FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But a winter days ride through the backcountry does quite well. Saturday after family fun, frolic and projects allowed for two or three hours of solitary roaming toward the backcountry. Several loops present themselves starting fifteen minutes from the drive. Having a decent amount of time, the BAGSTR and I chose a loop south of Ramona, turning up through coastal chapparel on two lane sparsely populated rural scenes. The sky being sharp blue and the lanes quite dry, the pendulum rythm was easily found. Starting at 1PM, the winter sunlight shown at a relatively low angle, which I find reveals somewhat of a more romantic impression.

Farther up in the treeline, the horse corrals are more in evidence. Seemingly in anticipation of the comming cold night, the horses lined up with their backs turned to the sun, soaking up the sun. Viewing the horses is what had me thinking that touring along on a motorbike is in many ways similar to a horseback ride. Pleasant contemplation of the view, staying in touch with your mount etc. Only, with the bike you cover many more miles and experience many more views. Something like a horseback ride on steroids. An added advantage to the cycle ride is that you can put the bike away hot and rub it down later.

Lucky for us the traffic was light as we intercepted Cuyamaca State Park. The public must have been home watching football. Anyway, good for us. None too many passes required which kept me in a calm mood all the way back to the freeway. Over the road big rigs and zooming travellers broke the spell. But, the few moments pulled off with the motor quiet reverberate in the mind. Absolute peace, looking down five thousand feet to the desert floor. And only an hour from home.

In San Diego,
BAGSTR

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Nice.

It's 16F here, with snow flurries. Count your Southern California weather blessings, eh?

Horsing around is nice, but not up to riding a well-tempered motorcycle, IMHO. ;)

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
3 out of the top 5 of the last iron butt were FJR's so jump on & ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BAGSTR, poetically written. Made me feel like I was reading "Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart. If you haven't enjoyed any of his books about his motorcycle travels, I highly recommend them. Thanks for the trip through SoCal.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Northsquad, you just brought an 8 year old thread back to life! That should earn you some kind of reward! :crylarf:

I wonder if BAGSTR still visits this site?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.