FJR Owners Forum banner

Odd Air filter

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  passx 
#1 ·
I am recovering from a double hernia operation and am doing maintenance on my 2014 FJR. 21,000 mi. Thanks to T.W O. for his vids. I replaced the battery yesterday and today was the air filter. The air filter was amazingly clean after 21,000 except for for obvious seeds deposited by a rodent somewhere in time. No excrement. My bike was one of a lot of left over FJRs purchased by a Yamaha dealer in Oregon and blown out the door for $13,800. In or out of crate. Your choice. My garage where I keep my bikes is lined with mouse traps as I dont like them in the wiring or air cleaners of my cars and bikes. I have never in 55 years seen this in any of my bikes. It is possible of course since this bike is used for touring/camping that I picked up the seeds in some place like Utah, for instance....Just curious if anyone else has found this in their FJR air cleaner without any nesting material or excrement????

See less See more
#2 ·
Could be a pack rat. I found the airbox in one of my wifes SUV's filled with birdseed one time - it didn't try to make any sort of nest just filled the airbox with the bag of birdseed that was in the garage. Another time I found that all the Dcon I put out was in the shop vac hose. Clearly he wasn't eating it, just moving it and storing it.

Reactions: philharmonic
#3 ·
probably mice....... however, if the air filter still looks in good shape, don't toss it.... blow it out with compressed air and flip it end for end... the interior end tends to be dirtiest....

#4 ·
Find this all the time in little cubbyholes throughout the remote, rural shop I have. Normal. They're just storing away extras for the tough times. And you may want to rethink your rodent trapping strategy, it obviously needs a little improvement! Best idea I've found- the water bucket thing- works like a charm!

#6 ·
Normal thing. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water or antifreeze a few inches from the top and float birdseed on it. Give the little bastards a ramp that leads up to the edge.

Or you can do the spinning can thing
Bucket Mouse Traps | Five Gallon Ideas

#7 ·
Yep Chris, my 14 felt a little sluggish when I bought it new and going over it for maintenance I found the same thing, and a couple of times since, they really like the fjr airbox ! And the airbox on my 81 cbx, I have found that the critters don’t seem to like the K+N filters probably for the smell, but I need to check it as it’s been sitting for a year and a half now.

Things that help seem to be the aforementioned K+N filter, along with dryer sheet strips here and there plus I bought some rodent repellent spray from Amazon that I spray the air cleaner lid inside and out. I check all my vehicles periodically because rodents seem to like airbox’s in general, but it’s interesting that I haven’t had one in my 76 gl1000 for probably 35-40 years, since adding a k+N.

Living in the country seems to make this more of a problem, they’re all over. As Ray said if it’s not chewed on just blow the air filter out vacuum as needed
and put it back in.

#10 ·
I got this stuff from Amazon and sprayed under cabinets in kitchen. No sign of mice since then. Was recommended on AdvRiders forum.
Grandpa Gus's Double-Potent Rodent Repellent Spray, Peppermint & Cinnamon Oil,

You definitely did not pick up those seeds riding through the countryside.

#14 ·
If you don't have little children or pets, these green pellets work great. No more rats, mice, squirrels, stray cats, skunks, raccoons, or stray dogs. {though once in a while I notice a green ting in my food and an odd taste, and wonder?? Nah she wouldn't do that...... would she?}

Reactions: passx and ReRose
#15 ·
Phil I use those for moles and mice, they do work well, just have to be concerned about pets. I currently am doing the “bucket” thing that uses the collapsing platform that drops the mouse into the bucket. Not really all that impressed to this point, we’ll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.