FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
2007 FJR1300A
So my first question is, what will cost a finger if I get the stripping sequence wrong?
Put it up on the centerstand, stick a board or something under the rear tire to keep it from dropping. It'll be fine.

Premium Member
Saw that on FB. Lots of threads here how to service the pivots. Use the search button.

Reactions: Tommy100sa

Registered
2007 FJR1300A
When I did mine, the center stand blocked access to one of the bolts/nuts. Did I do it wrong?
He is just removing the dog bones, that is not one of the bolts that needs to be removed. If you are removing the relay arm, that bolt comes into play.

Premium Member
Judging by the crusty build up, those linkages look like they locked up causing the bone to snap. I'd do the full monte linkage disassemble, clean and lube if that was mine.

Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
Judging by the crusty build up, those linkages look like they locked up causing the bone to snap. I'd do the full monte linkage disassemble, clean and lube if that was mine.
What he said! The broken dog bone is likely a symptom and not the cause...

Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
Agree the suspension is seized up and can't pivot.... never been greased...... I'm gonna bet money you'll need some spare parts for the suspension pivot.
Put the bike on the centerstand and a piece of wood under the rear tire. Use it as a lever later to get things lined up when you're ready for reassembly........
If you remove the rear dogbone bolt, the dogbones then should drop and allow the suspension pivot to pivot forward of the centerstand where you can get tools on the bolt/nut.

Registered
For the Yami sport bike, broken linkages were common among bikes that had been lowered with an aftermarket part.

Dangerous actually...

Registered
Ouch! You silly boy. You should have spend LESS time riding, and more time playing keyboard jockey on the various FJR forums where you would have learned about the dangers of not lubing all the suspension bearings. You're welcome.

Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
Also read up on how to access the front bolt on the suspension relay arm..... alternate method is to cut the two centerstand bolts off (they are in the wrong way), suspend the bike and remove the centerstand.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update. Put bike on center stand, planks under the rear wheel.
Removed dog bones and shock, found center baring section of linkage severly worn.
Other bearings look promising.
Now I need to lift this beast up somehow, remove radiator and exhausts and so on.
Going to order maintenance kit, unfortunately from Japan.
Not much stock here in darkest (Load shedding) Africa..
You can see the denting from the cursed speed bumps.
Fluid Liquid Wood Automotive tire Rim

Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Water Sink

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

Premium Member
You don't necessarily have to remove radiator and exhaust. Do a search but I think guys are able to loosen the right side muffler and swing it out of the way just enough to get to the center stand bolts. Also guys make a home made stand out of plumbing pipes to hang the bike from.

Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
What Whooska said..... OR, if you're going ahead to remove the exhaust, make note you only need to loosen the top rad bolts, remove the lower mount and swing the bottom of the rad forward.... there's enough room to remove the exhaust header bolts......

When you get to removing the centerstand, remember to put the bolts in the correct way around for next time.

A forum member on another forum did indeed modified a relay arm with grease fittings.....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts