FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
I just can't get over these low mile bikes you guys find.
What's wrong with these people that only ride a sport touring bike a few hundred or maybe a few thousand miles a year? 馃槅

Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
That's why I love buying used bikes, lol.......

About the CCT change, when removing the right timing cover (to add your zip tie), if you remove all the screws and tap on the cover with a rubber or plastic hammer, you should break the bond of the gasket... it's a decent gasket, 99% chance you can salvage it. You can put a smear of RTV on any questionable spots, but should indeed put a smear over the ignition pickup grommet to prevent weepage. Remember, there is no oil pressure behind this cover, just splash off the chain.

If the dowel pin comes out of the cam chain guide, be sure to put it back in (you can pry up on the guide at the bottom). After you get it back in place, zip tie around both front and rear guides to hold the chain tight. For a CCT change you do this above the dowel pin.

To get the outboard bolt out of the CCT, go in from the bottom with a sawed/broken off 8mm box end wrench about 2.5-3" long. With the CCT bolts out, slot them with a Dremel or hacksaw so you can use a screwdriver to reinstall them.

Registered
2006 FJR1300
I can't speak for others, but the story behind mine was that the first owner had back problems and was not able to ride it as much as he hoped. He loved the bike and added a bunch of farkles to it, rode it once in a while but for only short outings. After many years he realized that he can't ride any more and sold the bike.

It is a sad story, but I am happy to ride the bike as much as I can. That is what it was meant for.

Registered
2006 FJR1300
@RaYzerman , you touched on some very good points that make swapping out the CCT easier. I just did mine today, and the hardest part of the job was taking out the lower, outer bolt that is located next to the frame. The small 8mm wrench worked great until the bolt was almost completely out. Then, the space next to the bolt head and frame became too small to slide the thin box wrench onto the bolt鈥檚 head. I have big hands so twisting the bolt with my fingers was not working either, even when I moved the CCT to relieve the spring pressure from the bolt. Finally I ended up sliding a thin screwdriver through the frame hole and looking up from the bottom I was able to wedge the head of the screwdriver between the CCT body and the bolt head, twisting it gently and repeatedly to nudge the head of the bolt for the last 1 - 1.5 turns. Cutting slots into the bolt heads for reassembly worked great, easy 5 minute job to install the new CCT. Now, why didn鈥檛 Yamaha do that to begin with? Beats me. Thanks for the great info!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts