FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!

How are you going to burn those tires off?

• Saddle up and hit the highway! Let's get a few of those IBA certificates!

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Gas up and load the saddlebags I'm/we are going to see the sights we always wanted to see!

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • New Pirelli's? Time to burn off some chicken strips on the curviest of curves this place has!

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Free 97 and a week off? Track week!

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • GPS check. SPOT check. Map's check. Full tank in the ADV bike we're going where no bike has gone!

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Always wanted to perfect my whip and that triple needs to be sent! MX Time!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always wanted to take that vintage banger on a long ride. Pack up the wrenches!

• Lemme get my tent, National Parks on the bike here we come!

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Does the credit card cover bail as a "Road Related Expense" because "Unsafe Operation"?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Number two and three, but we could not pick two of them. I ride very twisty roads several days a week, so I guess I’ll pick #2 for a special trip. But it would involve some spirited riding. It’s what I do.

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
I have that option anytime, but rarely go ride my bikes.
Then why own an FJR?
I have 5 more states to hit to complete the lower 48 of states I've ridden in. 4 of them are on the east coast, so I guess with 5 days off I'd hit the east coast and pick up those 4 ( RI, Conn, New Jersey and Delaware)

Im retired, so it yet could happen when this pandemic is behind us.
I am missing the central eastern seaboard states (NJ, DE, MD, and VA) and MI.
I............ Have..A.......Dream. Here it is. A figure 8 across the U.S. Start here in Mn. head to south west deserts, up the Cal. coast to Or. angle back to Mn. Take a break for some good sleeping & have the ole lady feed me for a few days. Then finish the 2nd half of the figure 8 going to east coast. Not to sure if or when it will happen. But............ I ...........Have.......A...........Dream
How about the Four Corners X? The only problem is that you are tied to a 26 day clock.

And if you want to see some country, there is always the IBA National Park Series (50 parks in 25 states in a year).

·
Premium Member
2016 FJR1300AK
158 Posts
Then why own an FJR?
Well, after retiring i wanted to spend as much time as I can with my 8 year old and wife. Family is more important to me than riding so that's where my spare time goes. So... that's why.
BUT... I did ride 10k miles last year and visited 27 states. So, not riding much is relative.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,524 Posts
Well, after retiring i wanted to spend as much time as I can with my 8 year old and wife. Family is more important to me than riding so that's where my spare time goes. So... that's why.
BUT... I did ride 10k miles last year and visited 27 states. So, not riding much is relative.
Retired, and an 8 year old? Wow.

·
Premium Member
2016 FJR1300AK
158 Posts
Yep, it's a struggle.
Retired from the Air Force after 22 years being 40 years old.
Been a rough year and a half since retiring with a crazy little daughter, but we're managing. 😊

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I'm 63 with a 6 year old. The wife is much younger than I. We tried to start a family long ago but could not for medical reasons. So we got into Fostering.

6 years ago this little 3 month old was sick and stole our hearts. His biological mom signed her rights over and we took dad to court and adopted him. There are times when I think I could be retired and riding. But then he takes my hand and says "I love you Daddy". And I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Shoe Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2014 ES
1,581 Posts
And,,,, did you buy him that honda mini bike??? Yea his feet don't touch the ground, but never stopped me when I was a kid. I blew it, didn't get my kids a mini bike when they were young enough and I was working 16 hour days. Before I knew it, they were driving a car!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I didn't buy... yet. He needs to be a bit bigger and a little more responsible. I'm guessing maybe by the end of the upcoming summer or next spring.

Reactions: FjrjrF

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I bought my son a Z50 for Christmas when he was 5. He couldnt reach the ground, but could reach the footpegs, so I put a concrete block out in the yard he could step on to get on the bike. If he got off anywhere in the yard he had to push it back over to the concrete block.

He's now 42, rides a Yamaha MT 10 and a Ducati 696 Monster. His kids 6 and 9 have both been riding Yamaha 50's for a couple of years.

My son and I have taken an out of state trip together every year for the last 13 years.

Hopefully he will be able to continue that tradition with his son's after I'm gone.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I would like to have him on something but he has a minor learning disability, so we're careful with him.

Reactions: Fringe_Remnant

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I like riding with my friend Brian that hates hiways so it is almost always scenic America and paved goat trails and sometimes not so paved. I may not do lotsa miles like others but I do enjoys myself.

Mr Whooshka congrats to you and your wife with the adoption.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,524 Posts
Good lord. I'm 51 with kids that are 31,25 and 23 with a 1 year old grandson. I envy the energy you must have.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
530 Posts
I didn't buy... yet. He needs to be a bit bigger and a little more responsible. I'm guessing maybe by the end of the upcoming summer or next spring.
Maybe you could insall adjustable shocks, slip the front forks, get a Corbin seat, where there's a will there's a way. 🤣 Just kidding. Good on you. Family is everything. 😉

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Helmet Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle helmet

My 5.5 year old has an air bag vest and a Sena but she is so talkative I have to turn her down all the time.
(pic not of us, I would never buy a KTM)

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Agree with that, and you'll rarely see my bike on an interstate, no IBA stuff for me. Too much to see, the good stuff is on the lesser travelled twisty roads.
I like the interstates, good for when you only have 3-4 days. You can haul fast out to the interesting stuff at 80-90mph and then get to spend some time at your destination.
Agree with both. :)

I do a lot of interstate, but it's just to get where I'm going to ride. I have friends near Denver, and to get there from my home in Arkansas is 1000 miles of straight roads no matter what. I can leave my home in the morning and be there tomorrow mid-day if I set the cruise and do interstate. By the same token, I'll leave my home on a nice day and do 400 miles without an inch of interstate. I'll enjoy both rides for different reasons.

I've done 1000 mile days a few times on bikes just headed home. I'd plan to ride 'til I was ready to stop, but the closer I got to home the less I wanted to stop. I live near Little Rock and will not overnight in Memphis. :) I've got a buddy who was really into the IBA, and he urged me to keep records and get the certificate or patch or whatever, and to me it just wasn't worth the trouble. To him it was an achievement. Different strokes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes I will take the service road right next to interstate (the old hi way), just to kick back, slower down & get away from traffic for a while. Ive noticed after about 7 or 8 days of cheap motels, sleeping on the ground & not the healthiest eating, the interstate 80 to 90 mph back home looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Most of the time I don't mind interstates, and I've actually ridden on some beautiful interstates that I've enjoyed. I don't like riding thru major cities during rush hour like Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, Boston, St Louis etc. I also don't like riding through endless small towns with stops every block.

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
124 Posts
Most of the time I don't mind interstates, and I've actually ridden on some beautiful interstates that I've enjoyed. I don't like riding thru major cities during rush hour like Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, Boston, St Louis etc. I also don't like riding through endless small towns with stops every block.
Agreed. If I gotta slow down to 25 mph for a dick town every half hour I'm looking for a route to an interstate.
Unless of course those dick towns are connected by some epic curves.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts