FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's, I've got a 2005 with a little over 12,000 miles on it. I want to change the stock windscreen and I just wanted some feedback from some of you on which one to purchase. I've been pretty happy with the stock unit, except for the back pressure I get when the screen is in the fully up position. I'm 5'-9" tall and I don't get much wind buffeting from the stock shield either. If it wasn't for that back pressure issue, I would be happy with it. I don't want to do any modifications to the stock screen as I'm not exceptionally mechanically inclined and I'm pretty anal retentive about the finished product. What do you guy's think?

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Many are opined on, here on site. I've heard claims that the CaliforniaScientific shield has addressed back pressure.

My personal adage... take 2000 dollars of your life's earnings and call it the windshield fund. One person's favorite windshield is often another's least favorite. And it seems that finding a personal favorite takes a few tries. Across all of the bikes owned in a lifetime, I'm thinkin' it'll be around 2000 bucks. :mrgreen:

The biggest mistakes I've made in windshields had to do with thinking 'taller' meant 'less buffetting.' I've found that the opposite is often true.

Good luck.

:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I put a +4" Powerbronze screen on mine, was delighted with it. Still suffered from the back pressure, but was ideal in our shitty Scottish wet weather...could still run with an open flip face or open face helmet even in the worst weather.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think there is only one real way to relieve the back pressure and that is to obtain a screen like the CalSci one, or a much cheaper option is to use a dremel and cut holes that match the CalSci screen. I have the Yamaha touring screen and I went through the same process as you and ended up cutting the holes = no backpressure, less weave and wobble with a top box fitted. Living in the UK it is a risk importing the CalSci shield anyway so out came the Dremel.

Excellent mod.

biker_911 said:
I've been pretty happy with the stock unit, except for the back pressure I get when the screen is in the fully up position. I'm 5'-9" tall and I don't get much wind buffeting from the stock shield either. If it wasn't for that back pressure issue, I would be happy with it. I don't want to do any modifications to the stock screen as I'm not exceptionally mechanically inclined and I'm pretty anal retentive about the finished product. What do you guy's think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
High Screen Alternative

Just thought i'd throw my tuppence worth into the debate about screens.
I'm 6ft 1 1/4 and have an 02 variant. I didn't like the stock screen as it didn't give me much protection being fairly tall so i tried these guys http://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk in Gainsborough in Lincolnshire. They do a tall and wider screen in clear, black, and a dark tint with a flip on the top. I got a dark tint and it took some getting used to as you can't see through it quite so well as the clear one. Great thinks i - more projection but also more buffeting. Not being a shrinking violet and only having paid about £50-£60 (can't remember quite how much so don't quote me) i decided to take the dremel to it and cut holes in it much like the Cal Sci screen. I rounded the corners in the holes and carefully measured and made a paper template first before i started, fixing it to the screen before i started. Result - HOW MUCH QUIETER - yes the windflow characteristics are slightly different but i'm putting this down to the flip on the top of the screen. It might be interesting to compare on one without the flip and the holes in it - but for now i'm happy with the result. - I can hear my luverly Remus Revolutions making sweet music!

If you need pix of the finished job - e-mail - Good Luck

Take your time, take a deep breath, do it!

Wilf

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also found that with my CLEAR touring screen, when the screen is slightly lowered, that I get a more comfortable view of the road, when filtering, negotiating twisties or around town, or at slow speeds and balance is better. I usually raise it to full-up position when on the dual carriageways and motorways to provide high speed comfort and protection. I don't think I could ride with a tinted or dark screen because I wouldn't have a clear view of the road and I would need to lower it most of the time. I am approx 6ft and the top of the screen meets my eyeline when in the full-up position.

Maybe it's just me, or does anyone else find this?

This is a definite bonus of an adjustable screen.

Tim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Windscreen

I just installed one on my '05 from www.rifle.com and I'm extremely happy with it. It includes a tuning block that tips the windshield back an additional 7degrees, and the wind at 70mph on the highway is minimal. They have a whole page describing their solution, and I have to testify that it worked for me. I'm 6 feet tall, and the taller windshield really works for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts