FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very cool!
Thanks
found a great picture of FJR racing at night with the northern light skies...don't know the author (for credits) and don't know if it's just a photoshop or real...it just looks cool :smile2:

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
527 Posts
Wow, even if PS, that is a stunning image!!

Well done, to whomever!

And downloaded! I just found a new profile image! LOL

Reactions: Damir

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Thanks for sharing this! I've lived in MinneSNOWta for 13 years and have NEVER seen the "Aurora Borealis", but now I don't have to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
See them from time to time but have never got a picture of the FJR with them

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Thanks for sharing this! I've lived in MinneSNOWta for 13 years and have NEVER seen the "Aurora Borealis", but now I don't have to.
natsmada4fjr,

The aurora happens due to sunspots, and solar flares. Sunspots run on an 11 year cycle; the last peak was around 2016. I'd expect things to pick up again during 2023/2027. Solar flares can happen at almost any time though, and the aurora will happen a few hours or days later. The astronomers can give a little warning before a solar flare hits Earth, but not a lot. You can probably find web sites to monitor our Sun's activity, day-to-day. Nights with no Moon or a thin crescent Moon will give the best show, when the show starts.

I always laugh when I hear people deny climate change. The Earth is not orbiting a stable star, folks. :shock:

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
At my latitude, very lucky if you'd ever see them. When I travelled north of Lake Superior years ago they were quite vivid. The further you are north the better.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
We lived in Fairbanks, Alaska for several years; seeing the aurora was common in the winter months. The most intense ones have reds and yellows in them. I worked at the university that housed the Geophysical Institute which is a research center for the aurora. They operate a rocket range and launch sensors into the aurora to study them. I seem to remember predictions of the aurora diminishing in both intensity and regularity and that they may cease to be visible in the next few decades.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
red's comment above triggered my curiosity to find out how this light spectacle is created (who knew, check, learned something new and amazing today):

and in 4K, wow just wow at timestamp 2.23 and 2:46 truly spectacular

·
Registered
372 Posts
found a great picture of FJR racing at night with the northern light skies...don't know the author (for credits) and don't know if it's just a photoshop or real...it just looks cool :smile2:
Nice, and now I have a new background for my laptop :grin2:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
red's comment above triggered my curiosity to find out how this light spectacle is created (who knew, check, learned something new and amazing today):
Damir,

Now you can please go back and kick your "teachers" in the shin for me, just once, very hard. :wink:
None of this stuff is breaking news. Yeah, there is still more science to learn, but we know the basics there.

We still do continue the research, because when the Sun sneezes, the Earth can catch a cold.
Solar flares can wipe out our satellite signals, and some satellites we just shut down briefly,
to prevent electrical damage from an approaching strong solar flare, until it passes by.

In the video "How the Northern Lights are Created," I would question the spoken timeline
for a solar flare (or solar storm) to reach each of the inner planets.
"Why" is a whole 'nother story, but it's all fun stuff to learn.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damir,

Now you can please go back and kick your "teachers" in the shin for me, just once, very hard. :wink:
None of this stuff is breaking news. Yeah, there is still more science to learn, but we know the basics there.

We still do continue the research, because when the Sun sneezes, the Earth can catch a cold.
Solar flares can wipe out our satellite signals, and some satellites we just shut down briefly,
to prevent electrical damage from an approaching strong solar flare, until it passes by.

In the video "How the Northern Lights are Created," I would question the spoken timeline
for a solar flare (or solar storm) to reach each of the inner planets.
"Why" is a whole 'nother story, but it's all fun stuff to learn.
yes old news, but new to me since astronomy was a bit too abstract to me, therefore I never explored that science. Recently watched the movie Interstellar and was trying to wrap my head around "leaving one dimension and entering another" and "when the time stands still and you don't age"...hmmm, a bit too complicated :smile2:
It's just interesting how even minor solar eruptions soooo far away from Earth can influence our planet so much....let's just hope there won't be any "major and catastrophic" solar events in our future :wink2:
p.s. I am guessing you are also skeptical about movies that are based on true story like Star Wars? :grin2: :wink2:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
It's just interesting how even minor solar eruptions soooo far away from Earth can influence our planet so much....let's just hope there won't be any "major and catastrophic" solar events in our future :wink2:
p.s. I am guessing you are also skeptical about movies that are based on true story like Star Wars? :grin2: :wink2:
Damir,

Please fasten your seat belt . . . :lol:
Since I mentioned the distances from the Sun to the planets, there is a relationship there. Each planet in our Solar System is about twice (with a fudge factor) as far from the Sun as the last planet going inward. Venus is about twice as far from the Sun as Mercury, et c. That goes for each planet, until you get to Mars. Twice as far from the Sun as Mars orbits, there "should" be another planet there, and twice as far as that orbital distance, then you get to Jupiter. The planet between Mars and Jupiter just is not there. Instead, we have the Asteroid Belt, which is a collection of rocks in that orbit, maybe enough rock material to assemble a planet. If something happened there (like what the Death Star did to Alderaan) in ancient times, the Asteroid Belt would be the result. So when Solo arrived at the orbit of Alderaan, he found that there was nothing left but an asteroid field. Of course, nobody can say if that really happened here or not. It's an old speculation that popped up once we realized the distances between the Sun and the planets have a relationship. There is a planet "missing" from the progression, but we have the Asteroid Belt in that orbit instead. That old idea came long before the Star Wars movie.

The meteorites that fall to Earth are sometimes stony, and sometimes metallic. Earth's crust is stony, and the core is metallic. If an Earth-like planet was actually destroyed in some way, you would have some stony asteroids, and some metallic asteroids. It's all speculation, but until we start mining in the Asteroid Belt, nobody has a real answer. As far as the possibility of such ancient weapons, we have found that the atmosphere of Mars has radioactive elements that we can not explain by any natural causes, but only as the result of nuclear bombs.
Strange stuff . . . :cool:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damir,

Please fasten your seat belt . . . :lol:
Since I mentioned the distances from the Sun to the planets, there is a relationship there. Each planet in our Solar System is about twice (with a fudge factor) as far from the Sun as the last planet going inward. Venus is about twice as far from the Sun as Mercury, et c. That goes for each planet, until you get to Mars. Twice as far from the Sun as Mars orbits, there "should" be another planet there, and twice as far as that orbital distance, then you get to Jupiter. The planet between Mars and Jupiter just is not there. Instead, we have the Asteroid Belt, which is a collection of rocks in that orbit, maybe enough rock material to assemble a planet. If something happened there (like what the Death Star did to Alderaan) in ancient times, the Asteroid Belt would be the result. So when Solo arrived at the orbit of Alderaan, he found that there was nothing left but an asteroid field. Of course, nobody can say if that really happened here or not. It's an old speculation that popped up once we realized the distances between the Sun and the planets have a relationship. There is a planet "missing" from the progression, but we have the Asteroid Belt in that orbit instead. That old idea came long before the Star Wars movie.

The meteorites that fall to Earth are sometimes stony, and sometimes metallic. Earth's crust is stony, and the core is metallic. If an Earth-like planet was actually destroyed in some way, you would have some stony asteroids, and some metallic asteroids. It's all speculation, but until we start mining in the Asteroid Belt, nobody has a real answer. As far as the possibility of such ancient weapons, we have found that the atmosphere of Mars has radioactive elements that we can not explain by any natural causes, but only as the result of nuclear bombs.
Strange stuff . . . :cool:
Red, I suggest we (or you) start a new thread (i.e. Astronomy simplified) in General chat, it's a very interesting topic and I think it deserves it's own place for discussion. Otherwise it will get buried (here) and hard to find on this forum.
I like to learn about anything that surrounds us, astronomy was never something I understood much, especially the "black holes, time warps, new dimensions in time and space, is space flat or curved, dark matter, dark energy, how we measure a galaxy's distances, etc"
It seems you have enough passion on this topic to educate some of us willing to listen and ask questions.

found a lesson #1 from a PBS learning channel;

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
It doesn't matter where you put it Damir, the force is strong and will allow us to find it anywhere. Love the thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts