FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
572 Posts
You have a link for those? I see Angel ST pair with a 160 rear for $204. Angel GT front and rear are regular prices on Amazon from what I see.
Sorry I read someone mention "GT's" earlier and my fingers just went in... I edited. From everything I have read if quite a few forums the GT's are only marginally longer lasting and on the rear tire. Considering I don't ride track and run Darkside I went with the ST. Even if you are going to shell out the extra $120 for the GT's it's WAY cheaper then what OP was quoted.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah, only thing I see close is these Angel ST for $214 that is proper size for a FJR1300
Yeah I just threw it together they are all $200-220

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts
Sorry I read someone mention "GT's" earlier and my fingers just went in... I edited. From everything I have read if quite a few forums the GT's are only marginally longer lasting and on the rear tire. Considering I don't ride track and run Darkside I went with the ST. Even if you are going to shell out the extra $120 for the GT's it's WAY cheaper then what OP was quoted.
The ST is a different tire. The Angel GT has two versions. The regular Angel GT, and the Angel GT "A Spec" which is the version for heavier bikes. It's confusing because Michelin uses the "GT" as the designation for heavier loads.

Also, no question the quote the OP received is ridiculous but not necessarily on the tires. The PR6 is way more expensive than just about any comparable tire no matter where you're purchasing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just now priced 6GTs, and frankly the local shop actually beats their pricing! way to go! local guy ( would prefer anyways) but he is cheaper! heck I may just ask for a safety inspection and pay for his time!
Performance cycle of colorado does not list front and rear 6gt. No biggie, I am going with the local shop!
Woohoo! will see how he does but I may have found a shop to go to :)

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
Any thoughts on the Pirelli Angel ST's for performance and longevity?
I used one set (maybe two?) some years ago on my Bandit, and I recall them wearing out quickly... dim memory, though!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Any thoughts on the Pirelli Angel ST's for performance and longevity?
I used one set (maybe two?) some years ago on my Bandit, and I recall them wearing out quickly... dim memory, though!
By Tuesday of next week my brand new front should have easily over 1k on them I can report back. Waiting till about 500 to start to push it.

Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy: If you are pushing a tire harder after wearing it in and going further and further into the lean angle aren't you technically just pushing it further and further onto new tire? Always wondered how that works. Is it like sharpening a knife where you are building out the wear line?

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Thats a lot of thinking. I typically just wash them off with a blue scrub sponge so that there isn't any soap left on then then pull out of the garage and just ride on them ;)

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I bought a fresh pair of Shinko Raven 009's
I thought I'd save a couple bucks, and did the same thing last year. I mounted them near the end of riding season.
Ten minutes ago, I ordered a set of oem Stones, that I found worked very well for me.
I've used shinko tires on my busas and one of my bandits and they were ok.
On the fjr, I feel EVERYTHING. Running over a dime is noticeable.
I'm about 3,000kms in, I hate them, and I can't wait to light up my rear...burn it off in a glorious smoke show, and maybe toss the front into a fire, as soon as my new set arrives next week.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reactions: ilber

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
You guys should ditch Amazon, and add RockyMountain ATV to your tire vendor list... as well as a couple of the others noted.

Stiff Bridgestone sidewalls.... might have you feeling if you ran over a dime.......

On my second set of Angel GT's, only on the Kawi Versys V1k, only half worn yet, seem good to me... just about to mount a new set for my western adventure (~6000 miles). As well, my buddy Dean who now owns my '14 FJR, is sporting a brand new Angel GT rear. We will be able to tell you more in July when we return... we will be testing them in many conditions. I believe the Angel ST's may have a slightly softer compound, more for sportier type bikes, may not last as long.

I believe you can use up to a 15" wheel if making your own like the No-Scuff.

After I mount tires, I give them a wash with mild soap and water, then rinse, then go ride.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Tirewise, I buy most of them from RevZilla. Tend to have the best prices, good/new stock and I can use my zilla dollars from the previous purchase on the next. Just ordered a set of Dunlop RoadSports yesterday for the FZ1. Should have them early next week.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Has anyone built and used one of the tire mounts from no scuff tire tools? I had a hard time locating an 13" rim, but did and will try to make one of these at my next tire change. I changed out my FJR tires last year and figure this may make it easier. I also ordered the bar with the tips he used.

Instruction videos can be found on the site here:
I built one and it works great.

I used a 13" rim and it clears the front wheel rotors with room for the vertical piece that stops the wheel from rotating. I think any rim larger than 13" might be too big to allow the motorcycle wheel's spokes to rest on the edge of the car rim. I used 1" heater hose on the top edge of the car rim and a piece of garden hose over the vertical wheel stop but I have yet to grind all the extra threads off the centre post. I did however make a very large wingnut so spinning the nut all the way down the centre post is reasonably quick.

I also bought the No-Scuff Tire Tool. It works but takes some practice. Stiff sport-touring rear tires can be a challenge with the Tire Tool but front tires are incredibly easy to dismount/mount with the bar. For stiff rear tires, break the tire's bead, clamp the wheel on the mounting stand and use rim protectors and 3 (or 4) curved tire irons for the first bead. The bar will easily pop the second bead off the rim.

Whether you use the bar or not, the best things about the mounting stand are that it gets you up off the floor and it very securely holds you wheel.

Haynes

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive design

·
Registered
131 Posts
Local dealers want $45+ per wheel to mount and balance off the bike. Said F that and found a used nomar changer on craigslist, been changing my own tires and occasionally the neighbors since. I've been running Road Smarts at about $250 a set from Dennis Kirk.

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
... I've used shinko tires on my busas and one of my bandits and they were ok. On the fjr, I feel EVERYTHING. Running over a dime is noticeable. I'm about 3,000kms in, I hate them. ....
Ouch.
I just plunked-down for a pair of the 009's.
Oh well.,.. my plan is to burn them square as a hobby-horse on the way to the Left Coast, as they will last... Then break in with "something" else. So I should be able to provide a solid review!
Wish me luck, despite the dimes.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. My local Honda dealer will replace & balance 1 wheel for $30. If I bring both at the same time it's $50. And that's the price whether I buy the tires from him or not. It's not even worth my sweat to attempt to change my own tires.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Our local bike shop charges $65/tire to mount, new valve and balance a tire they sell you, $85/tire if you supply your own tire.

Local car tire shops typically charge $15-$25 per car tire for the same service.

I just hope the bike shop doesn't hire from the same high school drop out pool when it comes to mounting, balancing and installing. I've had too many bad car tire experiences (only 300 grams out, perfect! Now I use impact gun to cross thread and split your 19mm acorn nuts with my 22mm socket)

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
680 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. My local Honda dealer will replace & balance 1 wheel for $30. If I bring both at the same time it's $50. And that's the price whether I buy the tires from him or not. It's not even worth my sweat to attempt to change my own tires.
Same, and I give the shop a chance to sell the tires. Show them the price and they either match or says "sorry, I can't even buy them for that". But after rastlin' to R&R a set, no brainer to let them do it on their machine.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts