FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am a new member to the forum with the recent acquisition of a 07 FJR. I basically have taken over my fathers bike which he bought brand new in 2007. The bike only has 7,500 original miles and was garaged the entire time. The bike is in mint condition and was ridden several times a year. Aside from several batteries, tire changes and yearly oil changes, the bike has not been serviced at all. There has been no mechanical issues and the bike runs good as far as I can tell except for what appears to be a spongy front brake feel. Sorry for the long post but I am looking for opinions on what if anything should be serviced or replaced just because of the long time frame. I look forward to your comments and thank everyone in advance!

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,152 Posts
Ozman,

Welcome to the campfire! Pull up a seat, and be among friends.

You definitely got the best color that Yamaha has used on the FJRs. Only the 2007s got that color.

There are a few things that will need attention on your bike. Speedbleeders.com can make the brake bleeding job into a breeze, and they will know what you need there. They also have a fluid catch bag that helps a lot, too. May as well bleed the rear brakes, too. Remove all the brake fluid (using paper towels) from the brake reservoirs to start, and use only fresh brake fluid, not from any old open cans.

You will want to check the Cam Chain Tensioner for the green dot. Don't ride or run the bike with an old-style CCT; it could wreck your engine in a heartbeat.

We will have good help here for you, to keep you and the bike happy. The FJRs can run 200,000 miles with very little maintenance, so yeah, it's a keeper.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300A
53 Posts
Enjoy that wonderful ride! I did the speed bleeders @red mentioned above and parts are on the way for the CCT.

Get that garage queen out on the road :p

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Howdy. Welcome to the forum. Congratulations. I guess inheriting, well, sort of, an almost new, well, sort of, FJR is a great way to acquire one.

When you bleed the brakes, you should also make sure to cycle the ABS pump. The passages inside the pump have been known to clog.

Enjoy that wonderful ride! I did the speed bleeders . . .
All four (three for the calipers and one for the clutch)?

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
Howdy. Welcome to the forum. Congratulations. I guess inheriting, well, sort of, an almost new, well, sort of, FJR is a great way to acquire one.

All four (three for the calipers and one for the clutch)?
There are 5. 4 for the calipers. Right front has 2

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
What they said..... it's just time, and not a lot of expense.... CCT for sure, spiders, brake and clutch flush/bleed...... top of the list. IF you need help with something, ask away.

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
107 Posts
Welcome to the forum @ozman ! Enjoy your new ride! Last year I purchased an '06 with also 7500 miles on it too. I changed all fluids, and checked maintenance items. I also removed some farkles I did not want and added others that are more useful to me.

BTW, you do have the fastest color, I agree with others on that. But, I own the coolest bluest one! :ROFLMAO:

Ride safe, and enjoy good company on this forum!

RiderJoe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Definitely a good find. I have no history on mine and I can tell that I am a third owner =( with 9000 miles on odometer. It’s still low so I am hoping no major abuses.

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300A
53 Posts
Definitely a good find. I have no history on mine and I can tell that I am a third owner =( with 9000 miles on odometer. It’s still low so I am hoping no major abuses.
I'm third owner and got mine with 52K on it and not too many details on history. I think your safe at 9K :LOL:

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
I to am riding a 2007fjr which I bought this past July I dont know if the cct was changed so how to I go about checking to see if it has been upgraded now that my bike is parked for the winter
Lift tank, pry up insulation pad on the right side and look at the CCT from the top ....... see the oval gray plastic plug on the right side frame? Dead in front of it. If no dot on the top flange of the CCT, replace it.
Automotive tire Gas Household hardware Nickel Font

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,152 Posts
Thx for the feedback RaYzerman your directions are very clear hopefully I see a green dot now how easy is it to replace with an updated one I will look on Amazon
Rooster,

You can find process write-ups on doing the CCT job on most of the FJR forums (fora?). Typically we will know things now that are not in the aging shop manual. Parts will be a little north of US$100 and you may want to replace the CCT gasket and/or the cover gasket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts