FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2012 FJR Blue Beauty, 2014 FJR Red Head, +++
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving the freeway tonight on the outskirts of Los Angeles, and saw a pair of dim taillights ahead. Thought perhaps a pair of motorcycles were traveling together. Neither were very noticeable, the most noticeable illumination was two reflective stripes across a rider's jacket.

Getting closer, it turned out the lights were from a motorcycle and side car, and the reflective strips were from a riding suit. Never realized how poorly our bikes are lit up in the back. Will definitely put the reflective film on the back side of the panniers before my next long ride.

What ways have you found make yourself more visible from the rear at night?

Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was going to suggest driving during the day but we are probably more invisible to car drivers at those times. My LED headlights seem to PO a lot of car drivers at night based on the number of times I get high beams flashed at me.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've got some black reflective strips on the back of my current bags. The stock bags had these on them, which are pretty invisible in the day time.
View attachment 82333
This.

They're from Real Time Industries (www.realtimeindustries.com) in South Dakota. They also make precut reflective decals for the sides of the bags, sides of the fairing and top case. I bought the red version for the bags because they're also visible in the daylight and I find the black ones, which reflect white, when on the rear of a vehicle are kind-of confusing to drivers who are following you, but maybe that's just me. The black ones are basically invisible in daylight which is the look some want.

Haynes

Edit: Added photos. Sorry for the state of my FJR: she's sleeping until spring.😭

Haynes
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree with having more red in the back and in any way to make the bike look wider. This was in my mind too when ordering my Givi top case. As much as I liked the look of the smoked lenses on my grey '15, the red won out for visibility.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run led light strips under the rear just above the exhaust pipes if the bags are off they are visible from the sides. If I am approached from the rear the red brake light and the blue lights make me look like a motorcycle cop. I am going to get extra lights for up front for my night time rides... But I usually run my high beams all the time. Old habit from when light bulbs weren't reliable.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,871 Posts
Hey,

I have not tinkered my FJR lighting as yet; I really do not ride at night, these days.. There was a time when I did, working after dark, or before daylight. My answer was a serious bluff. I found automobile marker lights in a junkyard, which I added to the right side of the bike only. At night, my bike appeared to be a car running with no lights on the left side (as if a fuse was blown on the left side). Since approaching drivers could not tell where the right side of my "car" would be, they gave me a wide berth in passing, when normally they would have cut in closer to a motorcycle. Every little bit helps.

Reactions: TooManyBikes

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
I played with LED's in the back, never found anything was a whole lot better..... however, more recently on other bikes, I have used Superbrite LED's and they indeed are brighter.... just check which type of base you have first. If tail/brake are 1157, the signals are an offset type..... or vice versa, memory is bad. The offset ones I think are 7507 (single contact), forget what the double contact is...

Reactions: passx

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,911 Posts
What LED bulbs seem to work best on 2014 Gen 3 taillights?
I used:

For run/brake tail lights -> New-To-Me 2013 FJR

For rear turn signals -> New-To-Me 2013 FJR

I've asked several people I've ridden with and eveyone says they both work great and show up wonderfully.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also have the Admore light bar on both my FJRs, both mounted below the license plate and angled up slightly. It's normal ops on the '07 with run/brake and turn signal function. On the '13 I disabled (unwired) the turn signals. The turn signal link above has a 3 second video, you can see the lag in the light bar turn signaling and the new LED bike turn signaling. It looked very confusing so I did away with the light bar turn signaling.

·
Registered
2016 ES gun metal silver
62 Posts
Reflective Tape on the bags, white and red. I see the running lights are only the center ones. I'd like to see the running lights include the brake light (dimmer than when brakes on, like cars) and both signals on always. ..but blink when turning. My 16 is limited to the center circle of light. I put extra reflective tape on my helmet too. I have a high vis vest with reflective patches to wear at night in bad weather or bad light conditions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Last night I went into my garage with a headlamp that lit up the back of my bike and my riding gear that was hanging nearby. The reflective material on the back of my bike had faded a great deal compared to newer riding gear. Something to keep in mind, time takes a toll.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts