FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really hard time hearing my Sena at speed due to wind noise and wondered if anyone had used these or similar.

The Bell Qualifier helmet isn't exactly top of the line for wind noise I'm sure. To make it worse, I'd really prefer to have some airflow and keep the windshield down primarily. I typically wear the purple foam disposable plugs with 33Db reduction which work OK. For some reason FM radio comes through louder than streaming Pandora or whatever, but still I give up altogether trying to hear anything from my helmet speakers at 75+ mph.

Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,017 Posts
I had some earpeace m plugs, they worked pretty well only complaint was that I tended to knock them loose putting my helmet on.

Reactions: Burque73

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
873 Posts
I have a really hard time hearing my Sena at speed due to wind noise and wondered if anyone had used these or similar.

The Bell Qualifier helmet isn't exactly top of the line for wind noise I'm sure. To make it worse, I'd really prefer to have some airflow and keep the windshield down primarily. I typically wear the purple foam disposable plugs with 33Db reduction which work OK. For some reason FM radio comes through louder than streaming Pandora or whatever, but still I give up altogether trying to hear anything from my helmet speakers at 75+ mph.

Thanks for any feedback
Wait... How the heck do you hear the comms better with earplugs in? Is this some 2022 wizardry?

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,017 Posts
Wait... How the heck do you hear the comms better with earplugs in? Is this some 2022 wizardry?
They filter out the wind noise. Decent earplugs have frequency filters. My custom in ear plugs have the same sort of swappable filters.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
2017 FJR 1300ES
19 Posts
Never understood the concept of speakers in the helmet. I got plugs made from Ultimate Ears. They're bluetooth and, even at top speed, I hear whatever I'm listening to (even lectures through my phone) crystal clear. They're great earplugs even when not listening to anything. No comms tho.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Never understood the concept of speakers in the helmet. I got plugs made from Ultimate Ears. They're bluetooth and, even at top speed, I hear whatever I'm listening to (even lectures through my phone) crystal clear. They're great earplugs even when not listening to anything. No comms tho.
When I have the girl as a pillion we use HelmChat, I don't really ever ride with people so I never wanted a Sena or anything like that. It can get a little weird with wind noise but I have found that the newer Air Pods work really well with the visor down.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Thanks for any feedback
Which Sena? They have an upgraded set of speakers you can buy that make a night and day difference. If you haven't already bought them, do yourself a favor.

I have an Atlas 2.0 helmet that is absolutely horrible for wind noise. I just use custom silicone earplugs that I made myself. Only on my second set of them after about 8 years because I lost one of the first set.

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
77 Posts
Personally, I don’t like earplugs. I tried them, and they do cut down on wind noise. However, wearing them on all-day rides in heat (in So. Cal) is not pleasant. No matter how soft they were, by the end of day they hurt, not to mention the damp feeling that can’t be good for my inner ears. I wear an HJC modular helmet, which are notoriously noisy. I also have a Cardo unit hooked up, and after playing a bit with the padding thickness behind the speaker pucks, I found the right compromise that places the speakers against my ears, but not pressing on them hard enough to hurt them. This setup allows me to hear anything coming through the speakers well, while the wind noise is reduced. Granted, not as well as wearing ear plugs, but the wind noise reduction is noticeanble.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Personally, I don’t like earplugs. I tried them, and they do cut down on wind noise. However, wearing them on all-day rides in heat (in So. Cal) is not pleasant. No matter how soft they were, by the end of day they hurt, not to mention the damp feeling that can’t be good for my inner ears. I wear an HJC modular helmet, which are notoriously noisy. I also have a Cardo unit hooked up, and after playing a bit with the padding thickness behind the speaker pucks, I found the right compromise that places the speakers against my ears, but not pressing on them hard enough to hurt them. This setup allows me to hear anything coming through the speakers well, while the wind noise is reduced. Granted, not as well as wearing ear plugs, but the wind noise reduction is noticeanble.
IS-MAX II? I have the breath guard and the chin guard and my in helmet mic still picks up a ton of wind. I had to get a serious hairball for it and still have to use serious wind reduction on all of my footage to even be able to listen to some of them.

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
77 Posts
My previous helmet was a Sy-MAX, ( I think). Now it is an i-95. Yes, it is noisy, but no one in my group of riders have complained so far, and my wife says that my calls are clear - however, she can tell when I am moving. I don’t do recordings, so I can’t speak to that, but my hunch is that the microphone you are using doesn’t have a noise cancellation circuit behind it (like what Sena and Cardo provides)? In that case you do need a big dead cat to reduce wind noise.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My previous helmet was a Sy-MAX, ( I think). Now it is an i-95. Yes, it is noisy, but no one in my group of riders have complained so far, and my wife says that my calls are clear - however, she can tell when I am moving. I don’t do recordings, so I can’t speak to that, but my hunch is that the microphone you are using doesn’t have a noise cancellation circuit behind it (like what Sena and Cardo provides)? In that case you do need a big dead cat to reduce wind noise.
Yeah it is just an inline lapel mic for GoPro. The after effects work fine but my main problem is I like the wind and my visor open (under 65mph). I had a Sena years ago but most of my buddies back then complained because I rode around with my visor open and a dirtbike helmet and they were all in high end AGV BS. I like a Shohei Neotech 2 but I'm cheap and poor.

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
77 Posts
:) I guess we are in the same boat with our helmets. I don’t want to change the topic of the thread, but I am wondering - if you still have your Sena, could you use that and its mike for better noise cancellation, and sync up a Bluetooth audio receiver to it to feed the audio into the GoPro? ( A Bluetooth receiver runs about $12 on Amazon, and it can be powered by a small power bank). I know, this adds more gadgets to the system, but it might work better.

·
Registered
873 Posts
:) I guess we are in the same boat with our helmets. I don’t want to change the topic of the thread, but I am wondering - if you still have your Sena, could you use that and its mike for better noise cancellation, and sync up a Bluetooth audio receiver to it to feed the audio into the GoPro? ( A Bluetooth receiver runs about $12 on Amazon, and it can be powered by a small power bank). I know, this adds more gadgets to the system, but it might work better.
I don't have the Sena any more. I think you could do that but I know Bluetooth and Wifi kill the GoPro's battery A LOT faster. I used to run a remote on the handlebars to record/stop recording but the connection took like 20% of my footage time away. I am looking to delete the GoPro battery next and plug it into a power bank via an inline cord. I usually run 2-3 cameras at a time but only one records the audio. When I get my full stream set up going it's going to work a lot better but I will have to figure out a way to do wind cancellation before the stream encoder. Hard to use an after-effect when everything is live. Almost at a thousand followers on TikTok so live is just around the corner, I still need to get there and then get the OK to stream via OBS and PC instead of just a phone. One step at a time.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which Sena? They have an upgraded set of speakers you can buy that make a night and day difference. If you haven't already bought them, do yourself a favor.

I have an Atlas 2.0 helmet that is absolutely horrible for wind noise. I just use custom silicone earplugs that I made myself. Only on my second set of them after about 8 years because I lost one of the first set.
Thank you! I am using the 20S evo. Didn't realize the speakers had been upgraded, we'll seriously consider those regardless of switching earplugs. Those Radians look interesting, and cheap!

@StreamRider The disposable earplugs do make it easier to listen to music and comms. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but music loud enough to hear while riding without earplugs has a more piercing sound, like white noise.

@RiderJoe I really don't like the hot days and moisture in the ear either, or the aching ear canal after long days of riding. Those go away, but the hearing loss from not wearing any protection will be permanent. I have enough exposure to noise at work.

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
77 Posts
@Burque73 Of course, you are right about the benefits of ear plugs, and the possible long-term hearing loss. For me, my setup is a compromise, and I know that. My helmet is noisy from the factory, and its inherent modular design. Ear plugs provided good noise reduction, but I really disliked the pain and gross feeling on full day rides, especially on multi day trips. The carefully positioned and cushioned speaker pucks i use now are a midway solution for me. Much better than the noisy helmet alone, and I can chat with my group on mesh when we need to, listen to turn-by-turn directions from my GPS, and can call my wife to let her know if I am running late - all at a very moderate volume level. I don’t listen to music because the speakers aren’t that good, and I would need to crank up the volume too high to listen to it anyway because of the remaining wind noise that I do hear.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
77 Posts
Thanks for the recommendatio @natsmada4fjr ! I tried those too and they work well, but for me for only a few hours at a time. So, yes, try them, but your results may vary.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For those that experience discomfort using foam earplugs, try stopping by a Safety Supply store in your area. They usually sell a wide assortment of ear plugs and often will sell them in individual packs so you can buy several styles/brands to see what works best for you. And earplugs come in sizes too. If you have a small ear canal, you're more likely to find discomfort from standard foam plugs. Contoured plugs will usually improve this over the strait sided or mild taper designs, but finding the correct size and style to fit your ear canal makes a world of difference.

The possibility of hearing loss is not a possibility, it's a certainty. Hearing loss is progressive and permanent. By the time you notice high frequency hearing loss, it's far too late, the damage is done and it's only going to get worse as you get older. No helmet alone will provide hearing protection. No helmet is advertised to be hearing protection. No helmet is rated with a NRR either. Helmets are crash protection, not hearing protection. Stop riding w/o hearing protection please.

I spent 30+ years in manufacturing after a tour in the Military. I have hearing loss from both. Thankfully not life altering and I don't need hearing aids, but once the damage is done, it's with you forever.

·
Registered
2017 FJR 1300ES
19 Posts
For those that experience discomfort using foam earplugs, try stopping by a Safety Supply store in your area. They usually sell a wide assortment of ear plugs and often will sell them in individual packs so you can buy several styles/brands to see what works best for you. And earplugs come in sizes too. If you have a small ear canal, you're more likely to find discomfort from standard foam plugs. Contoured plugs will usually improve this over the strait sided or mild taper designs, but finding the correct size and style to fit your ear canal makes a world of difference.

The possibility of hearing loss is not a possibility, it's a certainty. Hearing loss is progressive and permanent. By the time you notice high frequency hearing loss, it's far too late, the damage is done and it's only going to get worse as you get older. No helmet alone will provide hearing protection. No helmet is advertised to be hearing protection. No helmet is rated with a NRR either. Helmets are crash protection, not hearing protection. Stop riding w/o hearing protection please.

I spent 30+ years in manufacturing after a tour in the Military. I have hearing loss from both. Thankfully not life altering and I don't need hearing aids, but once the damage is done, it's with you forever.
Completely agree! I road for a few years without plugs with my first bike (GSA). After a short break without having a ride, I'm back on an FJR this time and always ride with plugs. Honestly, I spent the money and got molds made of my ear canals (about $200) and then got plugs custom made. In-ear monitors take a short minute to get used to but once you do, they're easy to wear and make all the difference! Not having them while riding you realize how loud riding actually is.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts