FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!

How are you going to burn those tires off?

• Saddle up and hit the highway! Let's get a few of those IBA certificates!

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Gas up and load the saddlebags I'm/we are going to see the sights we always wanted to see!

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • New Pirelli's? Time to burn off some chicken strips on the curviest of curves this place has!

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Free 97 and a week off? Track week!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • GPS check. SPOT check. Map's check. Full tank in the ADV bike we're going where no bike has gone!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Always wanted to perfect my whip and that triple needs to be sent! MX Time!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always wanted to take that vintage banger on a long ride. Pack up the wrenches!

• Lemme get my tent, National Parks on the bike here we come!

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Does the credit card cover bail as a "Road Related Expense" because "Unsafe Operation"?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had 5 days off, no responsibilities (job, family, bills, wife/husband/kids ((you could choose to bring them if you wanted)), plenty of prior planning, a credit card that could only be used for gas, repairs, tires or road related expenses (not a new bike or plane fairs etc.) and you had to take any bike in your garage on a "motorcycle trip" what kind of riding adventure are you going on?

·
Premium Member
2016 FJR1300AK
159 Posts
I have that option anytime, but rarely go ride my bikes.
NEVER understood the whole "let's pay money to some random place to get a made up certificate" thing. I don't need anybody's approval or "atta boy" because I rode XXX miles in XXX hours. But, people pay into that stuff....
I just like to ride when I want for no reason at all.
Retired life..... back to coffee.

Reactions: Carbide

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have that option anytime, but rarely go ride my bikes.
NEVER understood the whole "let's pay money to some random place to get a made up certificate" thing. I don't need anybody's approval or "atta boy" because I rode XXX miles in XXX hours. But, people pay into that stuff....
I just like to ride when I want for no reason at all.
Retired life..... back to coffee.
Good thing I put 8 completely different choices on the poll for people to pick! Maybe I should have added a 9th... "Criticizing peoples hobbies on the internet and rarely riding."

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Gotta remember that everybody is entitled to their opinion. And not every post has to be rainbows.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,810 Posts
I do multi-day trips mostly.... pick an area you want to go and spend a few days there. I'm retarred so I can do that.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I do multi-day trips mostly.... pick an area you want to go and spend a few days there. I'm retarred so I can do that.
I'm jealous. I get my 1 week trip in spring and my 3 day trip in the fall. I'm sure if I didn't have a 6 year old I wanted to spend so much time with that I'd easily double that. It pays to have a great wife.

Reactions: Sp00ks

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
52 Posts
I usually do 2-3, 3 day trips a year and many day trips. I would hit national parks. One of my favorite things to do is to strap a small fishing rod to the bike and grab a hand full of small spinners and hit some trout streams as I ride along.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have 5 more states to hit to complete the lower 48 of states I've ridden in. 4 of them are on the east coast, so I guess with 5 days off I'd hit the east coast and pick up those 4 ( RI, Conn, New Jersey and Delaware)

Another 5 day trip would get that last state. (ND)

Im retired, so it yet could happen when this pandemic is behind us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I............ Have..A.......Dream. Here it is. A figure 8 across the U.S. Start here in Mn. head to south west deserts, up the Cal. coast to Or. angle back to Mn. Take a break for some good sleeping & have the ole lady feed me for a few days. Then finish the 2nd half of the figure 8 going to east coast. Not to sure if or when it will happen. But............ I ...........Have.......A...........Dream

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
125 Posts
Number 2 for me.
I also couldn't care less about an award for my riding.
I have memories of my 400,000 miles. That's all I care about.
I like to stop when I like without the stress of making sure I can get my next gas receipt to prove my worth. If I cover 1,000 miles in a day...Great.

My opinion. 😄
It is the internet after all...

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,810 Posts
Agree with that, and you'll rarely see my bike on an interstate, no IBA stuff for me. Too much to see, the good stuff is on the lesser travelled twisty roads.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,565 Posts
Agree with that, and you'll rarely see my bike on an interstate, no IBA stuff for me. Too much to see, the good stuff is on the lesser travelled twisty roads.
I like the interstates, good for when you only have 3-4 days. You can haul fast out to the interesting stuff at 80-90mph and then get to spend some time at your destination.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Except when your dealing with semi trucks with massive side winds
See that is what make's these so fun is the difference in peoples styles of riding.... I love the fight against the semi's, the congested traffic (not the slow kind the fast kind doing 85), for me the ride is the destination and the fight is the "fun" part. I love the (American) interstate and all the idiots make it more fun. Albeit I just like to hang the certificates on the wall but the idea of being "nervous" about the ride and if-you-are-going-to-make-it is the real prize for me. If I want a nice relaxing day just enjoying a motorcycle I would rent a KTM and beat the hell out of it on some dirt/mud enduro. We all like different aspects of the skill and we all have different "addictions" that keep us here.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts