FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been touring in the US southwest with the wife in the cage, and yet find connections to our brothers and sisters touring on bikes. In Flagstaff, Arizona, I talked with a guy staying at our hotel which was riding with his pals from the Nothwest Territories, up Canada way. When they left "the lake," in was 10d. Maybe he meant celsious. They had been through Flathead Lake in Montana, the Dakotas and now to Grand Canyon then over to the coast for their return north.

We are now here in Sante Fe, New Mexico and I wonder why all these guys ride without helmets? I know the "Easy Rider," syndrom is still in effect, but the wind the sun. The elements are intense! Windburn, sunburn is in evidence.

Regards,
BAGSTR

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Kingdom for a Motorcycle!

Continuing our tour through New Mexico, USA, my wife and I (without my FJR) travel west from Taos, across the Rio Grand river and up into the Carson National Forest. This is Hwy 64 near the 84 junction. Man, what a road, and me without the BAGSTR! Three thousand ft. elevation gain and desent through Aspen, Pine and Fir forests. The road is smooth, twisting 45-65 MPH. Cobalt blue sky with hard edged puffy white clouds. Simply marvelous! This place is a long way from most places, but if you are in the southern Rockies, worth the trip. Many National Forest camping areas in the Aspen forests. Few to zero hotels or restaurants. I'll post one photo in my Gallery.

In addition, the Northern New Mexico food is a treat. Many of the sauces are derived from the Rio Grand grown red and green chili peppers...spicy to hot. This is not traditional Mexican food, but derived form the mixture of Spanish and Pueblo cultures of the Rio Grande Valley.

Tonight we stay near the Animas River north of Durango, tomorrow off to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Later, BAGSTR

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
You still haven't told us why you didn't bring the bagstr along...

:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Notes from the road..

Liquid,

It's a relationship thing. I have a relationship with the dear wife that has lasted thirty years. My relationship with the BAGSTR comes in second.
Believe it or not, we have a great time exploring the culture of the great American West without the bike.

But, a trip with the guys throught this area would be top rate.

On the road,
BAGSTR

·
Registered
192 Posts
on the road

I'm guessing the Bagstr is a motorcycle and it's a little scary if you're naming your bike :eek:

·
Registered
192 Posts
on the road

Hey,

that's a good subject for another thread.

Name your motorcycle :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pet Names

number2,

You mean you don't have a "secret" pet name for your bike? I don't have a dog, dogs being too much maintenance. But, a mototcycle, now there is a real buddy.

BAGSTR

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Re: Notes from the road..

BAGSTR said:
I have a relationship with the dear wife that has lasted thirty years. My relationship with the BAGSTR comes in second.
Good man - and congratulations!

I'm lucky that my primary relationship would insist on bringing the secondary relationship, if we got a couple of days off and found a good babysitter. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to a few pictures. :wink:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Pet Names

BAGSTR said:
number2,

I don't have a dog, dogs being too much maintenance. But, a mototcycle, now there is a real buddy.

BAGSTR
I felt the same way about kids. Wound up with two of them anyway.

Now I have a dog (one of many over the years), who is one of the family. My motorcycle, and other toy's, don't come close.

Sounds like your having a great trip. My wife and I would love to tour that area someday.

·
Registered
192 Posts
notes from the road

Nope, no names for my bike even though I really enjoy riding it. It's just a thing and it could be replaced, although it would be difficult to find a replacement I would enjoy as much.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Herd of Hogs Block Highway...

Travelling Thursday on Hwy 98 in Northern Arizona, between Kaibito and Page, our rapid pace was blocked by a "herd of Hogs." And I mean blocked! Twelve Hardley Ablesons followed by the tour operator's chase truck, riding ten miles under the limit. This is a part of the state where traffic flows 10-15 mph above the posted. The last six bikes were packed up agaist the chase vehicle with no gaps to allow passing. Ten or more travelers and commercial vehicles were trapped for twenty miles until we hit Page. If you go on tour when you don't know how to ride, take your mother with you to remind you of road manners. We were soo pissed, we had to drive over to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and check out the view.

The scene over at the Grand Canyon Lodge was pretty funny. The boys and girls on their tassle adorned rides paraded in to the parking area as grand as royalty carried in on their gold plated throne. All the shinny parts did impress the assembled hikers. The uniforms and T-Shirts set new levels for style. Most impressive was the sound of straight pipes attached the the tractor motors. Clackety clack..blatt, clackety, etc. If not for the lone ST and Suzuki V-Strom, my faith in the motorcycle family would have been completely deflated.

Now home safe in San Diego,
BAGSTR

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Re: Herd of Hogs Block Highway...

BAGSTR said:
If you go on tour when you don't know how to ride, take your mother with you to remind you of road manners.
Hate that! Really must've been wishing for the bike at that moment, so you could pick through them.

I did that one time, and got one finger salutes from all involved, but I'll bet the poor cagers behind them were wishing they could get the same salute.

Do these bozos really get enough satisfaction from being 'in front' to outweigh the sense that people are sitting there 'waiting on them,' 'breathing down their ride-free-or-die necks?' Why not be pirate-attired heros and let all the faster-moving Winnebagos go past?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Re: Herd of Hogs Block Highway...

Liquidsilver said:
Why not be pirate-attired heros and let all the faster-moving Winnebagos go past?
Liquid you're even crueller than that barbarian buddy of yours, 20valves. He's been sullying Effie's good name again with cruel remarks about her "big boned-ness" and now here you are pickin on a motorcycle, engine design and "Easy Rider Delusion" thats got more years on it than a jurassic fossil........R1 owners...not respect !

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I actually wasn't dissing the bikes (this time). Those bikes are capable of riding faster than most Winnebagos... I'm just dissing those specific riders that choose to ride slowly (which is fine) but refuse to acknowledge the population behind them.

If you want to ride below the speed limit, why not let people around? They'll hate you much less! You might even get a happy wave.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wish I had the Bike!

Liquid,

You bet. The wife had to restrain me with the Toyota. Blowing through the "trash" would have been sweet. A nice wave to the boys and girls on their dream ride with a Hardley.

Actually, travelling the West, most of the roads were straight and I enjoyed the protection of the cage. Every now and then the twisties would appear and the urge to rock would bubble up. The trip really made me appreciate the terrain around the San Diego Homesite. We do have the full complement of up down, left right. Trouble is, since my return from the road trip, events have been too busy to cut lose. Watch out tires when I finally get a day off.

In San Diego,
BAGSTR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.