FJR Owners Forum banner

Nova Scotia anyone?

12K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  Rooster25 
The CAT is the big ferry from Portland, ME to Yarmouth... used to run from Bar Harbor too..... if you ride from Portland to NS, it will take you two days. The CAT makes that a few hours.

Cabot Trail I've done a few times, and it's a must do. Best done both ways IMHO. Perhaps stay at a motel in Whycocomagh or Baddeck, ride the trail counterclockwise to Cheticamp, turn around and ride back. Optional, Meat Cove, but it's a gravel road you won't be going fast on, do it to say you've been there. Another ride, is take a loop from Whycocomagh up 19 to Margaree, back down towards Port Hood and down the coast to Port Hastings. Another loop is to Baddeck, Sydney and back along the north shore of Bras D'Or Lake (south shore likely OK too).

Must do for me from Yarmouth is Hwy 3 along the coast (sometimes 103) to Lunenburg, 329 (Lighthouse Trail) loop around to Peggy's Cove and into Halifax. It's a day ride.

Note Hwy 7 along the coast from Halifax to Cabot Trail isn't the smoothest road, take it if you have time.

How much time ya got? You should do PEI and that north coast of NS as well. Go over on the ferry from Pictou (free one way), and come back on the Confederation Bridge (you only pay to get OFF the island)..... you can do a ride of the island in a day if you don't go to the north extreme.

Another option, when I go, (note I'll take up to 2 weeks doing it), I start out in Niagara Falls, make my way across NY, via Adirondack Park/Lake George cross at Chimney Point or Ticonderosa, ride some nice VT, NH, ME roads to Calais, ME, into NB. Options go to the Reversing Falls in St. John, Fundy Park/Alma, NB for sticky buns at the bakery, on to Hopewell Rocks, make my way to PEI or take the coastal road and Sunrise Trail (Hwy 6) to come out at New Glasgow.. scenic road Hwy 4 paralelling 104 if you want to stay off slab while making your way to Port Hastings. Then do your thing in Nova Scotia, end up in Yarmouth for the CAT back to BAH HABAH for a good day loop there. On the way back, I might ride up into awesome Adirondacks, Lake Placid, etc. make my way to Ogdensburg to cross back....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.