FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the UK and have been lurking here for a while, while I saved my pennies to buy my FJR. I don't really want to spend more than £7,000 and was hoping to get something around a 53 or 04 plate. I came across this bike http://www.davidsykes-superbikes.com/DisplayProduct.asp?ProductID=117 going for £7,000 but it's an 03 (12,500 miles) and seems rather expensive to me. It does have a lot of farkles fitted, but not necessarily ones I would want.

As the year progresses and the new 06 models start to arrive, then I'm hoping there will be an increase in the number of used bikes out there.

I suppose my questions are...

1) is £7,000 going to get me an 04 (from a dealer as I have a trade-in)?

2) Are there any major differences between the 2003/2004 models?

Any comments appreciated.

Regards,

Glenn

·
Registered
103 Posts
I spoke to a friend of a friend recently whos in the bike sales business and he told me top book price for a 53 plate was £6775 and bottom book was £5500, I paid £6200 for my 53 plate and it has about £600 worth of farkles on it. My opinion has always been don't look at the number plate look at the condition of the bike, a bike with 20000 miles on it and 4 years old could be in a lot better condition than a one year old bike with 5000 miles on it.

I found this bike and the dealer was nearly top in the Ride power survey.

http://www.alfenglandmotorcycles.co.uk/

click on pre owned and scroll down till you see the fjr

theres also this one but it is way down south

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4611120208&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I see that David Sykes is in the North East Glenn, which makes it easier if you have any post purchase problems.

So I suppose it depends if you are willing to travel further afield to get one at a better price.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm new here and collected mine from Alf England yesterday - '03 with less than 4k miles but no ABS! They are very nice people. They actually had 2 red ones - the one remaining is the one shown. It's in nice condition - they were ex Yamaha training instructor bikes.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Glenn, the Ride magazine used bike guide, issued last year, shows the following:

2003 dealer 6500 private 5938
2004 6795 6115

2003 ABS 6864 6178

I don't know how accurate this is and it doesn't show the difference between 03 and 53, 04 and 54.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the replies and tips. I think I need to start keeping a record of bikes I come accross and their prices/details in order to get a better 'feel' for the right price. However, i't looks promising for me getting a 2004 for my self imposed budget.

Thanks again.

Glenn

·
Registered
55 Posts
knnelg said:
Many thanks for the replies and tips. I think I need to start keeping a record of bikes I come accross and their prices/details in order to get a better 'feel' for the right price. However, i't looks promising for me getting a 2004 for my self imposed budget.
Yeah I had to do that in the end. I missed out on 3 different bikes because I wasn't sure of what they were worth.

for a good '04, I'd expect between £5500 and £6750, but I probably wouldn't buy the cheaper ones. Most '03's seemed to be around the same price for similar condition and mileage.
Price starts to drop older than that, but still hold remarkably well.

dealer here in Bristol had a new '05 for £10100
I picked up a '05 at a London dealer, 3k and 18 months warranty left for £8150.

Good, well kept bikes seem to move very quickly, so you need to know your chosen subject and not be hesitant.

YMMV of course

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this a realistic price

Hi,

I just had a test ride on this example today, and let's just say I was impressed.

It's an 05 reg, ABS, with Yamaha panniers (and liners), fender extender , 'Heli' handlebar risers and 4,500 miles on the clock.

Dealer wants £7999 and won't budge from that, but he is going to replace the rear tyre with new BT020 as the current one is near the end of it's life. and he is giving me a fair price for my trade-in.

The bike is in immaculate condition, and I mean immaculate (well it was before I dirtied it by taking it for a ride on the salty roads)

Does this seem a reasonable price?

I'm thinking of commiting to this on Monday (if its still for sale)

Any feedback, gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well, this is the nearest price Parkers gives for an ABS:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_bike/valuation.aspx?deriv=6057&plate=74

Or a non ABS:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_bike/valuation.aspx?deriv=6082&plate=75

Ride mags' guide goes up to 2004 (doesn't state ABS/non)
Dealer £6795

A new back tyre is worth £130.
Liners £50+
Risers - well thats if you like 'em, can take 'em off.

If you go by the last post, seems a reasonable price to me, manufacturers warranty to boot, no worries.

"Good, well kept bikes seem to move very quickly, so you need to know your chosen subject and not be hesitant." he said

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just to put another slant on it, Chesterfield motorcycles in err chesterfield are doing brand spanking new ones for £8600 as are KJM superbike in Wigan, with panniers but nothing else. Has the bike got an alarm? I think most insurers will insist on a cat 1 alarm. Seems a fair price from a dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Coppertop/Rabbit1300

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I've seen the Cheap 05's. CMC are also doing them (Or is this the Chesterfield's your talking about? http://www.cmcbikes.com/deals.htm) for £8,600 + £80 'Admin' charge. This takes us to near £8,700 and I don't think these are ABS models (some would say that's preferable, but I like the idea of ABS).

This on top of the fact that I've already blown my original budget by a grand (was looking for an 04 @ £7,000), means I'm already spending more than I intended.

The more I think about the bike pictured above, the more I realise It's the one I want.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Glenn

·
Registered
103 Posts
Rabbit, CMC are deffo UK bikes, can't vouch for KJM in Wigan though.

Glen, they are ABS as the 05 ones came with luggage and ABS as standard. CMC is chesterfield, they have branches in Sheffield, Cannock and Notts as well.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That sure does surprise me coppertop, just goes to show what can be done by dealers.

Looks like Glenn is getting his wallet out this morning.

Go on, you know you should, go on.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like Glenn is getting his wallet out this morning.
Well, I did open my wallet and now it's rather empty :( . But on the plus side, I'll soon be in posession of the above mentioned beuty :D. But on the down side I now need to insure it :(

Feel like a little kid at christmas, way to excited.

Thanks for all the comments.

Regards,

Glenn

·
Registered
103 Posts
congratulations Glen, I know how you feel because I was exactly the same and I couldn't wait to get out on the new bike, downside is it doesn't get any easier as once you've been out on it you can't wait to get out on it again. I also found the fjr to be a very forgiving ride and felt so relaxed as soon as I started riding it, I had a fazer for 7 years prior to the fjr but it is a totally different riding experience, and as a bonus you also get the help and advice of a great bunch on this website, you'll love it, enjoy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts