FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following Moose's suggestion that the next ride is out Atlas' way, here is a thought and possible ride plan:

Date: 8 July
Destination: Bunya Mountains
Meet: Fernvale to leave there at 9am (This is 100+k's from home for us, hence the late 9am start)
Route: Esk, Crows Nest, Cooyar, Rangemore, Bunya Mtns; then return

Question - is this asking too much in midwinter with such short days? Fernvale to Bunya is 200k's, and it probably is fine if stops are kept short. But part of the fun of the day is the stops/chats.

Alternative - don't go to Bunya, but ad in a few loops around Crows Nest to Lake Perseverance and Lake Cressbrook, then after lunch at Crows Nest head home down the range through Spring Bluff. (Actually, this alternative in the short days of winter is probably better).

Anyone want to develop the idea?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Day Out

David,

Either or would proabably be ok, but as you say, but the stops would need to be short for the longer one.

An alternative instead of postmans ridge mayeb the run from Esk to Gatton,we did some weeks ago for the first time, some nice road for sure. Let me do some research.

Mel (middle daughter) and myself are off to Carnarvon Gorge on Wednesday, do a big loop and come back on Saturday probably. Just serviced effie, but will need a new rear I think before we leave knowing there is going to be some gravel...

·
Registered
361 Posts
David,

Sounds great!! I've never been to any of those areas before and can't wait to ride them. Looking forward to catching up on the 8th July.
Maybe I might bring my wife as pillion this time ...so as to slow down the '06 (Rocket) and give you guys a chance to keep up :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gees guys would love to make it but I think your right the days are a bit too short if I'm to come from Tassie!

I enjoy reading the posts and if you are ever in tassie and ned a pilot guide count me in
Cheers Scotty
02 FJR

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Scotty,

Where's your heart mate?
Just get on the bike...Get on the boat...ride up north (fair way) come for a ride with us for the day....and you'd be back on yer Island before dark!!

No seriously mate :wink: The last ride I did with "crazy :p Dave1300" and his "merry men" was fantastic!! They are a nice bunch of blokes with a real passion for their FJR's and riding in general.

Got a ring to it I think "CraZy Dave & his Merry Men" :crylarf:

mOOse

·
Registered
66 Posts
Count us in for this one. We have been wanting to get up around the Bunya area for some time. I am exceptionally happy now that I realise it is 8 JULY rather than 8 JUNE which I couldn't make because of Grandfather duties. 9:00 at Fernvale is a good time for us, it's about 1hr15m from home over Mt Glorious.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Are we still doing this guys? I look forward to meeting up with you all again :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Barring a major catastrophe we are there. I'm probably riding to Moree for lunch this Saturday - Zea may stay at home 'cause she has some commitments that evening that she must be home for, and she seems to need at least 15 minutes between arriving home from a 12-hour ride and going out again. Me - 5 minutes is fine :mrgreen:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Still Good To Go

Hey Guys,

Still good this end.

How about the following :

Meet @ Plainlands Pub 9am

Pub - Esk via Gatton -Esk Rd 50Kms approx

Morning Tea Esk

Esk to New England Highway 47Kms

New England to T'woomba 32 Kms

T'woomba to Allora 60Kms approx

Allora to Boonah 60Kms

Boonah Lunch

Boonah to Home 100 kms approx

The only boring bit will be the run when we hit the New England to Allora, plenty of twisty stuff on th eother roads...

Thoughts ???

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good route selection, ride captain.

My few suggestions are:
1 - maybe make a detour to Lake Perseverance - worth the ride
2 - Have morning tea a little further from the start - maybe up top of the range nearing TWBA. Makes the stops more evenly spaced.
3 - Instead of going into Toowoomba, maybe go down Murphy's Creek/Postmans Ridge into Helidon then your nice road up Ma Ma Creek. This is 95k's compared to the 52 of your selected route and I remeber how you like this road. We trade extra distance for more fun, but might make the day too long.
4 - Lunch at Flavours Cafe in Boonah is good - in the main road on the left, marked as bike friendly.

But I am happy for you to leave it exactly as is.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Agree

Hi David,

I thought of exactly that, but also thought might be too long a day for the rest of you... Time wise, by the time we got through t'wmba we could probabbly go via postmans & ma ma creek anyway !

Lets decide on the day and keep the basic route... As for M/Tea, I thought by the time we got there nearly 10, the rest of you would have been on the road a couple of hours anyway.....

We can stop when we like, do't really matter, lets make it up as we go along, as we usually do anyway !! :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Guys,

Both sound very good!!! I'm happy to go antwhere :D

Ride safe David on route to Moree mate :wink: we need you back.

Look forward to our next ride in "Atlas land"

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Agree

atlas said:
I thought of exactly that, but also thought might be too long a day for the rest of you...
Aaahh, so I take it I'll see you at Moree for lunch on Saturday - just a short drag up and over the range for you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Already looking forward to the day, wherever we ride. Thanks again for taking the lead in setting the route :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
The itenerary sounds good. I'm not sure about the Plainlands Pub for the kick off, is that the one on the Ipswich Toowoomba road about halfway to Toowoomba? Wouldn't this mean backtracking to Esk? If it is I might be better coming around Mt Glorious and through Gailes to the highway rather than across Glorious to Fernvale as originally planned, or perhaps keep that plan and try to find a way through Lowood back to the highway?.

What advice can you provide for the geographically challenged?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
silverado said:
I'm not sure about the Plainlands Pub for the kick off, is that the one on the Ipswich Toowoomba road about halfway to Toowoomba?
I agree, Gav - I skimmed that section without registering. I am also not sure where the Plainlands pub is, but there are a couple of coffee shops in Fernvale that will make a good meeting point and first stop for those of us who left home at 7:30 to get there (and need a croissant for brekkie)

Does this sound OK, Atlas.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Guys,

Fine by me... I was trying to avoid that area though, ONLY because there are too many boy racers and far too many boys in blue....

Gav, either way we do it, you will do some back tracking, but if we meet at pub, you will doing on different and less congestive roads ! :)

We can take a vote if ya'all want :) But I am easy. Not cheap.

·
Registered
361 Posts
David, Gav and anyone else who's going...

Are you guys coming through Ipswich on your way to Atlas's backyard? If so...shall we meet up somewhere and ride together to Fernvale or the afore mentioned pub? I can meet you @ Yamanto? Ipswich?

Are you coming along Kev? :?

Looking forward to it guys...never been up to Esk :ale:

I met a guy at Slacks Creek today (Phil..Blue 2001 FJR) who was very interested in meeting some like minded FJR people ...so I invited him along if that is OK? We'll see if he responds and joins in :?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like Atlas said - the more the merrier (and this includes friends who don't [yet] have a FJR). The important thing is to ride safely and enjoy the day. We don't ride as a formal ride or in a continuous staggered group (Harley or Ulysses style) and everyone has responsibility for their own speed, safety and comfort level. I may even invite a friend who has just bought a new ST1300 (poor misguided soul). So far the worst damage we have suffered on a ride is a scraped peg-feeler :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm happy to go with the consensus and adjust my approach angle to suit as necessary. I like the idea of a meet in Ipswich or surrounds, that way someone else can guide me to the Plainlands Hotel.

I presume David1300 will come up through the Logan Motorway ( ???), so somewhere up the road from that on ramp to Ipswich road would probably be good. How about the big Garage on the left at Blacksoil (in the 80k zone just before the Esk turnoff) or if you want to go through Ipswich we could meet a tt he Yamaha shop on the left as you ride into town?

I will stay tuned for further installments.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts