FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
norflyer said:
Hei !!
a furry thing ,with 4 legs and a tail....
How can you give a newbie such an incomplete answer :cry: Correct answer is: a furry thing ,with 4 legs and a tail, usually chased by a dog :mrgreen:

·
Registered
76 Posts
On that topic. Will my fjr respond just as well without the cat?
What are the pros/cons besides the obvious?
I know I need a power commander but do I also need to have it tested?
Can you use a power commander with the cats?

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
The stock pipes are tuned to have cats. If you just rip the cats out, there are now voids in the pipe that could scavenge performance.

Counter to one or two with opinions on this, removing the cats without installing exhaust tuned for 'no cats,' like the Holeshot full system, is a complete waste of effort, completely futile.

I used an infrared thermometer and temp sticks to determine that the cats had nothing to do with perceived rider heat, either. (way back in 2002)

You need a PowerCommander if you want to be able to change your fueling, period. Cats or no cats. That's all it does. If you put a large volume exhaust on the bike, you may benefit from changes in the fueling. But the PCIII alone doesn't make much difference, if any, to the bike's peak horsepower.

EGT and throttle response can be affected by changing the fueling with a PowerCommander. I used mine to richen the FJR's lean midrange, and to lean the rich top end.

:)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
wesexcellence said:
On that topic. Will my fjr respond just as well without the cat?
What are the pros/cons besides the obvious?
I know I need a power commander but do I also need to have it tested?
Can you use a power commander with the cats?
One of Kerry's M8s (steve I think) has a 4into1 system and had been setup on a dyno for max power, he also runs 010s and chases down well riden Gixer 1000's but he's a bit of a nutter though.

On the down side it drinks fuel low 20's mpg. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.