FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group.
I need a reality check.
My beloved 2018 FJR rolled over 9k miles ( broken shoulder, pandemic, etc) resulted in this low miles.

both of my tires starting to look shady. I commute 135 miles per day about 3-4 times a week between dirt road, canyon path, interstate and Denver traffic.
My factory rear had a flat within 200 miles of leaving dealer and I was riding 200 mile each way so I put a brand new Dunlop in 2018.

So back to my reality check need. I am not much of the tire snoob. With the riding i do and where I am I thought Michelin Road 5 GT would do me good. Called dealer, since they always taught to be a place to get the tires... so Tires; 5GT got replaced by 6GT - ok i recalled when they called Pilots and 2 compound thing was the latest and greatest. I was told 6gt are the same money.... front like $250 and rear was like $280... i don't recall paying that but inflation, covid, etc etc.
Now installation is where i sad something wrong and I am not taking up dry like that. Front tire mount is 2+ hours labor and rear was over an hour... yep close to $500 for mounting, balancing wheels and re-installing on the bike.
What the hell? I recall taking rear tire on the side of the road in like 10 minutes. I have done front tires on ABS bikes and I don't recall any issues. Have i lost touch with the reality or the dealer that I bought my bike ( actually multiple bikes), had recalls and basically most of my needs off to deep end or i need to adjust to a $1K tire change on FJR?

I called another shop and they will do tires off the bike, but i never dealt with them so i am a bit iffy. But whole situation feels to me like crap.

I am in South Denver. Dealer at question is Apex in Colorado springs, the independent shop is Tfog in Arvada.

If locals can chime in- great. If you have done recently tire change and just general labor rate, what is it?

Thanks.
Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Well. Buy yourself some tire irons, pack of balance beads and pick some less expensive tires - they are out there ;)
If you want to save a bunch of money and have someone install them - take the wheels off the bike and bring them to the dealer/tire shop.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I go to TFog for tires. I take the tires off the bike, schedule with TFog so that I can show up and he'll swap tires for me while I wait, and I go home and mount them back up. TFog is good to go.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Michelins are the most expensive, are you willing to try a different tire, e.g., Angel GT, Bridgestone T32's, etc.? Can you buy tires elsewhere and go to TFog?

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well. Buy yourself some tire irons, pack of balance beads and pick some less expensive tires - they are out there ;)
If you want to save a bunch of money and have someone install them - take the wheels off the bike and bring them to the dealer/tire shop.
i recall FJR wheels are magnesium or some alloy that easier cracked...therefore I would rather have them done. Balancing is no issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Michelins are the most expensive, are you willing to try a different tire, e.g., Angel GT, Bridgestone T32's, etc.? Can you buy tires elsewhere and go to TFog?
it seems that combo is $150 more vs what I thought i was planning to pay. Do not have issue paing premium, for good tires.
Just noticed you are an VFR ride... rode 800A for a few years, averaging 15k miles a year :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I go to TFog for tires. I take the tires off the bike, schedule with TFog so that I can show up and he'll swap tires for me while I wait, and I go home and mount them back up. TFog is good to go.
spoke with Jim. taking in a few weeks. Tires on hand. Going to drop off the bike. Tire pricing is essentially the same as shipping from revzilla, cycle...and labor that i feel is fair. only thing bad is they are book out for a few weeks, unless friday/saturday. But i will make it work.... Unfortunately seems the dealer of my choice is off to the deep end :(

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
680 Posts
i recall FJR wheels are magnesium or some alloy that easier cracked...therefore I would rather have them done. Balancing is no issue.
gonna say negative on that... Al-you-minium

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
572 Posts
Angel ST’s are $204 a set sized for FJR on Amazon right now, free shipping (with Prime or a friends Prime) and guaranteed no more then 2 years old. I just replaced the front and did 300 yesterday and it’s a wonderful tire. Although I didn’t push it super hard as it is new I can already tell I am going to like it.
Typical price in NY is $30-$40 if you have someone pull the old and mount/balance the new. I have a buddy that will do it for free but a couple spoons and a pack of weights is cheap as dirt. You can also balance a tire on two jack stands, the OEM axle and a level table. Plenty of YT videos to follow.

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
$500 is way too much for mounting & balancing... anywhere. I'm hearing stories from friends claiming there has been increasing amounts of RIP OFF going on in modern dealerships... that doesn't condemn yours.. just say, be on guard, and call around.
Mounting & (credible) Balancing isn't an easy job if you're not experienced with it, and/or don't have the tools (tire irons/balancing stand/extra weights).
Last night I bought a fresh pair of Shinko Raven 009's from Chaparral (via EBay) for $225, delivered in four days.

Reactions: ilber

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts
Angel GT’s are $204 a set sized for FJR on Amazon right now, free shipping (with Prime or a friends Prime) and guaranteed no more then 2 years old. I just replaced the front and did 300 yesterday and it’s a wonderful tire. Although I didn’t push it super hard as it is new I can already tell I am going to like it.
Typical price in NY is $30-$40 if you have someone pull the old and mount/balance the new. I have a buddy that will do it for free but a couple spoons and a pack of weights is cheap as dirt. You can also balance a tire on two jack stands, the OEM axle and a level table. Plenty of YT videos to follow.
You have a link for those? I see Angel ST pair with a 160 rear for $204. Angel GT front and rear are regular prices on Amazon from what I see.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beads man, beads ;)
never used on car or bikes...using on truck or trailers through.

I think paying to have it balanced is not an issues, heck paying for labor is ok. My issue was 2 hours to remove front wheel...i am no mechanic, but I think i can do it quicker or I am royally screwing something or missing something...

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
572 Posts
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Web page

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Magenta

Free Shipping, In your driveway by Mon-Tues and the Motion Pro stuff I have heard countless good things about from many reviewers and videos. Like I said before you don't even need the balance stand but the irons would make a great addition to anyone kit.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
You have a link for those? I see Angel ST pair with a 160 rear for $204. Angel GT front and rear are regular prices on Amazon from what I see.
Yeah, only thing I see close is these Angel ST for $214 that is proper size for a FJR1300

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
View attachment 85469
View attachment 85470

Free Shipping, In your driveway by Mon-Tues and the Motion Pro stuff I have heard countless good things about from many reviewers and videos. Like I said before you don't even need the balance stand but the irons would make a great addition to anyone kit.
Those tires you have listed are the wrong size. FJR uses a 180/55ZR17 rear

Reactions: ilber

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
View attachment 85469
View attachment 85470

thanks.
the only thing i believe 2018 is 180 not 160 tire.
I think i have all the tire spoons i would need :)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts