it out earlier in the year on the way back from Normandy, they are quick aren't they!!

Teejay

1 - 20 of 34 Posts