FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Had a nice ride yesterday up into south central Virginia ending up in Roanoke for lunch. Checked out a couple different ways to get through Greensboro fairly easily without using the interstates. And found some really nice 3/4 roads to ride and explore next time. In all about 350 miles of mixed city, hwy and country roads. Some impressions:

• if Ivan's flash weren't so much I might go for it. Other than the 3rd mode and the cruise limit what's to be gained? My '07 with Ivan's flash runs in between the T & S modes on the '13.
  • T mode is sufficient for much of my riding. S mode can be dangerous and for me should be used sparingly. I'm not a canyon carver and the mountain roads I ride don't require that much oomph in the throttle.
  • The layout of the handlebars leaves much to be desired. I have a Heli pullback top plate and 1" risers on the '07, the '13 has a Heli bridge. Too low for me, too much weight on the wrists & elbows making my hands go numb, too far to reach. Something's gotta change there.
  • The touring screen is lacking for me. Too much wind pushing my head back all the time causing a neck muscle tension headache.
  • I rode with a Yamaha Comfort seat. With the different bars configuration it sucked. Gonna try my Sargent. The bike came with a Russell, guess I'll try that even though past experience has shown that for me it's the worst seat ever made.
  • What's with the damn center stand arm being so close to the footpeg? Several times I could not move my left foot bc my heel was stuck on it.
  • Reports of easier center stand operation are definitely true. Significant improvement over the Gen2.
  • I need to install peg lowerers. I've already removed mine from the '07.
  • Have I mentioned the bike has cruise control? ;) Found myself several times missing my trusty BrakeAway throttle lock. Seriously considering installing it.
  • eta: the hwy pegs on the engine guard. Gotta find a different spot. I'm not bowlegged enough to reach them!
  • eta: gotta figure out something for helmet locks, I missed mine when I need it.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,272 Posts
I would shim your windshield motor bracket so it gets more air underneath, you can experiment with 1/4" and 1/8" washers to even tilt it back... counterintuitive, but seriously give it a shot.
Same with the Helibar plate, you are plenty rearward..... move them all the way forward, alter your riding position to lean slightly more forward, back straighter and elbows not locked. Counterintuitive, but again, give it a shot. The Russell will be a tad taller, so that will come into play as well.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Russ
I hang my heels on the highway pegs, one side at a time or both , but only a few minutes to get a position change.
Lower pegs drag too much for me but are comfortable.

If you use S mode constantly, your wrist will recalibrate. My arthritic right wrist will go many more miles in S mode than T mode before acting up. (Cruise is a good thing).

Ivan’s flash will enable cruise in any gear at any speed if you check that box.
I have not used S mode since flash and have gotten used to 3rd mode.
I like it, always exactly what you expect (no waiting on slingshot effect of T , or jumpiness of S).
S gives good response in 3-4K rpm range if shifting on easy ride , but if throttling harder the 4-5K rpm dead spot is much more noticeable till 5 K and we’re off...
3rd mode seems to make the 4-5k window more what you would expect. Not eliminated , but better, smoother.

I have the German bar riser/pullback. What worked for me was pulling bars all the way back, then pivoting bars forward until wrists lined up straight with arms (no wrist angle).

I could never get happy with touring screen unless it was all the way up...

My best go to shield is stock shield with MRA type adjustable deflector
Attached to it.

After several shields, this is best setup for wind noise /buffeting, for me, but I still switch to a winter screen when it’s cold and rainy in spring and or fall up here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: BlueRider

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would shim your windshield motor bracket so it gets more air underneath, you can experiment with 1/4" and 1/8" washers to even tilt it back... counterintuitive, but seriously give it a shot.
I wonder if someone did that to mine. I thought it was odd that in the lowered position it does not seem to line up flush with the matching protrusions on the front fairing - seems like it is tipped back

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Same with the Helibar plate, you are plenty rearward..... move them all the way forward, alter your riding position to lean slightly more forward, back straighter and elbows not locked. Counterintuitive, but again, give it a shot. The Russell will be a tad taller, so that will come into play as well.
Maybe with your gorilla arms but my jewels are already jammed into the tank just so I can reach the bars. Any farther fwd and I'll be laying even more on the tank. Literally, I simply can't reach them. For ME, with a surgical lower back repair and a hip replaced, more fwd lean is out of the question. I need the bars to come to me not for me to go to them.

Then, bc I need to sit up straighter, the windshield is woefully inadequate.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,272 Posts
Understood, Russ. Then try the opposite... bars rotated fully back, but now you're changing wrist angle in (perhaps?) the wrong direction. You'll just have to experiment.
We're limited in windshield choices now that CeeBailey is out of the picture, I'm not a Calsci fan, maybe there's a V-Stream in your future? But try some shimming first...

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
389 Posts
You may want to look into Rifle. Been running that for years. At first thought I would need to swap back to stock for the warmer weather but due to the angle get plenty of air flow underneath so I found it unnecessary to change. Of course YMMV. 😉

·
Registered
163 Posts
Had a nice ride yesterday up into south central Virginia ending up in Roanoke for lunch. Checked out a couple different ways to get through Greensboro fairly easily without using the interstates. And found some really nice 3/4 roads to ride and explore next time. In all about 350 miles of mixed city, hwy and country roads. Some impressions:

• if Ivan's flash weren't so much I might go for it. Other than the 3rd mode and the cruise limit what's to be gained? My '07 with Ivan's flash runs in between the T & S modes on the '13.
  • T mode is sufficient for much of my riding. S mode can be dangerous and for me should be used sparingly. I'm not a canyon carver and the mountain roads I ride don't require that much oomph in the throttle.
  • The layout of the handlebars leaves much to be desired. I have a Heli pullback top plate and 1" risers on the '07, the '13 has a Heli bridge. Too low for me, too much weight on the wrists & elbows making my hands go numb, too far to reach. Something's gotta change there.
  • The touring screen is lacking for me. Too much wind pushing my head back all the time causing a neck muscle tension headache.
  • I rode with a Yamaha Comfort seat. With the different bars configuration it sucked. Gonna try my Sargent. The bike came with a Russell, guess I'll try that even though past experience has shown that for me it's the worst seat ever made.
  • What's with the damn center stand arm being so close to the footpeg? Several times I could not move my left foot bc my heel was stuck on it.
  • Reports of easier center stand operation are definitely true. Significant improvement over the Gen2.
  • I need to install peg lowerers. I've already removed mine from the '07.
  • Have I mentioned the bike has cruise control? ;) Found myself several times missing my trusty BrakeAway throttle lock. Seriously considering installing it.
  • eta: the hwy pegs on the engine guard. Gotta find a different spot. I'm not bowlegged enough to reach them!
  • eta: gotta figure out something for helmet locks, I missed mine when I need it.
Man, I need to get up that way and ride some of those areas one day. I usually get stuck down in the Smokies for a week with my riding crew not wanting to venture too far north from there.
Now, getting to your bike assessment. All those things you mention is why I am completely satisfied with my '04, except for the heat thing on the right side that I have been revisiting this spring, hopefully have a decent cure for that soonly.
I hate all Yammy or aftermarket screens. I went through the whole gamut of finding what works for me with my seat, bars, and screen positions until I got it perfected with my own custom wind screen. And, it is perfect, winter, spring, and fall!! So I don't want to give it up to start all over with another bike that is so close to the same as what I have, except costs way more to own for the 3, week long, rides I do every year. < I might grow up one day< :ROFLMAO: The comment about the rifle pieces and what Ray mentioned about the shimming may get your windscreen issue smoothed out. I hate wind buffeting and front head pressure pinpointed on my forehead. I like the full wind blast across my shoulders, it takes a lot of pressure off my wrists and feels perfect. The rifle tuning wedge worked for me on that aspect of it, not sure how it works on the '13.
I met a guy near me with a '13 last year. We rode once, he was in a hurry to get back to go to work that afternoon so I didn't get a chance to ride his bike like was the plan, actually the whole reason we met. I didn't realize he was selling the bike, as he never mentioned it until a month later. He sold it before we got to ride again so I never got a chance to ride his '13 to see what needed to be addressed to get it to where I liked it as much as mine. Hope you get it set up where you want it. This thread has my interest for sure, and I hope you don't mind me poking my nose in here ever so often.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Nope, don't mind a bit. I got spoiled I guess having so many choices back when I bought the '07 and was able to set it up just like I want. I can live for now with the crappy wid screen focusing instead on seating and handlebars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You may want to look into Rifle. Been running that for years. At first thought I would need to swap back to stock for the warmer weather but due to the angle get plenty of air flow underneath so I found it unnecessary to change. Of course YMMV. 😉
I loved the Rifle screen on my Gen I and Gen II FJRs. But they don't make one for the Gen III+, or 2013 and later. I have a medium V-Stream on my '17, and the Yamaha FJR1300 Touring screen on my '13 and '14. I prefer the Yamaha screen. But it won't get Russ his bubble that he wants. Maybe the largest V-Stream.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
389 Posts
I loved the Rifle screen on my Gen I and Gen II FJRs. But they don't make one for the Gen III+, or 2013 and later. I have a medium V-Stream on my '17, and the Yamaha FJR1300 Touring screen on my '13 and '14. I prefer the Yamaha screen. But it won't get Russ his bubble that he wants. Maybe the largest V-Stream.
Wow shows how out of touch I've been lately. I didn't realize they stopped making them for Gen III on but they say they would make custom sizes wonder if they would make custom applications? Doesn't make sense they would forego a whole market segment. 🙄

·
Registered
569 Posts
Lowered riding pegs makes that boot interference with the centerstand lever worse for me. It also changes where I put my foot/feet down at stops. Seems the peg is always in the way now. Im about ready to change back and just use the lowered setup for long trips.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Congratulations Russ!!!
Enjoy the new ride!!!
Daniel

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Lowered riding pegs makes that boot interference with the centerstand lever worse for me. It also changes where I put my foot/feet down at stops. Seems the peg is always in the way now. Im about ready to change back and just use the lowered setup for long trips.
Meeting a guy an hr or so down the road tomorrow. I'll give them a go and see. That center stand arm is really annoying.

Congratulations Russ!!!
Enjoy the new ride!!!
Daniel
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Took a little ride yeaterday, about 60 miles each way, after swapping my Sargent set for the Yammy Comfort. Much better with less pressure on my wrist. Definitely gonna have to install the peg lowerers now.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Ray, I read somewhere that mother Yamaha felt the rider skills just weren’t up to the needed levels to handle all the power of the fastest color red ! 😜 So you got the candy cow pie instead.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts