FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Are the relay arms interchangeable between model years? I'm going to assume the ES is the same?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just looked and the part #'s are the same for an '07 and an '015 at least. Looks like the whole shebang will run about $300 with bearings, seals, spacers, etc.

Reactions: Tommy100sa

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
All relay arms for the A models are the same..... ES is different. They're scarcer now, but might be able to find a used one on ebay....... I've bought a couple that were in quite good shape.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
There are 2 or 3 on Ebay right now. '05-07 if I remember right.

·
Registered
2012 FJR Blue Beauty, 2014 FJR Hot Red Head, +++
313 Posts
EBay should have everything. Shipping to SA may be problematic. If shipping is not too bad, I have the relay arm, dog bones and other bits from a 2012 in California. PM if these will help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You don't necessarily have to remove radiator and exhaust. Do a search but I think guys are able to loosen the right side muffler and swing it out of the way just enough to get to the center stand bolts. Also guys make a home made stand out of plumbing pipes to hang the bike from.
Thanks, I will repaint the radiator, and focus on maintenance needs as Arrive.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Your last picture shows the housing droped down, if it swings easilly why take the bike apart to grease it. That bearing is protected from muck by the swing arm.
Have you tried to remove the bearing from the bottom of the shock ?
You will probably find that the bearing is siezed solid which is why the dog bone has snapped.
To remove that bearing get a large G cramp and using a couple of sockets just wind it out and then reverse the procedure with a new bearing.
It would not be possible to grease those bearings through a grease nipple as they are needle bearings that do not rotate, they just move a little each way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update.. please no comments about the rust, it's a old coastal bike.
The acsess to the radiator mount is easy by the radiator cap, but omw the other side is deeply hidden by the fuse and start solinoid as well as battery case. Grumble.
Gesture Automotive tire Tints and shades Electric blue Art

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
Have you considered the alternate method.... remove centerstand while the bike's rear end is suspended (properly).

I'd recommend removing the entire relay arm and replacing bearings (or the arm) while on the bench using a vice..... they're pressed in there and that would be very difficult to do while on the bike with a C-clamp. It's true the middle dogbone bushing and bearing plus the shock mount one are likely corroded.... you can press out those two bushings in situ and have a look at the condition...... note, there is a brownish plastic needle spacer/retainer on the ID of the bearing. It's fragile, so if in half decent shape, try not to destroy it....... if the bearings are rusty, then no choice but to replace them. Post up some pics and we can advise further.

As for the front one, yes it is protected more and may or may not be OK. The whole idea is to ensure sufficient grease in there to prevent water intrusion past the seals. Yammy tended not to put in enough to prevent that.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Yep...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey, maybe the guy had the little woman on board and went over a speed bump and look what happened:rolleyes: Seriously from the pix it kind of looks like general lack of maintenance and lots of riding where they dump mega-tons of salt all over the place.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
574 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A update. The bike is stripped to a point where there is less weight at the rear.
Checking swing arm bearings as well.
Using a ladder as A frame and supporting the motor a bit.
Now I cannot get the Relay arm off, the spacer seems stuck.
Some Advice please? 😊
Pics of bike strapped down and Relay arm left and right sides.
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Bicycle part Auto part

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle brake Bicycle chain

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
I'd first undo the rest of the relay arm at rear shock.... spray some penetrant on the spacer, it should loosen up...... AND, you don't have to remove it completely to get the relay arm off. Don't know if you got enough meat there to get some pliers on it to wiggle it a bit.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
I'd be inclined to heat it up with a map torch and see if it moves. If you were in the US where parts are easy to get I would just cut the whole pivot assembly right down the middle and replace it to avoid doing any sort of damage to the frame it is mounted to.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts