FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I'm asking the impossible question in a somewhat biased environment. I can deal.

Happily moving from a Road King back into the world of Sport (used to run TZs back in the 70s and miss the fun). Need long distance tour ability & comfort. I really dislike the forward lean these days. Rode the ST and it felt great. Peg to seat to bars were fine, and could be better with helibars. Still good. I think I'd enjoy the power and handling of the FJR more.

Question 1: How does the fit compare between the ST and new FJR?

Next bit is tough ... my wife is a bit tallish 5'9 32" inseam and simply cannot tolerate the slightest forward lean or high pegs. Her best fit yet has been on a Gold Wing (natch), but I just can't see myself on a Wing while commuting or solo touring. We can always rent a wing for those mondo semi annual mega tours, if necessary. But is it? The ST fit her reasonably well ... needs back support either via top case or backrest ... easily solved. The pillion seat on the FJR appears to be canted slightly back, perhaps even dished a bit, and given proper back support might be the better two-up bike.

Question 2: How is the pillion comfort for the taller passenger? Are there decent back support mods for the 06 yet? Do you think we can set it up for a solid half day of comfortable riding? She has to stop every 90 minutes anyway :oops:

I know I know ... all pretty subjective stuff. I know I'll need a taller screen. Any info this group can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers! :ale:[/b]

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think I might be able to offer some thoughts compared to the ST1300.
For the past two years I have doing motomarshall for our regional and national cycling races. Part of the events include a long road race and other part a Criterion, a fast inner city loop. I have about three marshalls that trade on and off. One of the marshalls owns an ST1300 and loves it. He had a pilot on his bike while he rode pillion and took numbers and notes. He then rode on the back of my FJR. After multiple rides on both bikes and at the end of the two day's events, we were standing around talking about the weekend, and his comments were that the FJR was far more comfortable than the ST1300, both for the long ride and the fast four corner loop.
My bike is an '04, always ride with suspension on 'hard'. No serious clearance issues though I did touch the feelers a few times cornering. I have just purchased a Wilber's Custom rear shock and fork springs which I hope to install before this May's series.
There are a number of sources of aftermarket rear peg extensions for those who need more leg extension.
There are a few others on this board who could offer more on long distance touring with their spouse, hopefully they will pipe in here soon for you.
Cheers, and welcome to the board.
John

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rabbit, I searched before posting. Everything I had read was fiarly generic and pre-06. I was really more interested in how the 06 fit since I knew they made some ergo changes. Still, I get th impression that even the 05 and older are still pretty comfy.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Jimbemotumbo said:
I know, I'm asking the impossible question in a somewhat biased environment. I can deal.
Question 2: How is the pillion comfort for the taller passenger? Are there decent back support mods for the 06 yet? Do you think we can set it up for a solid half day of comfortable riding? She has to stop every 90 minutes anyway :oops:
[/b]
Looking at your profile pic, your pillion will fit just fine on any FJR withing 200 miles of where you are. Make an open offer for guys to take her for a ride, and you'll get many happy responders. :crylarf: :crylarf:

BTW, are you sure she is 5'9" She doesn't look that tall to me, although I think she could be quite a handful :shock:

·
Registered
372 Posts
"BTW, are you sure she is 5'9" She doesn't look that tall to me, although I think she could be quite a handful :shock:"
:crylarf: :crylarf: :crylarf: :ale: Now that was a mouthful!!
You crack me up David.

·
Registered
23 Posts
LOL @ Valves

My 05 with the Yamaha Top case with backrest. It does slightly lean foward, But if you arent going to install the touring bag, you shouldnt have any complaints about foward lean for the passenger. Me being 6'2" I have to rest about every 90 minutes to so dont be to hard on her :ale:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Moneys on the table

I got my name on the last one not spoken for. Should be here this week. The local shop let me and the lovely swing a leg over one they just pulled out for a customer. Seat was very comfy. No forward lean for her at all. She said the seat was quite nice and definitely better than most (except the wing).
I found the bars were nearly perfect, just as they are. Aside from a backrest and possibly a slight repositioning of the pass pegs, I think we have a winner!

I guess I don't need to take the dealer up on their money back guarantee!

Thanks for the help gang. AND - Stay away from my wife!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone considering ST or FJR has got two really good choices.

But after some miles on the new BMW K1200GT I would say that anyone who likes either of the two owes himself a test ride on the new GT also before making the decision.

I was much less enthusiastic about the R1200RT, which I tried last autumn.

My local Yam dealer still cannot offer a demo 2006 FJR for test ride, and now that the weather is improving the pressures to get a bike are increasing. Soon they don't need to bother any more...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I rode the RT1200 and the KGT, along with the KLT, Wing, and ST. Considering all options. BMW position just doesn;t work for me. The GT was the worst ride I've had. KLT not much better. The RT fit great but what's with that motor??? Hated the sound and feel of it. Now an RT with a K motor - that might be nice. ST was perfect right away and I did not find heat an issue, nor was it the handling beast I expected. Quite nice.

I've ridden an 04 FJR. It was okay. Loved the motor tho, so the 06 really did it for me. Slightly less foot room than on the ST, but a fair trade for the handling and brakes. Yamma Mamma really refined this baby.

All in all, you are spot on. Either the ST or FJR are a brilliant choice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.