Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the quasi-local Yamaha dealers several counties south of me is hosting demo rides today/trmw. I pre-registered online, even telling them what bike I wanted to ride, a Tracer 900 GT. The demos were supposed to start at 10a; I got there at 930a, figuring it would give me extra time to fill out whatever other paperwork they wanted.

I waited in line a few minutes and overheard the Yamaha rep tell the guy (2 positions in front of me) that their lone Tracer wasn't going to be available until at least 1130, as 2 others were already registered. I'm thinking to myself he must mean me as one of those riders since I pre-registered. Uh, nope- that wasn't it.

They only brought one Tracer- what?!?!?!?- and I was perhaps looking at a ride post-1130-1200. What was I supposed to do until then? Stare at the ceiling? The shop is in a rough part of town, ain't no walking around the area and they had no coffee/food set up so I'd be looking at staring at my shoes for 2+ hrs. I was annoyed, to say the least, especially since I drove 1.25 hrs to get there.

The only good thing to come out of it was I got to meet a fellow site member, Donk, who was standing right behind me. Donk actually recognized me first as we chatted and he heard where I was from. It was nice to meet w/him & chat about life & bikes. Nice to meet ya, Donk.

Anyway, Yamaha scored no points w/me today and, after discussing the situation w/Donk, he likely convinced me that I won't be going the Tracer 900 GT route. Thanks Yamaha. You might've sunk your own dang boat.
Lee

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
I've found demo days get filled real quick. Last one I went to, I had signed up in advance for the Tracer and checked in upon arrival.... found out morning session Tracer was gone and had to wait.... quickly asked what else ya got open and went for rides on them until my turn came a coupla appointments later.
You're really wanting to wait for the Tracer 9 aren't ya, lol.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
he likely convinced me that I won't be going the Tracer 900 GT route.
Lee
...they say; "everything happens for a reason" it just wasn't meant to be :wink2:

I am guessing you'll be looking at Multistradas or KTM's next :smile2:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well that sucks; always good to meet another forum member, but that's not good on Yamaha. Bast*rds!!!

Reactions: 2GENAE

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that sucks; always good to meet another forum member, but that's not good on Yamaha. Bast*rds!!!
Donk advised the ride was a disaster as 4 bikes collided & went down in the parking lot! Glad I wasn't there for that.
Lee

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Shame it turned out so bad for you

When a demo day comes up at our local dealer, my son, my son's father in law and I always plan on making a whole day of it. We stick around and ride everything we can lol

Reactions: passx

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
spectreman, one of the bikes I test rode was the XSR900... naked like the Kawi 900 and I thought it was a lotta fun. It moves! Scooted better than the Tracer GT I rode later.
See this link to see the Kenny Roberts version (I think 2016).
https://www.webbikeworld.com/yamaha-xsr900-review/

BTW, note added... the local dealer guy led the test ride... first round on an R1, but didn't matter.. 20km route with stretches we got up to 160kph, yes 100 mph. Never been on test rides like that ever!

Reactions: passx and JJDBA

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Really? I dont think our ride leaders went over 45 mph, on about a 9 mile loop. Each ride was about 15 mins.

Imo the XSR was the best iteration of that 900 triple.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
31 Posts
"Non-demo" ride today

No, not a Duc or KTM guy. This one, however, is seriously on my radar.

There has not been a bad review on this bike. Love it myself as I had a ZRX and love the original Z1. Above the rest by a mile in the retro class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
BTW, note added... the local dealer guy led the test ride... first round on an R1, but didn't matter.. 20km route with stretches we got up to 160kph, yes 100 mph. Never been on test rides like that ever!
Wild guess? (because I may have been on the 2nd R1 with a tank mounted gopro).
Was this at powersport / yamaha junction, guelph?
(best demo rides ever!!!)

·
Registered
583 Posts
...they say; "everything happens for a reason" it just wasn't meant to be :wink2:eek:

I am guessing you'll be looking at Multistradas or KTM's next :smile2:
Don't be blaming that on me! :smile2:

So being that I wasn't informed of the location of the donut shop I stopped at Ducati to ride the new V4 Multistrada. Initial impression was about the same as running into the s hot girl from high school who was drop dead gorgeous and is now as big as a house and has a bad disposition. Not only is the bike generic looking it's ugly. It got heavy, the seat is higher and wider making the bike feel awkward and the bars are so wide they could be beach bars off a Harley. Everything that was Multistrada is gone. I didn't even bother to ride it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Spectreman I wonder if McCruise out of AUS make a cruise control for the Kawi? That would be a plus for you.

As much as I like KTM I wouldn’t spend the money their asking for the new 890 Adventure. It’s nuts!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
It’s funny how different the 900 triple versions are. I love the MSR, FJ09 and pretty much anything in that ilk, but just hate anything with the Tracer name attached. To tall, parts bin engineered and heavy & expensive, not comfy at all, the MSR/FJ09 version makes me just want to crank the throttle, the Tracer just makes me wish the ride was over. My .02

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There has not been a bad review on this bike. Love it myself as I had a ZRX and love the original Z1. Above the rest by a mile in the retro class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've owned 2 ZRX1200's and have loved UJM style bikes since I started riding in '76. I think my first bike was a brown/orange KZ400, so the Z900RS calls.
Lee

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't be blaming that on me! :smile2:

So being that I wasn't informed of the location of the donut shop I stopped at Ducati to ride the new V4 Multistrada. Initial impression was about the same as running into the s hot girl from high school who was drop dead gorgeous and is now as big as a house and has a bad disposition. Not only is the bike generic looking it's ugly. It got heavy, the seat is higher and wider making the bike feel awkward and the bars are so wide they could be beach bars off a Harley. Everything that was Multistrada is gone. I didn't even bother to ride it.
See, I did the smart thing- blew off the Duc dealer, grabbed a world famous donut or two.

Spectreman I wonder if McCruise out of AUS make a cruise control for the Kawi? That would be a plus for you.

As much as I like KTM I wouldn't spend the money their asking for the new 890 Adventure. It's nuts!
I don't know about the McCruise but I know Kaoko makes a good throttle lock for the Kawi. Ain't the same thing , as we know, but much less expensive. Dammit, I love that CC.

RE: KTM- you know we have a KTM dealer up here in Stuart, right? It's right off I-95, I think exit 102. I've never even been to the store, no idea what their inventory is but they're the only KTM dealer anywhere remotely close. They've been in business a long time and just recently opened this new shop.
Lee

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I do love the cruise control on my FJR (first bike with a CC) but on my CB I get by with a cramp buster. Can't take my right hand off completely but I can lay it flat on top of the grip. If I eventually go to a NC750X I'll put a cramp buster on it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
spectreman, one of the bikes I test rode was the XSR900... naked like the Kawi 900 and I thought it was a lotta fun. It moves! Scooted better than the Tracer GT I rode later.
See this link to see the Kenny Roberts version (I think 2016).
https://www.webbikeworld.com/yamaha-xsr900-review/

Dang, I need to get on that kinda test ride. When I rode the MT10 and the FJR, both were under 50mph *eye roll*. I would have to purposefully lag back and then try to punch it a little to even feel acceleration, and I felt dumb doing that. But at least it exposed me to how good the FJR feels between the legs and the rest is history.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts