Had a nice ride yesterday up into south central Virginia ending up in Roanoke for lunch. Checked out a couple different ways to get through Greensboro fairly easily without using the interstates. And found some really nice 3/4 roads to ride and explore next time. In all about 350 miles of mixed city, hwy and country roads. Some impressions:
- if Ivan's flash weren't so much I might go for it. Other than the 3rd mode and the cruise limit what's to be gained? My '07 with Ivan's flash runs in between the T & S modes on the '13.
- T mode is sufficient for much of my riding. S mode can be dangerous and for me should be used sparingly. I'm not a canyon carver and the mountain roads I ride don't require that much oomph in the throttle.
- The layout of the handlebars leaves much to be desired. I have a Heli pullback top plate and 1" risers on the '07, the '13 has a Heli bridge. Too low for me, too much weight on the wrists & elbows making my hands go numb, too far to reach. Something's gotta change there.
- The touring screen is lacking for me. Too much wind pushing my head back all the time causing a neck muscle tension headache.
- I rode with a Yamaha Comfort seat. With the different bars configuration it sucked. Gonna try my Sargent. The bike came with a Russell, guess I'll try that even though past experience has shown that for me it's the worst seat ever made.
- What's with the damn center stand arm being so close to the footpeg? Several times I could not move my left foot bc my heel was stuck on it.
- Reports of easier center stand operation are definitely true. Significant improvement over the Gen2.
- I need to install peg lowerers. I've already removed mine from the '07.
- Have I mentioned the bike has cruise control? Found myself several times missing my trusty BrakeAway throttle lock. Seriously considering installing it.
- eta: the hwy pegs on the engine guard. Gotta find a different spot. I'm not bowlegged enough to reach them!
- eta: gotta figure out something for helmet locks, I missed mine when I need it.