FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,702 Posts
Again, no Gen1 rack available... All you can do is take an old Gen2/3 rack and see if it will fit. Look at the pics of the new rack, it has reinforcing brackets which MAY be adaptable to the mounting pattern. You are going to be the engineer. Pic of new rack for Gen2/3....... note, the Gen1 seats are different, may be different length of rack "handles", etc. Surgery of plastic on the side panels may be required as that is a hard mounting point...
If you beg and ask nice, I could give you some measurements of a Gen2 rack I have in my stash (I think).

You could take the easier way out and get a Gen1 Givi rack, powder coat it in bike colour if you wish or leave black.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Again, no Gen1 rack available... All you can do is take an old Gen2/3 rack and see if it will fit. Look at the pics of the new rack, it has reinforcing brackets which MAY be adaptable to the mounting pattern. You are going to be the engineer. Pic of new rack for Gen2/3....... note, the Gen1 seats are different, may be different length of rack "handles", etc. Surgery of plastic on the side panels may be required as that is a hard mounting point...
If you beg and ask nice, I could give you some measurements of a Gen2 rack I have in my stash (I think).

You could take the easier way out and get a Gen1 Givi rack, powder coat it in bike colour if you wish or leave black.

I will try to see if I can find a cheap deal on eBay for one. I know it feels like I've beaten a dead horse, and I do apologize for this, one I have memory issues, and two I am trying to learn all I can and make better where I can, and sadly when time rolls by, sometimes even a few minutes I forget. Trust me, it got so bad at one point about 13 years ago I just said to **** with it, but then my daughter wouldn't of had a life.

I would like to take you offer up for a couple of pics with a measuring tape. I did jump on google images all morning long and finally figured out that givi includes a metal plate to stiffen their mounts up. So I will be looking more closely at my bikes set up to see what I might can do there. I have a buddy that's a few houses down that has his own machine shop and I can't even get him to make me a set of bar risers that straighten the bars out more. He is alllll about the money.

As always man
MANY THANKS. This forum and its people owe you and several others for your selfless work and help you keep giving us!!!

David

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Also, it was collecting several pics tonight and super imposing them between gen1 and gen 2 that I was able to see the difference in the exhaust. I am pretty positive trying to get the gen 2 aftermarket muffs to work will be a major pita without paying someone to do some tig welding

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I got lucky and purchased a good used set of Lenker handle bar risers. Totally stoked to pick these up as they allow me to rotate the handle bars to a riding position more suitable to ease the pain in my shoulders. Not looking to go completely straight across but try a couple degrees more and see how they feel. May see if it is possible to combine them and the Heli risers together. Doubt it, but will know more once everything is off.

Should be getting the front forks rebuilt soon, and new tires on as well. Then time to start putting some miles on it and feel safe

Attachments

61 - 64 of 64 Posts