FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 12:30 no one else had joined us at the parking lot of Cheaper Than Dirt, so Izzy and I headed off west. Splitting south from 820, just west of the lake at Las Vegas Trail, we looped around and picked up Heron. From there we cruised along Heron to the north, Silver Creek, and Watercress before picking up Tx199 east bound across the lake. We then jumped off Tx199 and took Foster back west to the edge of the lake to continue our meanderings along Malagra and Cahoba beyond 820 and looped back to the north east until we stopped to fill our tanks and bellies at the Texaco just north of 820. This first section was fun and included some technical sections but it has to be taken with care. These are lakeside residential roads. Cars can be parked at the edge of the road. Pets sometimes roam loose. Road surfaces aren't the best (that's putting it mildly for some sections). Traffic is "casual" in its lane discipline. In other words, don't expect this to be anything other than a leisurely lakeside cruise even though the roads beg to be taken at speed. Their siren's song will dash you on the rocks if you succumb to the call.

While at the Texaco be sure and order the "old school junkyard burger". Over the years they've changed their menu and, while the junkyard burger is still there it's just a shadow of its former self. There was only one person who still knew how to make it. While backhoe-ing our way through this double bypass burger, the cook came out and said this lone soul had to show him how to make it. He grinned really big and said that the next time we came by to be sure and let him know because he had fun making them for us.

Tanks and stomachs sated, we seated back up and headed east. Yep east was the way to go west. Diving for the exit at Tx199 we headed NW through Azle and continued on until taking a left at FM730. This is a wide, well-maintained highway with a few curves and minor elevation changes; just the thing to set the cruise and relax your throttle wrist in anticipation of the upcoming challenges. Watch the side roads and grab Tucker west bound. Two words: Yeee and Haaaa. A good mix sweepers, tight corners, elevation changes and combinations of all of the above. Be sure to ride "the pace" so that you don't find yourself coming around a blind corner only to find a 20 yard section of the road covered in gravel. But minding your sight line and remembering your not on a race track won't detract from the fun that this road has to offer. Take Tucker west to FM51 and then head south (left). Just don't expect to stay there long. Grab North Lake Drive east again. It's more of the same you just had on Tucker!

Follow N. Lake Drive all the way back to FM730. From there tuck in for the ride south into Weatherford. At 180 turn west and do a loop around the Court House. Head back the way you came on 180 (east) and follow it back to the I-20 junction. You're on the home stretch back to the house.

Lotsa fun and only about a half day ride. We were back by 4:30. Hope your day was just as fun.

·
Registered
372 Posts
@bounce, consider that most who have read this post are at the freezing point or less and if not their road are totally ####ed with sand and salt.
So good on you mate. Thanks for sharing an sweet ride with your bretheren in the northern hemisphere. I will ride mine to work tomorrow, but it will be with less than optimal conditions. Texas, oh sweet Texas this time of year.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
One day I hope to get a Lone Star tour from the Bouncer! ;)

What part of Tejas do you pay rent in again?

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tejas ride

With the references to 820 and I-20, may I assume you're in the Ft. Worth area? I didn't realize anything with elevation changes and multiple curves existed within 50 miles of there.

I've got relatives and friends I could spend the evening with to catch these roads. Oh, and by the way, for the rest of the world, it's going to be 78 and no clouds (again) here in Houston. We just can't shake this nice weather. It gets really cold here at night, all the way down to 43 last night. Had to actually zip up the vents on my jacket and keep the faceshield closed!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Tejas ride

Tigger said:
Oh, and by the way, for the rest of the world, it's going to be 78 and no clouds (again) here in Houston. We just can't shake this nice weather. It gets really cold here at night, all the way down to 43 last night. Had to actually zip up the vents on my jacket and keep the faceshield closed!
I do not want to know that!

I am really looking forward to my 300 mile ride tomorrow.
~8 Degrees Celcius, cloudy, foggy and a drissle of rain.
No, I do not need to know about your cold horrible rides when you have to ride with your visor down.

Regards,

The now grumpy one

·
Registered
721 Posts
8 degrees, positively balmy compared to the -4 we're getting tonight!

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Tejas ride

Tigger said:
With the references to 820 and I-20, may I assume you're in the Ft. Worth area? I didn't realize anything with elevation changes and multiple curves existed within 50 miles of there.
yeppers. they're there. not colorady rockies elevation changes, but there are some hidden here and there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts