FJR Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,
I'm a new FJR owner, rode a 2005 Boulevard for the last 8 years and decided it was time to upgrade to a sport/touring motorcycle. I found a 2007 FJR that I could pay on the spot for and away I went. I put over 1,200 miles on it in a week... I like it a lot.

I'm looking for info on windshields and if I need/want a riser; I'm 6 ft, 32 in inseam. What kind of riding gear is best? I used to just wear my duty uniform on the bike, now I want to wear safer gear. There is a Cycle Gear shop near me and I have purchased a jacket and new helmet.

Thanks in advance, I've been lurking in this forum for the last few weeks. Thanks to all who provide the info.

CB

·
Registered
137 Posts
Charles, welcome to the fold. I'm relatively new here, but there are antiques that have and are willing to share a lot of knowledge about the FJRs, most of which applies through the years and series.

I am about the same size as yourself and my bike, a '13, came with a Vstream windshield, apparently a touring model, and a bar riser. Both are very comfortable. Once I got used to the not-so-upright posture as my GSA, I have been comfortable with the Feejer for several hundred miles at a time.

Again, welcome, and if you are anyway handy with tools and inclined to use them, these guys can save you a bunch of time and money in working on your own bike.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome aboard and had the same VStream on mine and tried the FJR touring screen and just kept it on there and I am 6'2" and I get air to the top of helmet which is ok since it let air in the vents.

Good luck with the bike as you made a good choice! From just up the road near Chattanooga. What part of SC are you in. I go over to see friends in Lancaster and Myrtle Beach at times.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Howdy Charles! Welcome aboard!

I'm a once veteran rider, who took a 25 year hiatus from riding to focus on my career and family (and lower the risk of leaving young orphans, lol, let's be honest).

When I was young and dumb, I frequently rode with shorts, and a tank top. Pretty dumb, eh? But at least I always wore a helmet, and avoided flip-flops.

Now I won't get on the bike without ATGATT.

I have a single pair of leather Joe Rocket pants that fit well (pickup up used for $40), but usually don't feel like wearing them, so it's usually denim rider jeans - I sprung for a couple of pairs of the ones with Kevlar lining and that have pockets in the knees for CE rated armor, that I always have in place.

Also always wear over the ankle hiking boots at a minimum, and now have a couple of rider specific boots that I usually wear.

On top, either a rider specific leather, or heavy canvas type jacket, with CE rated (level 2) armor in the elbows, shoulders, and back. Also won't ride without rider specific leather gloves.

MOST of my gear I picked up used off eBay or Craigslist, with just a couple of pieces buying on sale at CycleGear (love the store, the staff in my local store is really a great bunch of guys), they also offer a veterans discount on any item NOT on sale, 20 percent IIRC.

Helmet? for me full face only, and used to wear only SNELL rated helmets in the 80's and 90's, but now I also wear anything full face and ECE 2205 rated.

Here's a fun thread with lots of forum members helmet pics:
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/15-general-chat/153173-show-off-those-helmets.html

Reactions: Charles Blake

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm looking for info on windshields and if I need/want a riser; I'm 6 ft, 32 in inseam. What kind of riding gear is best?

Windshield couldn't tell you!
Gear that's a fun one!
I - me - 6'3" 34" inseam with big shoulders and chest (was a heavy weight lifter)
Cycle gear bit me once and I still go back. I have a place here in Colorado that I Love!
www.performancecycle.com
They helped find my wife a lid for 2.5 hours (xxxs Icon carbon fiber) I am on the other side (XXXL)
Craigslist, facebook, fleamarket. I stripped to my skivvies to try on a pair of dragon jeans at the flea market!
I have no shame!

in short!!! Find what you can without breaking the bank till you are ready to take out a small loan for riding gear!

Welcome to the story boards!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome from the Big Apple. You came to the right place. Great machine and great people here to answer all your questions. Enjoy! :grin2:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome from east TN (Dayton). How much you want to spend on riding gear? You can spend a little or a lot.

I bought a used Aerostich about 15 years ago and still use it. I have not shopped jackets, etc for many years. For hot weather I have a Tourmaster mesh jacket.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

I started riding again in 2014 after a 15 year layoff because I was working overseas in the Middle East. Had I been here, riding in the US, I would have spent the money and bought a 'Stich. Over that period, that would have been about $60 a year. As it is, I live in north Texas where a 100F day is not unusual. At around 85F, it is too hot for my German leathers. I compromise safety a little with a two piece Tourmaster mesh suit upgraded with 3DO armor. I am comfortable at 45F and good to about 40F with a Frogg Togg rainsuit for an overgarmet.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Hey John, betcha your wishin for one of those 100f days now, yeah ?😜

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
I think we sent the southerners the polar vortex to remind them not to tease us too much about being able to ride in our "winter". That'll learn 'em!
Meanwhile, no way I'd ride in 100F either.... done that enough to know it's not for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think we sent the southerners the polar vortex to remind them not to tease us too much about being able to ride in our "winter". That'll learn 'em!
Meanwhile, no way I'd ride in 100F either.... done that enough to know it's not for me.
Yeah, when we moved to Texas from Indiana I thought I would ride year-round. Nope, too darned hot and I actually rode less. Rode more the first 6 months after moving to TN than I did in 7 years in TX.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Y'all are wusses, complaining about 100F temps (a not unusually hot day in Texas). One summer when I crossed Utah, the FJR indicated an air temp of 117F, a little warmish. It wasn't a whole lot of fun, but it wasn't that bad either. I wore an Under-Armor, long sleeved T-shirt under Tourmaster mesh. Stopped about once an hour and wetted down. I also have an evaporative vest that I have mixed thoughts about.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Think I rode through every neighborhood in El Paso trying to get around an accident on the interstate that had the highway closed for hours. As for gear buy quality not style. Tourmaster is good stuff at a reasonable price as is some of the gear Cycle Gear sells. If you can find yourself used Aerostich it’s money well spent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to look at the Yamaha touring screen, glad to read you like it.
I'm in Columbia, SC. If I'm on your way through, let me know!

Charles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the recommendations, where in N Texas are you? I've lived all over central/north TX: Irving, Euless, Arlington, Ennis, Carrollton, Denton...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have bought a few items at Cycle Shop lately; a touring jacket, pants, gloves and new helmet. They know my name... what kind of boots do you recommend?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...and that's why I don't want to move back to TX - the weather. I love their politics, taxes and people but not the weather. TN is beautiful, I really like SC too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have bought a lot at Cycle Gear in Columbia. They are a great bunch of guys. I had not thought of looking on eBay and Craigslist, thanks for the tip.
I do own a full face helmet for the first time in my life and I'm wearing riding pants, better jacket (with armor). I'm looking for riding boots, will hit eBay next.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Charles -

Sturdy hiking boots, preferable leather, that go over the ankle and offer good support work well, and offer lots of foot/ankle protection - my old North Face leather boots get worn often.

Also have picked up some cycle specific boots - two pairs on sale at CycleGear, and one on eBay, and really like them all. Just make sure whatever you wear has very good traction on the sole, so as to help avoid the dreaded low speed "we got an FJR down, we got an FJR down!"

https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/...MI2Yagh7T87gIVAwytBh0PgA5eEAQYAyABEgJtAPD_BwE

Picked these up off the clearance rack at CycleGear for $90, plus tax! Really like them, excellent sole traction, quick to get on and off - just a Velcro and a QR buckle, but definitely feel secure. They are my favorites and the first ones I usually grab, although if expecting a LOT of hiking or walking I will go with my hiking boots.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HLCFFP/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B078HLCFFP&pd_rd_w=kAvpR&pf_rd_p=4269e1a0-a218-4fbd-9748-1cd337d2f2a5&pd_rd_wg=nlYVf&pf_rd_r=FYRH8G7E8AZB52ZBN4B2&pd_rd_r=621d6f58-6944-4b21-af76-d4f73986be51&smid=AUNMX34AEN231&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRDJETkkzWk5MT0tFJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTg0NDU2Mkg3MEg3TTdJUUhVUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDAyNDE3MU4zWkdSSFZZN1dGQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Picked these up also at CycleGear - typical Alpine Stars high quality - was $179 plus 15% veterans discount. A bit pricy but they are perforated leather and really do breathe well - wore them once on a cool day and my feet were freezing, lol - will probably be summer shoes. Also quick to put on with the BOA laces and velcro, and ample protection given the light weight.

Lastly, what my son likes to call my "Captain Kirk boots". An older pair of SIDI leather touring type boots, basically brand new, snagged off of eBay for just under $100 with tax and delivery. Much better than tennis shoes, and comfortable, but probably not the same level of ankle and foot protection as the two pairs above, just based on how they look and feel.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts