FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently purchased a 2010 FJR 1300 ( have been riding a Suzuki Bandit 1200 ) Love the feel of the FJR But hate THE Sargent it Came with it ..feels like I sitting on a rock ..the old owner cant believe I dont find it comfortable .

Have any of you tried a cover/ padding from Seat Concepts out of Idaho? 189 $$ Or Riches custom Seats out of Kingston WA 450$
I want firm support of coarse but want a soft top so my hips ( have some problems .. too many years of heavy squats ) and tail bone wont force me to stop .
I did ride around MT Rainier the other day ,, 230 mile trip . The inflatable motorcycle cushion I got from Amazon is a huge improvement( Similar to an Air Hawk ) , but alas not enough :(

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,170 Posts
I recommend the Yamaha Comfort seat. It's shaped like the factory seat but with smoother sides and about 3/4" of pillow top then firmer underneath. It provides great support for my fake left hip and cut on lower back. I've tried a couple others but keep coming back to it.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,268 Posts
Sargents don't work for me either... stock seat shape is terrible to me, need Russell, Laam, Mayer, and Seat Concepts works too... I wouldn't go too soft, firm and right shape is good.
You could take the cover off your Sargent and put in a layer of softer foam.... perhaps a cheap fix, not hard to do.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Sargents don't work for me either... stock seat shape is terrible to me, need Russell, Laam, Mayer, and Seat Concepts works too... I wouldn't go too soft, firm and right shape is good.
You could take the cover off your Sargent and put in a layer of softer foam.... perhaps a cheap fix, not hard to do.
Way8lifter,

You will need a (borrowed?) heavy-duty staple gun with short staples, to re-attach the seat cover over the foam. If you have a source for upholstery foam, this "repair" action can be a good approach, if money is tight.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Seth Laam. Make a ride in appointment. He will do it for you in one day.

I was visiting friends in Redding and made a ride in appointment. I took my seat by car and dropped it off saturday morning and then picked it up sat evening.

Reactions: zwartie

·
Registered
145 Posts
For a less-expensive option, you could try an AirHawk cushion or a sheepskin from Alaska Leather Co. I have used both on my Harley and GSA and they do offer relief. The AirHawk doesn't need much air...

·
Registered
365 Posts
try to find some people in your area and try out sitting on something else. post your location, maybe some one wants a trade

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I did think of this approach and may try it first .. Many years ago i sold mattresses and found that for myself I liked a soft top and firm underneath support .
If I were go to ricks he will custom fit it ti my butt and legs ......
but my try my own first

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Way8lifter,

You will need a (borrowed?) heavy-duty staple gun with short staples, to re-attach the seat cover over the foam. If you have a source for upholstery foam, this "repair" action can be a good approach, if money is tight.
I do have a electric staple gun I bought last year to fix an office chair .
I like that most of you have not have a pleasant Sargent experience and a few like the Seat concepts ,, Which in the end ( pun intended ) I may go that route :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I did a airhawk for a few yrs then came across a used Russell, I can ride all day on it no prob. The airhawk has become an expensive kitchen chair pad that Im sitting on right now. Its almost worth it tho, a lot better than anything else.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Terry Adcox

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-fjr-farkling-ii/147835-review-terry-adcox-seat-my-2014-fjr1300a.html

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,268 Posts
I'd recommend Terry Adcox to anyone. Last year while I was in the area, I visited Terry to finalize the design for my CBF1000.... I got it covered in a perforated-look vinyl, and like it a lot... less slippery than leather, and cooler it seems. It is a little on the firm side, all good, but next time I'd ask him for a softer upper foam layer. It is still a good all day long seat. In this photo is in the middle position of 3 available. I only had the rear OEM recovered in the same material.

This one is a Russell one-piece on my VFR800, which I scored used for $100. It is leather and is an excellent seat also, likely a "sport" version which they have, likely a wee bit flatter.... even Russ might like it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did a airhawk for a few yrs then came across a used Russell, I can ride all day on it no prob. The airhawk has become an expensive kitchen chair pad that Im sitting on right now. Its almost worth it tho, a lot better than anything else.
Yes I do have an actual Air hawk as well as a few other devices ..Still too hard under the air .I decided to purchase a Purple seat cushion
and may combine with memory foam ..other wise I guess seat cncepts

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,268 Posts
Yes I do have an actual Air hawk as well as a few other devices ..Still too hard under the air .I decided to purchase a Purple seat cushion
and may combine with memory foam ..other wise I guess seat cncepts
The Airhawk is a little squishy, a hard twisty rider might not appreciate it. But if you think it's hard, you have way too much air in it. Needs very little. It is meant to shape to your seat on the bottom side and shape to your butt on the top side. Won't do that if you got too much air. The concept is great except for that bit of squishiness side to side.
Foam and gel pads do not shape to your butt, they shape to the seat under you. Memory foam will shape to your butt, but it's too squishy to support you properly. You'll spend lots with different solutions until you finally get it and admit you need a custom seat, lol. I'd just skip to the end and save some bucks in the long run. Admit it, that Airhawk cost you and it didn't work, lol.

Reactions: bounce
1 - 20 of 42 Posts