FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my FJR for one year this month which is long enough to know that I'd like a different seat. I'm primarily interested in the rider's seat but will probably replace the passenger seat too once I've decided what I want.

My question to those of you who have replaced the seat(s), what did you buy and what did/do you like about the seat that you bought?

Thanks very much in advance to all who respond.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a Corbin and like it lots. I can sit on it all day with no problems, it is wider and lower than the standard seat, so I sit in it rather than on it. The only problem I had with the leather was that it was slippy, so had it recovered in vinyl to match the rear and it is not slippy any more, so go for vinyl if possible.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Laam here too. You'll find the general consensus is Russel Day Long (pricey but excellent), Laam, Sargent, Adcox, Corbin, FJR upgraded seat, Seat Concepts, etc.

Keep in mind seats are subjective. What one butt likes another butt hates. So many variables.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,911 Posts
I'm a bucket type seat guy so it's Corbin and Sargent for me. The Yamaha Comfort seat is also very nice. Russell was the worst ever for me. Never tried a Laam. Then aagin I was perfectly fine with the factory seat so ........

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Russ if you get a chance try a Laam. It's a bucket type like a Corbin but it's a bit softer and gets made for you for about half the price. He calls and asks your weight and measurements, where you like to sit, etc. I haven't sat on a Corbin in a long time, even owned 2, but they were known to be notoriously hard for a while there.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
If I had a Corbin again, I'd be taking off the cover and adding a layer of foam, the shape is already good. While you're in there, heating elements can be added, but I've had heated seats before, I wouldn't bother.... better to heat your core with a nice Warm and Safe heated jacket liner.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just to throw this out there. I’ve had my 21 for about 1,100 miles and it didn’t take long for me to want a different seat and about 100 other different things (accs) over this winter lol. Although, I’ve seen this said several times and it makes sense enough to me that I changed my plan to buy a seat, for now. Don’t know what your driving motivations are for the seat, but consider this.

Get the other ergonomics of the bike where you want them first. Example, changing to bar risers of any kind that changes your riding position, will change your seat position/ergonomics. For me I need to sit up a bit more upright to get the pressure off my wrists (getting Helibars). I expect it to also change the dynamics of the seat feel (I don’t expect it to change my mind on the seat though lol). I also will get the Yamaha touring windshield and hope it mostly solves my buffeting annoyance. I also want Highway pegs mounted on my crash bars. I am going to do those things first so that the new seat I will order when riding season comes around (so I can test it without embracing mother nature), should ensure I am trying a seat in the mostly final riding position I will be in. With the expense of a new seat and the ever ending search for that right one this made a lot of sense to me. For what it’s worth to you..

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
Sunny, I'd go seat as one of the first items.... mostly for the knee/hip angles and height. Everything else comes later to me....

Suggestion for those on a budget, for any Gen2/3, Seat Concepts has a reasonably priced kit of foam and cover, starting at $210 for front only....... I'd not recommend their "Gripper" top, but the carbon fiber vinyl. The grippy stuff is more for dirt bikes and it is grippy like coarse sandpaper. Best call them, ask them about cover options and what that Diamante is.... lead times with any seat guy are months, order now, summer is even worse.... The Seat Concepts is similarly shaped to Laam, Adcox, Corbin, even a hint of Russell. Very simply remove your old cover and foam, put the new foam and cover on...... best done when cover is heated up quite warm/hot (heat lamp or in the sun) and with a helper to stretch it snug and get it stapled on..... use a pneumatic stapler, hand ones may not be enough to fully seat the staples into the plastic pan.

I have a front seat kit here if you need pics.... my buddy ordered the grippy top, jeez I told him not to.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,911 Posts
Just to throw this out there. I’ve had my 21 for about 1,100 miles and it didn’t take long for me to want a different seat and about 100 other different things (accs) over this winter lol. Although, I’ve seen this said several times and it makes sense enough to me that I changed my plan to buy a seat, for now. Don’t know what your driving motivations are for the seat, but consider this.

Get the other ergonomics of the bike where you want them first. Example, changing to bar risers of any kind that changes your riding position, will change your seat position/ergonomics. For me I need to sit up a bit more upright to get the pressure off my wrists (getting Helibars). I expect it to also change the dynamics of the seat feel (I don’t expect it to change my mind on the seat though lol). I also will get the Yamaha touring windshield and hope it mostly solves my buffeting annoyance. I also want Highway pegs mounted on my crash bars. I am going to do those things first so that the new seat I will order when riding season comes around (so I can test it without embracing mother nature), should ensure I am trying a seat in the mostly final riding position I will be in. With the expense of a new seat and the ever ending search for that right one this made a lot of sense to me. For what it’s worth to you..
The ergos do make a difference. My '07 and '13 are set up differently and for the '07 the Yamaha Comfort is my go-to. But it sux on the '13. I use a Sargent there.

·
Premium Member
2014 FJR ES
1,561 Posts
Russell Day Long, Laam, Sergeant, Seat Concepts.... Everyone has their OWN preference. What's good for me, RDL, other like or dislike. Although they are expensive. Get a seat custom made for your height and weight and how you sit on the bike. Russell and Laam make those seats custom. Other seat manufacture's make off the self seats, which are fine and better than stock. Many like those type, and they are less expensive than custom. If you go custom, winter is the best time to order. Spring / Summer they are busy hand making the seats and you have to send them your seats so they can convert them. Off the shelf seats do not need your seats, they will send you new seats.

To each their own, it's your arse, you decide. My stock seat was converted to a Russell Day Long, and then I bought a Yamaha Comfort seat when I'm just going on short jaunts.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wasn't patient enough to wait for a Laam, so went with the immediate gratification of a Sargent. It was nice, had a level, dished-out bucket feel rather than the angled plank of the stock...but my Sargent experience -- nice, but firmer than I'd prefer -- compared to those I've read from many Laam owners suggests the Laam is the better choice in the long run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my FJR for one year this month which is long enough to know that I'd like a different seat. I'm primarily interested in the rider's seat but will probably replace the passenger seat too once I've decided what I want.

My question to those of you who have replaced the seat(s), what did you buy and what did/do you like about the seat that you bought?

Love my BMS seat - Adrian provides excellent customer service and they are FAST! I would definitely buy from him again. Looks them up on facebook - Billmayersaddles

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
Meyer's seats are good by all reports... Have a look in the For Sale section..... this one looks very similar to a Bill Meyer and I'm actually surprised it's not gone.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
35 Posts

I have had 2 FJR’s (2005 &2016), I got a Russell all day seat for both, and I would highly recommend the seat. My first Russell I took out of the box and rode 780 Kms, with no butt burn at all. My 2016 seat is more comfortable than the 2005 seat. They are expensive, but we’ll worth it if you do long distance riding. For both seats I purchased a seat pan from a junkyard online and had it shipped to Russell to modify, that way you don’t loose the use of your bike. Before I got the Russell I had a Saddleman gel and it was horrible, I would get butt burn just riding around town. Hope this helps with your decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm on a 2016 1300ES... after a few 7- 9 day rides, agree the stock seat(s) weren't cutting it; the angle of the front seat had a tendency to slide you forward onto the tank. I went Sargent aftermarket seats front and back. I like the bucket shaping of the rider seat and while it 'conforms' to the rider's butt, found it wanting padding-wise for long days. I added a Saddlemen Gel Seat (the 'large' fits the Sargent bucket perfectly)! It's held on with a strap that goes under the seat and a Velcro strip. Takes all of a minute to put on and you're rolling.. First day I tested it I noticed about an hour out.. that I "wasn't noticing". Perfect!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts