FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
As promised, the routes can be downloaded here:

tvguys.com/images/2021NoMoSno.zip

Bummer, Boofer. See you next time.

One route takes on a little journey over Talimena and then around the Winding Stair mountains before coming back, then over Magazine and back through Mena and over to some gentle high speed stuff in that corner of AR.

The other route shoots over to Magazine and runs all the way up 123 and down. Lots of miles if we keep moving.

From my side of the Ozarks, I'll have to transport a case of beer I'll pick up in Morillton, I guess.

Reactions: TrainWreck

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
As promised, the routes can be downloaded here:

tvguys.com/images/2021NoMoSno.zip

Bummer, Boofer. See you next time.

One route takes on a little journey over Talimena and then around the Winding Stair mountains before coming back, then over Magazine and back through Mena and over to some gentle high speed stuff in that corner of AR.

The other route shoots over to Magazine and runs all the way up 123 and down. Lots of miles if we keep moving.

From my side of the Ozarks, I'll have to transport a case of beer I'll pick up in Morillton, I guess.
Nicely done! Both routes come back near Mena for anyone who doesn't care to do that many miles in one day.

Oops! Looked at the shorter one wrong, but it could still be shortened by cutting the 123 route if some wanted to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not gonna make it. Going to be wet roads Fri & Sat, and I spent 3 days of traipsing around on mostly wet roads last weekend in AR at an MSTA event at Eureka Springs. Silver & Trainwreck - I might meet you guys in Eminence MO or somewhere on your way back Sunday. You have a 500 mi day to get get home, so let me know if that fits for you.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Doug, John A will be with me, I will let you know when we leave Mena on Sunday and when we cross into MO

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300
185 Posts
Man, I wish I could make this happen but it’s just not in the cards time-wise. Trainwreck and 2qk4u thanks for reaching out. I do appreciate the invite back! All you guys enjoy the ride and as always be safe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Damn it, I'm not going to make this trip! I just couldn't get everything done that I needed to get done thses last couple weeks to get the motorcycle school open next week. Its been too cold rainy, and snowy to paint my range and get the 16 bikes ready to go for next weeks classes.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I got home a few minutes ago and have joined the ranks of those who got to talk with Officer Friendly.

I got off with a warning for 76 in a 60, and the officer commented that I don't look like I make a habit of doing that. I think I can join KTM John in the Screen Acter's Guild for my performance when he said that. :rolleyes:

I had a great time guys. It's always a hoot to ride with a group who can keep a spirited pace with someone trying to showboat and make it stupid. Hope to see you all next time.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Very sorry to miss it, out of my control. Hope you all had a nice ride.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
The 19th NoMoSno is in the books...ride down from home Friday 576 miles, the ride Saturday with the guys 322 miles and the ride back yesterday 578 miles...total 1476 for the whole ride. Liquidsilver, 2qk4u, Mr. Ed, John A, and Mike joined in at the palatial Ozark Inn in the industrial side on Mena. Unfortunately, Mike had tire trouble and had to return home Saturday . But the whole group departed the motel at about 11 after waiting for the weather to clear, and while the rain stopped we hit DENSE fog on the Talimena Skyway and only saw it at about 50 yards at a time, after that we hit the Winding Staircase road in OK, we stopped at a stateline speakeasy to get life-sustaining beer, we hit Mt. Magazine up and back both ways and some tasty roads around Mena, On the way down and back we did Push Mtn and AR 9 between and fun roads like AR 27 and MO 19. Thanks as always to Liquid for being the fearless leader. A was a fun weekend except for the speed award yours truly received from an AR trooper on Friday evening. oh well. Some Pics

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,272 Posts
Looks and sounds like a good time was had by all. Again I couldn't make this spring gig, but will be keeping my ears to the ground for a fall Hoon ride.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I sure missed you all and the parking lot banter.........

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I sure missed you all and the parking lot banter.........
There was a hole without you there my friend, you also missed a toast to fallen friends with mighty tasty Tarantula. Maybe in the fall. TW

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Thanks for setting it up, Train. I thought it was a blast, even taking the LOOOONG way over there!

I had over 1700 miles total and I still have some rear tire left... and I don't want to flaunt it (haha) but Gene and I appear to have been the only ones going home without a performance award! We were taking the super-easy pace everywhere... though I WAS introduced to a school zone in Magazine that I didn't notice. The gentleman at arms was completely forgiving and a really nice guy to boot. He didn't even get out a piece of paper... and reminded my that my driver's license is expired. Doh!

Boofer, it would have been great to drink with you and Ann Margaret... and you'd LOVE the five-star hotel. (Though it was like the Drake compared to the flop house I stayed in in northeast Atlanta. Yes, those were blood stains on the carpet and burn marks on the wall. And there's a whole economy happening on the parking lot. I'll take any of our super-modest AR motels to that dump.)

So, after Train and I took the long trek home, I had to load the track bike up for Road Atlanta, leaving at 7am the next morning.

I trucked the race rig right through Cookville at 80mph and didn't have any time to stop.

Just happened to be in Atlanta on my niece's Tuesday birthday, so I took them to dinner (after extensive showering).

Thanks guys.

(Oh, I forgot to brag about how much DosEquis I could bungee onto the tops of my saddlebags!)

Pics attach
ed hopefully:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
The only negative, and I hesitate to mention, but this was the last ride I will attend with John A. It's fine if you guys want to ride with him, I'll just go a different way.

Apparently, he took something I jokingly said at the table in a local restaurant as an insult.

The short story is: as I'm negotiating Atlanta traffic on Monday, I get a text that 'The next time I call him a Dick, I'll be swallowing teeth.'

At first I thought he was in a text altercation with somebody else and that he was texting me by mistake. So I tried to let him know that it was ME he was texting and not the other guy. Then he clarified that it WAS me... so I'm thinking, "what the heck?"

To the best of my recollection, we were all joking with the lady owner of the restaurant we stopped at for lunch on the first day... and he said something wry and clever to her, to which I said, "Dang, you almost went 8 minutes without being a dick." Now, if you read that without having the context of the moment and lightheartedness of the table it would sound offensive... but I was joking about him being funny/smartalecky with her. As I remembered we continued to laugh and joke like that for the rest of the trip... giving Eric rubs as I always do for being a democrat... or myself for being a radical right-winger... Gene for riding a GoldWing... etc.

Back at the hotel after the ride, we all continued to have conversations and hanging out... so I had no idea he was upset with me. If I would have known I had offended him, I would have apologized immediately.

So there in Atlanta traffic on Monday, I did my best to apologize and asked him for his forgiveness. There was a pause... and then some responses letting me know I was 'kinda' forgiven... sorta-kinda.

In my apology, I asked him not to joke around about breaking my teeth (as if I don't know how to defend myself)

I can't help feeling that he also owes me an apology.

So, it's been a couple of days now, and I've honestly said many prayers to help me release the issue, and I forgive him for coming at me with a threat of violence even if he doesn't apologize.

But, I've ridden with people from everywhere and if you know me, you know I try to be friendly to everybody... whether you pee on my tire or what... I would have to be met with more than an insult before I threaten someone with 'knocking their teeth out.'

So, after much consideration, I've decided that this episode is demonstrable behavior of someone that cannot be trusted to ride with, like I ride with my other friends. If your first notice that someone is upset is a threat of violence, I think there is a problem waiting to happen. I choose not to ride with him again. I'm not afraid that I would lose my teeth in any foreseeable boxing match, but that kind of instability seems dangerous to me in other ways... and it makes me think how much I enjoy my friends, my family, my grandchildren and my ranch. I choose to spend the rest of my time on earth with people I trust... and with those to which I can demonstrate MY trustworthiness.

I hope this is understood in the spirit it's written. I have a great time with all of you and you're all great riders. I enjoy every minute of riding with you.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Thanks for setting it up, Train. I thought it was a blast, even taking the LOOOONG way over there!

I had over 1700 miles total and I still have some rear tire left... and I don't want to flaunt it (haha) but Gene and I appear to have been the only ones going home without a performance award! We were taking the super-easy pace everywhere... though I WAS introduced to a school zone in Magazine that I didn't notice. The gentleman at arms was completely forgiving and a really nice guy to boot. He didn't even get out a piece of paper... and reminded my that my driver's license is expired. Doh!

Boofer, it would have been great to drink with you and Ann Margaret... and you'd LOVE the five-star hotel. (Though it was like the Drake compared to the flop house I stayed in in northeast Atlanta. Yes, those were blood stains on the carpet and burn marks on the wall. And there's a whole economy happening on the parking lot. I'll take any of our super-modest AR motels to that dump.)

So, after Train and I took the long trek home, I had to load the track bike up for Road Atlanta, leaving at 7am the next morning.

I trucked the race rig right through Cookville at 80mph and didn't have any time to stop.

Just happened to be in Atlanta on my niece's Tuesday birthday, so I took them to dinner (after extensive showering).

Thanks guys.

(Oh, I forgot to brag about how much DosEquis I could bungee onto the tops of my saddlebags!)
I'll have you know I did get a warning on the way home but no award :)

I think he felt sorry for me when I flipped the front of the helmet up :(

As usual, you lead a good ride. I hope to see you at the next one.

Ed

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I'll have you know I did get a warning on the way home but no award :)
Haha! He gave you a warning... I call that an award alright! You just didn't get a TROPHY! :LOL:

Reactions: wheaton

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Haha! He gave you a warning... I call that an award alright! You just didn't get a TROPHY! :LOL:
Ah yes. I see. I'm pretty sure 16 over is the most I've ever been stopped for with just a warning. He was actually nice guy. I'm still chuckling at his statement that I don't look like I usually go that fast. If he'd seen what I was doing a mile or so earlier I'd probably be in jail. :oops:

61 - 80 of 89 Posts