FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Pull behind for the bike. Highly technical drawing of the first part of the project attached ;) I figure on hanging some panniers on the rear section, a flat area above the wheel for strapping down longer items and a cooler rack on the front. Have some more trimming to do and need a trip to the steelyard. No particular schedule, just something to work on when I am bored.
Tire Wheel Bicycle Crankset Bicycle tire

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,302 Posts
Could we do an electric brake actuated off the brake light signal?

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imagine if you could figure out how to put a brake on it.
Not sure it would be real useful, but an interesting idea from a build perspective. Easiest way would be to build a very small surge coupler using the stock rear MC and run a line all the way back to the stock caliper.
Electric would be a huge pain and not practical since as far as I know there are no direct electric disc brakes, you would have to run an electric over hydraulic actuator (and they are big) and then have an inertial brake controller on the bike - because you can't just feed 12 volts into an electric brake.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yes its an interesting mental exercise with little benefit.
I would think a T in the line to the rear wheel caliper with a quick coupling to a line on the trailer would work. Depending on the bikes rear brake MC volume and stroke and its ability to produce line pressure to two calipers.
The trailer could 200is lbs which might benefit from a brake. Also considering that if you need a trailer the bike will be a full or over capacity anyway.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes its an interesting mental exercise with little benefit.
I would think a T in the line to the rear wheel caliper with a quick coupling to a line on the trailer would work. Depending on the bikes rear brake MC volume and stroke and its ability to produce line pressure to two calipers.
The trailer could 200is lbs which might benefit from a brake. Also considering that if you need a trailer the bike will be a full or over capacity anyway.
The way I look at it is - if I am loaded down then I am on a trip and have no passenger since my wife only rides with me on shorter day trips. So that is 125lbs less right there. But the trailer itself is an exercise in boredom too ;) Not sure I really need one but the bike has a hitch and I have time on my hands in the evenings.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Could we do an electric brake actuated off the brake light signal?
You'd need a controller for the electric brake. I use one on my pickup for a 6000-pound trailer, but for a single-wheel trailer that small? Dunno. I wonder if a surge brake would work.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
You'd need a controller for the electric brake. I use one on my pickup for a 6000-pound trailer, but for a single-wheel trailer that small? Dunno. I wonder if a surge brake would work.
I have worked with surge brakes on boat trailers for decades. They all have either a spring or gas piston for master cylinder plunger control. These control how much weight it takes to depress the plunger and how fast the plunger moves.
That would be the big hurdle to cross. Tuning the MC to the weight and speed of weight transfer of the trailer.
It might just be easier to add an independent MC to the bike and link the plunger to the existing lever. Either the hand or foot lever.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I don't think brakes are needed on a single wheel trailer, I used to have a UniGo on my Yellow Wing and due to a great UniGo hitch design, the trailer was firmly attached to the bike, and just like a third wheel, leaning with the bike, didn't even feel it one bit.
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting

Obviously @Oldjeep will need the same or similar hitch for his "unigo DIY version"
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part Rim
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Wheel

UniGo or other single wheel trailers are much better then 2 wheel trailers, where bike is doing one thing, and the trailer is fighting different forces, and it feels disconnected, upsetting the bike (ask me how I know), like in this example.
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I have worked with surge brakes on boat trailers for decades. They all have either a spring or gas piston for master cylinder plunger control. These control how much weight it takes to depress the plunger and how fast the plunger moves.
That would be the big hurdle to cross. Tuning the MC to the weight and speed of weight transfer of the trailer.
It might just be easier to add an independent MC to the bike and link the plunger to the existing lever. Either the hand or foot lever.
I bet. I expect an electric brake would be the same for such a small rig. Trying to tune if for something it was never intended to do could be a trick.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to say - I really like that U-Joint hitch idea. Looks super easy to make with a junk jeep front axleshaft.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guess I am going to have to get back to work on that trailer. Took months, but the thirdwheel hitch is finally here.

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Saw Gas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts